Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nightmare 2 months

This is a discussion on Nightmare 2 months within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ever since they have upgraded the local terminus for the telephone lines to fibre we have had nothing but problems ...

dLockers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Nightmare 2 months

Ever since they have upgraded the local terminus for the telephone lines to fibre we have had nothing but problems with our broadband. Previously we had consistent 6mbit speeds, which I was 'okay' with as I download a lot, speed wasn't too much of a bother I just wanted unlimited bandwidth.

Anyway, decided once and for all to get it sorted, so I ripped out all the extensions, had BT come over and install the new faceplate with the fuse inside (free), test the line, and moved the router into the hall onto the main socket (currently, in the 'test' socket). I then ran a Cat5e cable upstairs to my room and whacked on a new Netgear ProSafe managed switch.

Great, phoned them up, said sort it out, okay, brilliant, 12mbit speed! Over the moon - job done. However, as before, the speed has now started tumbling, yesterday it was 12mbit consistent, odd disconnect during the day, then 11mbit, few more disconnects during the day, then today it has now dropped to 9mbit, then 8mbit, and now it sits around that.

Currently on the phone to Sky now and they are just ignoring the intermittent disconnection problems as per usual, and just focusing on whacking the speed backup to 12mbit, i'd rather have 6 and a stable connection...

Any idea where I can go from here, or what to do??

I have a feeling it is infact the router, as sometimes the ethernet goes unresponsive, and I run a pretty hardcore network here (7 wired connections, xbox360, ps3, 3 computers constantly sharing, a windows home server constantly sharing/backing up/updating) but the managed switch should have removed all this load from the router.

Ripping my hair out, help?!

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Nightmare 2 months

Your stats show you cannot get much more with the vurrent setup so something has changed.

Are you using a filtered faceplate? or do you have it directly into the TEST socket, if it is in the test socket have you checked all the other extensions are dead? post the stats from there.

Ensure if all filteres are checked if you are using them.

Thanks

It is currently into the test socket.

All extensions are dead (actually CUT off, dead, doing nothing to no-one), I have a clear view of the line coming into the house from 'road' and into my hall, then into the router. There is only one telephone socket and the router being plugged in.

Filters have been changed.

Something has 100% changed at 7:30, it was swapped from ADSL2+ to the GDMT, maxing it out at 8.6mbit. HOWEVER, the speed dropped before this after a few disconnects (NOT because it was swapped to GDMT).

I have no idea what has changed, and the guy on the phone (who i'm still talking to currently) is being a bit despondent regarding historical records monitoring my line saying they haven't 'updated'???

Thanks

Back on ADSL2+ now, above is my stats.

Might just have to 'lump it' with 8.6mb with the 2 forms of noise protection to sort out the stability issue...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you're only worried about stability, then I'm surprised sky didn't up your target SNRs and stick the impulse noise protection to a few symbols. How many times is it dropping out per hour, say?

Thanks

Per hour it isn't /that/ bad. It is more so a case of 4-5 disconnects a day, and then when it renegotiates a line it will be at a different speed.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If it's dropping then syncing at a lower speed that indicates the noise has dropped significantly that the router cant cope with it (normal, some routers cope with it better than others). If it's randomly dropping and sync speed is increasing and decreasing all over the place then it sounds more like a line fault.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Try rebooting the router between 10pm and midnight, this is when line noise is at it's greatest.

You will be synched at a lower rate but you should be able to stay up all day.

If you still keep on getting disconnects then it may be a line fault.

This was one of the reasons I left Sky as I had a terribly unstable line with them yet I was very stable with BT before and o2 afterwards.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are using a Pro Safe switch you are obviously up on technical matters and know what you are doing, have you considered trying with your own router. One with the ability to set the noise margin would be best, but another router may be more stable anyway.

You should know that doing this is against the T & Cs, but many do it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are using a Pro Safe switch you are obviously up on technical matters and know what you are doing, have you considered trying with your own router. One with the ability to set the noise margin would be best, but another router may be more stable anyway.

You should know that doing this is against the T & Cs, but many do it.
      I have tried a DGN2000 however it died last week, just waiting on a draytek vigor 2120 to hit my budget and will be continuing with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast