Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Changed Line rental from BT to Sky. PROBLEMS!!

This is a discussion on Changed Line rental from BT to Sky. PROBLEMS!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by johnwiggy Thanks. I wasn't saying I had a problem with Tier 1, it's just frustrating when you ...

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Re: Changed Line rental from BT to Sky. PROBLEMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwiggy View Post
      Thanks. I wasn't saying I had a problem with Tier 1, it's just frustrating when you call back and feel you have to start at square one again going through checks you already have done! My filters are fine and i'm in the master socket. Hopefully the notes will have scripted up on my account and i will get passed through.

Who are CST? Should i be asking for these when I call again on Monday?

Thanks
      Customer Solutions Team. They are the next team up, and have access to the systems that not all tier one agents have, so they should be able to resolve your issue.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Assuming you have one, were you ever told by any agents to plug into your test socket? Do you have any noise on the landline ever since the move to sky talk?

I'd reckon you've been moved to SVBN (sky voice and broadband network - sky's mpf service that is fully unbundled) after the move to sky talk line rental. If so, then it's not a case of being capped. If you've been in the test socket, or if you don't have one, the master socket with all other devices unplugged, with a swapped filter and no extension cables in use, then a replacement router (doubtful) or an engineer is needed.

johnwiggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01772
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sanity : I got put through to these following speaking to the first person. The second did some tinkering with the line (the router went down and back up again a few times) and then said he had to put me through to someone else, which involved a 10min wait on hold before they said the line was at it's maximum. I don't know who this was but I couldn't get through to him that only a few days earlier my speed was around the 1.5 - 2 Mb.

It's so frustrating, i just want one person to take ownership and give me a straight answer and for it to be returned to how it was or preferably better!

User05: Yes I've done the test socket, no I don't get any noise on the line for voice calls and the filters are fine. Also no extension cables are used. It all coincided with the change from BT to SKY for the line rental.

Thanks, John
      Last edited by johnwiggy; 03-07-10 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added text

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you got through to a non svbn tier one agent, its possible after completing the troubleshooting you were passed through to svbn tier one. This is assuming you are on svbn, so you need to ask that when you call again. Either way, make sure you are put through to cst. It may well be that you just got an idiot the first time. It could also be a router issue, and cst would have to be the department to replace it if so.

I would definitely take them up on the offer of an engineer if they have suggested it though.

Thanks

Thanks.

I doubt it's a router issue as it seemed to coincide with the change in line rental, although it is the original white one I've had for ages now.

I'm not sure what SVBN is or if I'm on it. I'm on the now defunct sky mid package with the 10GB download limit. I know I have exceeded this the last few months having checked on MYSKY but I've not had any emails or letters about this.

I phoned today and spoke to a sales person about switching to the unlimited package and she is calling me back tommorrow. However I'm not wanting to sign up for another 12months if I'm getting the kind of speeds I'm currently getting..

Exchange:
      Thanks

The unlimited package will be 7.50 a month for you as you have sky talk, and a lot of people have it not necessarily for speeds but for unlimited usage. But you are quite right, you need to see if this issue can be resolved first before you sign any further contracts. Get the engineer out and if necessary let them replace the router to get things sorted.

Don't let them put you on everyday lite. Its free but there is a 2gb usage limit, so its a bit of a waste of time.

Thanks

Well it's same old problem today, here are todays router figures:

Connection Speed 243 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 71.0 db 45.6 db
      Noise Margin 21.9 db 11.8 db

Looks like I'm still getting less than dialup speeds...

Why would I have a quicker upload than download speed? Anyone any suggestions for when I call back on Monday as to who I should be asking to be put through to and what my options are if the engineer says there are no faults on the line??

Thanks

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

It isn't a line fault. You are capped or DLM may be runnig after the change to Sky equipment at the exchange end. Make sure if possible you are in your master / test socket when you call, tell them you changed to SVBN recently and need your line reset.

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Interesting that you line attenuation has changed from 63 to 71 - thats a heck of a change. Also that doesnt really look like a capped speed to me - it seems a bit odd that they would cap the download speed, yet the upload speed is faster ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It looks capped, but I reckon it's not. The attenuation is showing its 'proper' figure as the line code has been changed to adsl2plus.

Assuming this is an svbn line, the case should be open at CST (customer solutions team) to call you back after the openreach visit to confirm whether the issue is fixed. If you're still having the same issues, then I believe in circumstances where the line has degraded significantly (if I'm correct, I thought ISPs had to provide a service of at least 256kbps), and happened once moved to svbn, then CST can e-mail/conact nvn-fm (fault management) to check if anything else can be done or to investigate further.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast