Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Noise Margin suddenly dropped, 25% packet loss

This is a discussion on Noise Margin suddenly dropped, 25% packet loss within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If it only fluctuates slightly there is no reason not to ask them to do it now....

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Noise Margin suddenly dropped, 25% packet loss

If it only fluctuates slightly there is no reason not to ask them to do it now.

2. Advertisement
      reverend is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NW10
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

An extraordinary thing happened to my connection on Sunday. I woke up and noticed that my connection had become unstable again, logged into the router and discovered that my modem had resyched at a much higher speed of 9.7MB down and ust under 1MB up. I called Sky, who reported that my line could handle a maximum speed of 5MB down. This number seems to be different every time they run a test. They were unable to speculate as to why my modem had resyched at a higher speed.

Anyway, I explained that my connection was unstable at that speed, and asked that they reduce it to 6.3MB down, despite the line test indicating that the safest speed was 5MB (i explained that the line test results seem to be unreliable as the result is different each time they run the test). Sky did this, but my connetion remained unstable, with the Noise Margin increasing every few seconds to billions of decibels. I asked Sky to reduce my upload speed aswell to pre-Sunday levels. Once they did this, my connection appeared to become stable, but the noise margin still fluctuates occasionally between 0db and billions of db.

My question now is, as the line still appears to suffer from an intermittent service impacts, and the speed seems low considering I am only 1.7KM from the exchange in a brand new property, should I report to BT that I would like them to investigate intermittent increases in noise on my line, and as these are not impacting my voice service (provided by BT) will they even care? It seems like the next logical step as I have already taken the following steps (in chronological order):

1. Removed all extension wiring
      2. Rewired Master socket correctly
      3. Replaced ethernet and RJ11 wiring
      4. Replaced ADSL faceplate
      5. Replaced Master Socket
      6. Asked Sky to limit sych speeds to 6.3MB/724kb

Thanks all

rev

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Ring BT and tell them you have noise on the line, do not mention the broadband issue as that will confuse thing, once BT sort out the voice side, the BB side should be sorted too.

Thanks

righto thanks.

BT engineer booked.

Presumably before they arrive I should put the BT master socket back on? I had replaced it with one that I bought myself (without the BT logo on)
      Last edited by reverend; 30-07-10 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added sig
      Due to speed envy, I ran this speed test from my office

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Presumably before they arrive I should put the BT master socket back on? I had replaced it with one that I bought myself (without the BT logo on)
      If it has a BT Logo, just leave it, if it is faulty the engineer will replace it..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Useful update here. BT called today. They could not detect any problems with my line, but they did provision me onto an alternative line from the box in the street to the exchange, and also replace the 'module and fuses' (?) in the exchange.

Not a lot of change: Noise margin increased by 1db.

Current stats attached. My sync speed is currently capped at my request, so I would not expect it to sync any higher that this. If it remains stable I will ask Sky to do another line test and see if i remain stable at a higher speed.

If this exercise does not prove fruitful, I will just leave it at that and accept what i have: a stable connection at about 6MB
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noise Margin suddenly dropped, 25% packet loss-stats.jpg  

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

As long as the noise margin stays as it is within reason you should see 10mb or there abouts.

Thanks

Thanks Smithy99

Thanks

Hi guys,

as reported, I have been monitoring the status of my line following changes that BT made to it. A couple of days ago, for some reason, my Noise Margin dropped from 17db to 14db. I know that is still OK, but it seemed to have no explanation as my setup had not changed, so I started to wonder if there is something else going on other than noise on the line.

I ran the Routerstats tool and listened to BT's "quiet" test line for several minutes. What became apparent was that my Noise Margin is actually dropping out to between 7 and 4db regulary: every few minutes. Listening to the line though, there is no audible artifact on the line when the dropouts occur, and no noise at any other time either. The line certainly sounds clear.

At the beginning of this thread, simonmpoulton advised that the problem could be my router. Bearing in mind the steps that I have taken to address the problem (rewired, replaced all sockets and cables) and the steps BT have taken (reprovisioned line) and the steps Sky have taken (capping sync speed), I was wondering how likely it is that the router is actually the case and if so, is there a best way to approach that with Sky?

Please see attached Routerstats screenshot.

Thanks as ever for your help.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noise Margin suddenly dropped, 25% packet loss-noisemargin-2010aug09-1932.jpg   Noise Margin suddenly dropped, 25% packet loss-noisemargin-2010aug09-2035.jpg  
      Last edited by reverend; 10-08-10 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have another router or do you know anyone who could loan you their Sky router to test it?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast