Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection speed down 33%... can i complain to sky

This is a discussion on Connection speed down 33%... can i complain to sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Ive been with SKY on max since January. Initially for the first 3 months my connection was around 4.2mb ...

drmurray is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Connection speed down 33%... can i complain to sky

Hi, Ive been with SKY on max since January.

Initially for the first 3 months my connection was around 4.2mb down... but somehow in the last 6 weeks I have dropped to 3mb. Nothing has changed in my setup/equipment. I have the Sagem Sky router box and I'm connected directly into the master socket. I dont have any connection issues and the line has been stable since it was connected (i used to be with BT in the pass and there I had over 4mb)

My stats are

Connection Speed Dwn 3068 kbps Up 518 kbps
      Line Attenuation Dwn 56.0 db Up 32.5 db
      Noise Margin Dwn 8.0db Up 10.0 db

The noise margin is always around 7.9 to 8.0

Bascially can I complain back to sky on why I've lost 33% of my performance in the last 6 weeks... or given my stats its just tough.

thanks

david

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection speed down 33%... can i complain to sky

Quote Originally Posted by drmurray View Post
      Bascially can I complain back to sky on why I've lost 33% of my performance in the last 6 weeks... or given my stats its just tough.
      There's really no room for improvement from looking at the stats unless DLM has ran and messed up the configuration. However, to make sure all is well internally before you call sky, swap over for another filter (if you have another) and plug into the test socket with just the filter and short grey dsl cable sky supplied. Re-take the stats and paste them here.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

clahman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drmurray View Post
      Hi, Ive been with SKY on max since January.

Initially for the first 3 months my connection was around 4.2mb down... but somehow in the last 6 weeks I have dropped to 3mb. Nothing has changed in my setup/equipment. I have the Sagem Sky router box and I'm connected directly into the master socket. I dont have any connection issues and the line has been stable since it was connected (i used to be with BT in the pass and there I had over 4mb)

My stats are

Connection Speed Dwn 3068 kbps Up 518 kbps
      Line Attenuation Dwn 56.0 db Up 32.5 db
      Noise Margin Dwn 8.0db Up 10.0 db

The noise margin is always around 7.9 to 8.0

thanks

david
      let us know how you get on, i've also lost about a third, going from a paltry 3mbs to less than 2mbs in a matter of 6 weeks.
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/2885251969.png
      windows8 64 bit ; sky broadband and sky talk ; sagem f@st ethernet router ; 1.90 firmware ; big computer.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Try the test socket as suggested, with the present stats you may be able to get an additional 500kbps if the line is capped and a call to sky will get it pushed up. Incidentally have you recently taken up sky talk line rental and received a letter saying they are moving you to the new sky network? If so the transfer to this new network can easily explain your loss in speed and is sadly quite common as sky's equipment in many exchanges seems to be further away from BT's.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB