Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow d/l speeds and regular disconnects

This is a discussion on Slow d/l speeds and regular disconnects within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I hope someone out there can help, please. For about a month now (maybe longer) i have been ...

Misplaced is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow d/l speeds and regular disconnects

Hi all,

I hope someone out there can help, please. For about a month now (maybe longer) i have been having problems with disconnections and slow d/l speeds. It's driving me and my son who plays WOW mad!!

A bit of info about my connection - i do not have a test socket in the house as it is quite an old telephone setup. The router is connected to the main socket in the house and the ring wire is disconnected. It is not pssible for me to connect permanantly through Ethernet as i would prefer to redo the whole telephone wiring setup and include Ethernet, at this time but money is not available to do this. Out of curiosity how muh would it be to rewire the telephone setup? I would have to get someone in to do it as my health is not too good at the mo.

Anyway, back to the disconnects and slow d/ls - i have posted my router stats below if you need anything else please let me know what and how to provide the info.

System Up Time: 33:43:57
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 960040 1367370 0 784 27038 20:14:42
      LAN 100M/Full 46699 0 0 65 0 33:43:52
      WLAN 11M/54M 1489869 1108648 0 17251 644 33:43:40
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5950 kbps 966 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36 db 19 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 8 db

These are my speedchecker results as at 7:15 today

Download - 2176 kbs
      Upload - 798 kbs

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow d/l speeds and regular disconnects

With a good setup, you should be getting double that speed.

Sorting out the phone side is actually very easy to do. You need to buy a couple of things, the first is an NTE5 master socket and a filtered faceplate to go with it.

This will replace your current master socket and just connects with a couple of wires to the screw terminals on the back. You can then connect the rest of the phone extensions (if you have any) to the filtered faceplate to stop them creating noise on the ADL side.

You will have to use the new ADSL faceplate you have fitted as the router connection point but other than that, you should be good to go. Approx cost around 20 and a very easy task, just a small screwdrive and an IDC tool required which you can buy for 1 along with the rest of the stuff from runitdirect or ADSL Nation.

If you then need to pipe the signal around the house, you could buy a couple of homeplugs to save you running in wires.

That said, you connection should curently be good eonough to play WOW or any other online game, if you are using wireless, try a wire and see if it improves or log into the router and swap the wireless channel, try 13 and work down until you find the best one for you.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      With a good setup, you should be getting double that speed.

Sorting out the phone side is actually very easy to do. You need to buy a couple of things, the first is an NTE5 master socket and a filtered faceplate to go with it.

This will replace your current master socket and just connects with a couple of wires to the screw terminals on the back. You can then connect the rest of the phone extensions (if you have any) to the filtered faceplate to stop them creating noise on the ADL side.

You will have to use the new ADSL faceplate you have fitted as the router connection point but other than that, you should be good to go. Approx cost around 20 and a very easy task, just a small screwdrive and an IDC tool required which you can buy for 1 along with the rest of the stuff from runitdirect or ADSL Nation.

If you then need to pipe the signal around the house, you could buy a couple of homeplugs to save you running in wires.

That said, you connection should curently be good eonough to play WOW or any other online game, if you are using wireless, try a wire and see if it improves or log into the router and swap the wireless channel, try 13 and work down until you find the best one for you.

What would you say is my 'master socket' as i have a little white box at the front door with one wire coming out and this then leads to another socket that has all the extensions and 'main' phone line.

I have the IDC tool would be able to provide the links for the required items i don't want to by the wrong items

Thanks in advance.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

ADSL Nation LTD.
      Filter faceplate as for the NTE5 try and get one with the BT logo on from ebay.

If you plan to run ethernet cable in the future i would *not* recommend wasting money on homeplugs, they are vastly inferior and cost more than a good ethernet setup.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Before i start messing with phone wires i need an answer to the following.

in the instructions for the installation of the faceplate with test socket it states 'The XTE-2005 is designed to replace the removable bottom section on the standard NTE-5 master socket as shown in the illustration above. If your socket does not have a split design with a removable section then the socket is either not the master socket or is part of an old installation where the XTE-2005 will not fit'.

As i stated earlier my phone comes into the house to a very small white box and from there the wire goes to a phone socket that the router is connected to and all the extensions go from.

So taking this into account can i use the EXTE-2005? if not what what is the solution?

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

You also need a new NTE5 Master socket to replace your current socket, your adsl
      faceplate will then connect to this

NTE5 Master Telephone Socket (NTB5)

Ideally you could really do with the new master socket fitted in place of the little
      junction box your talking about if thats feasible, if not you will have to have it in place
      of your current old style master socket, in ether case your extension socket wiring will
      connect to the filtered side of the rear of the adsl faceplate

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Apart from your wiring there is something else wrong with your set up. With a sync of nearly 6Mb you should easily be getting a download speed of over 5 Mb. What OS are you using, if it is XP then download and use TCPOptimiser from the link below to optimise your connection. If you are running Vista or Win 7, check that you do not have a trojan or other malware present, or even P2P running in the background.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

NTE5 box your looking for is ebay item #150461499991
      The guy seems to sell a fair few of them I got one from him a month or so ago, very reliable and if BT come round because it has there logo on it they cant say you've been tampering with it - which by all accounts you'll have to as you should swap the junction box mentioned with it. If it's like the one I saw recently you prise the front off identify which side is BT's and which is your internal wiring then carefully cut the two wires connected at BT's side (trust me they carry a voltage it's safer to just cut them than try and unscrew them considering the current NTE5's use IDC and you dont need the cable ends stripped) on your side of the wiring do the same (good idea to label which cable goes where for reference). After that it should just be two screws holding it on so take them out take the box off and then fit the backbox with the NTE5 and route the cables from BT onto the back terminals of the middle piece of the NTE5 and then all your wiring off the front faceplate of the NTE5.
      Hope that helps

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

[QUOTE=simonmpoulton;277342i would *not* recommend wasting money on homeplugs, they are vastly inferior and cost more than a good ethernet setup.[/QUOTE]

I agree that they are more costly than a simple cable but they have their benefits in that they are easily moved. Not sure why you think they are vastly inferior though, mine work great and I have seen very few complaints about them.

You can pick up a pair of Comtrend ones for around 30-40 on e-bay that run upto 200mbps.

Thanks

I've tried both the 80mb ones and the 200mb ones. I got about 500kilobytes/sec or 5mb thoroughput with the supposedly "80mb" ones and about 2megabytes/sec or 20mb with the "200mb" ones. Considering an ethernet cable gets 10megabytes/sec or 100mb (more if gigabit) that's why I think they're vastly inferior particularly when you consider the cost