Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re-cabling - worth it or not?

This is a discussion on Re-cabling - worth it or not? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Whilst not being completely alien to broadband setup, I'm also far from an expert so wondered if anybody had ...

russ_g_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cleveleys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re-cabling - worth it or not?

Hi,

Whilst not being completely alien to broadband setup, I'm also far from an expert so wondered if anybody had any advice for me. I'm trying to get the best connection possible as 2 of my kids are running Xbox Live along with us running a couple of laptops. Forgive me if this waffles on a bit

I changed over to Sky in June and went live with Sky Unlimited in middle of June. After the 10 day period for Sky to set-up my connection, it was set at 3Mbps. With my previous ISP (Plusnet) I was getting around 16Mbps. I contacted Sky who did a check and found I had a lot of errors on my line and asked my to test my line stats. Testing it on the extension I was running off gave me a downstream of around 4000kbps und upstream of around 300kbps. Testing from the test socket gave me 8190kbps and 766kbps respectively. As this to me showed a problem with the extension line, I hard wired it into the NTE5 socket last night and, across the extension, achieved the same speeds as from the test - 8190kbps and 766kbps. I asked Sky if I should be getting higher than this and they said it would have been capped at 8190 during the testing but, now I've sorted the extension out, they will reconfigure. I'll wait and see what I get then.

Anyway, during the last few weeks of having this problem, I've been doing a bit of reading up on set-ups. My current extension is a straight wire bog standard telephone extension (of which I also removed the bell wire last night at the master socket!). I'm thinking of buying one of the ADSL filtering faceplates for the NTE5 sockets and also a cat5e extension kit and hardwiring this in. Does anybody think this is worth doing now or waiting to see what connection I end up with once Sky have reconfigured?

Also, if I am to do this, my current extension cable runs under the downstairs floor boards for around 7m from the hall to the dining room. My downstairs no longer has carpets, I've gone solid floor throughout and so I cannot lift it. What I was thinking of doing was taping the cat5 cable to the existing extension cable and pulling it it under the floor boards to the point where I want it. It's a relatively straight run so no tight corners to go round so it should work. My only concern with this is that there are mains cables also under the floorboards and I will not be able to control where the cat5 cable runs so will probably end up near the mains cable in places. Would any form of shielded cable help me here or is it not worth worrying about?

Thanks in advance,

Russ.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Re-cabling - worth it or not?

I've run CAT5 near mains cable before without problems, you may have issue if your using the cat5 for a phone extension but if your using it from the router it should be fine.
      Fitting a filtered faceplate onto your NTE5 will provide the best possible speed your line is capable of, so I would recommend getting one on as soon as possible.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A filtered faceplate will always give the best results if you have extensions. For the extension the BT NTE2000 extension kit is as good as you can get (also available in 30m length), forget shielded-totally pointless as there is no ground for the shield, it could make things worse! If you need a telephone at the router end too you substitute the socket that comes in the kit for one of these. Re: pulling the new cable in, this should not be a problem but TIE the cables together as well as tape! If it snags for any reason tape can slip off, a knot won't!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

My intention is to run the cat5 from the (soon to be filtered) master socket and use it as a dedicated ADSL extension only.

Thanks

Russ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Reulling the new cable in, this should not be a problem but TIE the cables together as well as tape! If it snags for any reason tape can slip off, a knot won't!!
      Good point. I'll remeber to do that. Would be my luck to lose it!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russ_g_uk View Post
      My intention is to run the cat5 from the (soon to be filtered) master socket and use it as a dedicated ADSL extension only.

Thanks

Russ
      In which case the NTE2000 extension kit is as good as it gets, CAT5e spec cable(but 3 pair).

Unless you mean have the router next to the master and run CAT5e as an ETHERNET extension? In which case you need CAT5e cable.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Nofews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

No, Change your Isp it will be cheaper & more beneficial, Sky lie they've been telling me my Internal wiring was the cause of a 6Meg connection speed. My lines capable of receiving the full 20Meg Sky offer but they refuse & pity me with 14Meg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      In which case the NTE2000 extension kit is as good as it gets, CAT5e spec cable(but 3 pair).

Unless you mean have the router next to the master and run CAT5e as an ETHERNET extension? In which case you need CAT5e cable.
      Thanks, yes its the first option for me. I need the router in the dining room away from the master socket but I don't need the extension to accept telephone, just ADSL.

Nofews,
      To be totally fair to Sky, this turned out to be a problem with my wiring and they have been nothing more than helpful. Besides I'm in there for minimum 12 months

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nofews View Post
      No, Change your Isp it will be cheaper & more beneficial, Sky lie they've been telling me my Internal wiring was the cause of a 6Meg connection speed. My lines capable of receiving the full 20Meg Sky offer but they refuse & pity me with 14Meg
      Could someone just ban this kid?

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your help in this thread. As it will give me the best possible line, I am going to go for the NTE2000 extension kit.

Since I joined the forums today and posted this thread, I received a pm from Steve at Sky Network Services. As I believe most of you are aware, SNS are running a trial to explore fault reporting via alternative mediums such as Twitter, and here on Sky User but, due to limited resources, not yet fully available to the public whilst they are evaluating this method of support. Steve looked into my connection speed and, within minutes, my downstream cap of 8190 had been lifted and set at 14500 .

So, once again, Thanks everyone,

Russ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast