Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky netgear and ipad connection

This is a discussion on Sky netgear and ipad connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i just bought a ipad and have some issues with the wireless connection and dropouts, the dropouts only happen ...

mark1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky netgear and ipad connection

Hi, i just bought a ipad and have some issues with the wireless connection and dropouts, the dropouts only happen when i move 20 +ft away from the router, i seem to have a wildly fluctuating signal strength, but it only happens with the ipad, the laptop works pretty much anywhere in the house even out in the garden, so the ipad is the weak link.

So how to fix it, i have a spare sky netgear router and wondered if i could plug it in upstairs and form a wireless bridge, but TBH i don't have the first clue how to do it, or maybe just boost the signal from the main router in the living room.

Can anyone offer me some help please.

Mark.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky netgear and ipad connection

Wireless Bridging - The SKY routers dont support it, you can however run a cable between them and set up a second wireless access point.

As it only happens on the ipad you may want to go onto apples forums regarding it.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Wireless Bridging - The SKY routers dont support it, you can however run a cable between them and set up a second wireless access point.

As it only happens on the ipad you may want to go onto apples forums regarding it.
      Thanks, i have a Ethernet cable spare upstairs thats connected to my router downstairs so that seems the logical way to go, is there anywhere that has a step by step guide to setting it up please.

Mark.

sbarkeri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSHI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark1000 View Post
      Thanks, i have a Ethernet cable spare upstairs thats connected to my router downstairs so that seems the logical way to go, is there anywhere that has a step by step guide to setting it up please.

Mark.
      1. Plug in the spare router directly into your PC, ensure you are not connected to your other router whilst doing this.

2. Login to the routers interface and change the router's IP address so that it doesn't conflict with the Sky one.

3. Turn off DHCP on your spare router.

4. Set the wireless channel to something different than the Sky one, however keep the WPA key, SSID exactly the same.

5. Connect the routers using the ethernet, if your spear router is a Cable (Virgin Media) router, plug the ethernet into one of the LAN ports, not WAN!

Thats pretty much all there is to it, obviously all routers vary so you should consult the manual if you are unsure on how to do any of the above.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sbarkeri View Post
      1. Plug in the spare router directly into your PC, ensure you are not connected to your other router whilst doing this.

2. Login to the routers interface and change the router's IP address so that it doesn't conflict with the Sky one.

3. Turn off DHCP on your spare router.

4. Set the wireless channel to something different than the Sky one, however keep the WPA key, SSID exactly the same.

5. Connect the routers using the ethernet, if your spear router is a Cable (Virgin Media) router, plug the ethernet into one of the LAN ports, not WAN!

Thats pretty much all there is to it, obviously all routers vary so you should consult the manual if you are unsure on how to do any of the above.
      Everything there I agree with bar #4, having identical SSID's with the same WPA keys can cause serious problems if the device can see them both at the same time (highly likely). Your much better off choosing a new SSID and then just telling the respective computer which access point to connect to.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks guys.

First, thanks for your help so far, now i must apologise for my complete lack of knowledge and terminology.

Both my routers are the Sky Netgear V1 DG834GT, is that ok ?.

#1 Do i change the IP in spare router in the ( settings/lan ip setup ) and is it just the last digit, at the moment it is ( 1 )

#2 Turn off DHCP on your spare router, is that in the same place ( settings/lan ip setup )

#4 Set the wireless channel to something different than the Sky one, however keep the WPA key, SSID exactly the same.

Do i do this in ( setup/wireless settings )

#5 Connect the routers using the ethernet, if your spear router is a Cable (Virgin Media) router, plug the ethernet into one of the LAN ports, not WAN

My spare router is the same as the Sky Netgear V1 DG834GT, so i just connect the two routers with a ethernet cable.

I'm not sure what the LAN socket is, there are four sockets all the same which i use to connect my PC, is it one of those i use?

Once again, sorry.

Mark.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark1000 View Post
      Thanks guys.

First, thanks for your help so far, now i must apologise for my complete lack of knowledge and terminology.

Both my routers are the Sky Netgear V1 DG834GT, is that ok ?.

#1 Do i change the IP in spare router in the ( settings/lan ip setup ) and is it just the last digit, at the moment it is ( 1 )

#2 Turn off DHCP on your spare router, is that in the same place ( settings/lan ip setup )

#4 Set the wireless channel to something different than the Sky one, however keep the WPA key, SSID exactly the same.

Do i do this in ( setup/wireless settings )

#5 Connect the routers using the ethernet, if your spear router is a Cable (Virgin Media) router, plug the ethernet into one of the LAN ports, not WAN

My spare router is the same as the Sky Netgear V1 DG834GT, so i just connect the two routers with a ethernet cable.

I'm not sure what the LAN socket is, there are four sockets all the same which i use to connect my PC, is it one of those i use?

Once again, sorry.

Mark.
      As I said dont use the same SSID or channel. You just change the last digit of the IP address and dhcp settings are in the lan setup page. Any of the 4 lan sockets can be connected it doesnt matter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      As I said dont use the same SSID or channel. You just change the last digit of the IP address and dhcp settings are in the lan setup page. Any of the 4 lan sockets can be connected it doesnt matter.
      Thanks, i'll give it a go.

Mark.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, it worked, but i still have very poor range if i move away from either router, if i move more than 10 feet away from either router my signal strength drops to one bar on my ipad, i get full strength from both routers as long as i stay in the same room, the whole point of doing this was to site my spare router upstairs in the back room to cover the bedrooms and garden, it hasn't worked.

So, is there a way to boost either router or both to increase the range.

Mark.

Thanks

Have you used a program such as InssIDER to verify your not conflicting with neighbours channels? Have you deselected Auto 108 mode and used g and b?
      The Ipad generally just has a crap wireless range in comparison to other laptops etc, the router has to work harder to send the signal, if changing those settings dont help then you'll just have to accept that it's the ipad that's the problem. The only way to boost the router range really is to fit bigger more powerful antennas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast