Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else got Sky Broadband in Rugby? - ongoing problems

This is a discussion on Anyone else got Sky Broadband in Rugby? - ongoing problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Connection has been pretty bad over last couple of weeks with complete outage a about 3 weeks ago and again ...

humfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anyone else got Sky Broadband in Rugby? - ongoing problems

Connection has been pretty bad over last couple of weeks with complete outage a about 3 weeks ago and again monday just gone. Last sunday noticed that my router was resetting itself every 4 or 5 minutes which was followed by maintenance work at the exchange on the monday (hence the outage). Whenever I call Sky they don't really know what is happening at the exchange, just that work is going on. So here I am now typing away again as my router is again resetting itself every 4 or 5 minutes, so I guess tomorrow the connection will be down again if more work is needed at the exchange. Anyone else have Sky broadband in Rugby? Have similar issues? What are Sky doing? Is this basically down to the fact they have too many customers on the exchange and it is becoming too overloaded?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Anyone else got Sky Broadband in Rugby? - ongoing problems

Is this basically down to the fact they have too many customers on the exchange and it is becoming too overloaded?
      That is very unlikely. There are a set number of connections on an LLU enabled exchange and it is impossible to overload it. Plug into your Test sockets using only the cable supplied by Sky and see if the problem persists. Are you also having problems with your voice phone?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can't recall any issues at the exchange off the top of my head - did sky suggest the exchange keeps going down? I take it you're on the CMRUGB exchange? If you're not sure what exchange, check here: SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Can't recall any issues at the exchange off the top of my head - did sky suggest the exchange keeps going down? I take it you're on the CMRUGB exchange? If you're not sure what exchange, check here: SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search
      Yes thats the exchange we are on. All I know is that everytime we seem to have problems and I call Sky they say that 'planned maintenance' is happening at the exchange, and also that I am not the only customer in the area experiencing problems. In terms of the other question regarding the phone no there is no problem there, and even Sky did a line test and said that the BT line was fine. I really am not sure what to think next. As I type the router is going from solid green to flashing amber to solid green every 4 or 5 minutes and the chap I spoke too at Sky last week said that was probably as the router was spotting a problem on the line or the exchange which was resetting itself. Not sure if this is true. Before the broadband went completely down last week Sky were suggesting I pay them for a new router. Now in the end it was the work on the exchange that fixed the issue, so don't think its the router. All very strange.....

Thanks

Do you have Sky phone rental? If you do there is a good chance that the problems are being caused by moving you to the SVBN. Many have experienced problems with this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Do you have Sky phone rental? If you do there is a good chance that the problems are being caused by moving you to the SVBN. Many have experienced problems with this.
      Well we have the calls through Sky but the rental is still through BT. Sorry, showing my ignorance here but what is SVBN?

Thanks

Sky Voice and Broadband Network. Sky's new 'state of the art highspeed network' which is anything but if the complaints on the forum are anything to go by.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky Voice and Broadband Network. Sky's new 'state of the art highspeed network' which is anything but if the complaints on the forum are anything to go by.
      So might that be a problem if I just have broadband and calls? I.e. not line rental? Just logged on and its happening again. Every 4 or 5 minutes. Solid green, then flashing amber and then solid green again. Really starting to pee me off now. Will call Sky later and spend the usual 30 mins waiting for the Indian call centre to convince them to put me through to someone who can help. One question though - is there any chance my router is too blame? I'm thinking not as whenever I have had problems before and they have since done work on the exchange its fixed itself for a time. When I call I think I will get the usual "well what do you expect for nothing" and the well we think its your router and that will be 28 please for a new one.....

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Out of my own curiosity, I'll check when I'm in tomorrow whether CMRUGB definitely is under maintenance. If you're just dropping sync (internet @ light going off and on) then I highly doubt this is down to an exchange issue, but then again I may be wrong.

If you only have calls, and not line rental, then you won't be on SVBN. Even if you did have line rental, there are quite a number of exchanges that still aren't updated to SVBN.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well called Sky and have been speaking to a really helpful lady for last 30 minutes or so. Apparently I have a very poor signal to noise ratio of -8 on my upstream which should be +7 or 8. She thinks there is a problem with my BT line (battery contact/line clash or damage whatever that is), has put a request out to BT to check and will update me tomorrow night. She asked me to pull out any micro filters that didn't have any phone, etc in them and also tested the router when connected to master socket and also test socket, so she's pretty convinced the problem is outside the house but lets see what happens tomorrow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast