Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

first day activated

This is a discussion on first day activated within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN PPPoA 18091 19676 0 426 1577 0:35:15 LAN ...

andreic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

first day activated

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 18091 19676 0 426 1577 0:35:15
      LAN 37147 33084 0 1733 652 0:35:58
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1020 kbps 253 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 11.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 18.7 db

These are my stats. What speeds could I expect? Also, is it normal for the speed to start from 1 mbps?

Thank you.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: first day activated

There is something seriously, seriously wrong with those stats.

- How many telephone sockets do you use in the house?
      - Is the router plugged into the master socket?
      - Are you running the router off an extension cable?
      - Does every telephone socket in use have a microfilter (two way white box with the words 'phone' and 'modem') connected directly into the telephone socket, with NOTHING before the filter?
      - Do you have sky tv plugged in anywhere? More specifically, is there a blank white two-way adapter referred to as a 'splitter' plugged in?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

No its not normal. You have a very serious problem somewhere. The downstream noise margin indicates that you are getting as much as your line can handle which is ridiculous with an attenuation of 22dbs.

Plug into the Test socket using only the cables supplied by Sky and post your stats from there.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I live in a flat, and there's 2 identical wall sockets. Neither one looks like the test socket in the picture.

The phone is not in use at the moment - the line has just been activated about 3 hours ago.

The router runs off the telephone cable plugged into the microfilter that Sky supplied.

Sky tv is not plugged into a microfilter, it's plugged into another wall socket marked satellite, far away from the wall socket that I'm using for the router. I doubt it's causing any interference.

Could this be due to the fact that I seem to be on the Everyday Lite package instead of the Unlimited? I tried contacting sky to have it upgraded to what I'd ordered initially, but I've not received a reply yet.

Thank you.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you know which socket is the master/main socket?
      Also, is there any noise on the landline?

Just to clarify, is the set-up as follows-

telephone socket > microfilter > router
      telephone socket > sky tv

If so, get a filter connected on the socket where the tv is plugged into.

If it already does have a filter, then unplug every device in the house and plug just a filter and the grey dsl cable in. Do this in both sockets and note the stats from both sockets and post them up.

Thanks

The phone is not in use at the moment - the line has just been activated about 3 hours ago.
      If it is a new phone line just activated it can take some time to 'settle in'. If this is the case, give it a few days and see if there is any improvement. It would not matter what package you are on, Everyday Lite has a download speed the same as Unlimited. It is the noise margin which is the problem.

User05 was referring to the phone connection for the Sky box, not the TV connection. It does not matter where it is, if it is plugged into the phone line without a filter it will effect the broadband.

Flats are often a problem as the actual master socket is often fitted in a service cupboard. Have a look inside your sockets see if there is one with a capacitor, this is the master socket. If neither have a capacitor then you have an external Master so you should look for the one with 2 cables going into it. This will be the first one on the line, so in theory should give the best results. It can be replaced with an NTE5 if required.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Just to clarify, is the set-up as follows-

telephone socket > microfilter > router
      telephone socket > sky tv
      The sky box is not currently connected to a phone socket, but I'll have a microfilter in place when it is anyway.

I'll give it a few days to see if it gets better. What are my options if it doesn't? Is this fixable at all?

I don't know if it's relevant, but the router disconnected a few times and the noise margin keeps going up. Also, I don't show up as having a broadband connection at all when I log on to the sky website, so maybe that has something to do with it as well?

Current stats:
      Connection Speed 1020 kbps 253 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 11.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 18.8 db

Thank you both for the prompt replies.

Thanks

I think you are still on a test signal. It should sort itself out after a few days when the phone line is properly recognised. There is not much you can do at the moment, give it a few days then post back.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

New stats:
      Connection Speed 12151 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 11.2 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 15.6 db

On the account management page, it says there's no line testing going on - does this mean DLM hasn't started yet, or that it's already finished?

Also, I'm still on the Lite package, and when I emailed them using the form, to ask to be upgraded, I was told by one of their support people that I need to wait for 30 days, even though when I ordered I'd ordered the Unlimited package. If I go over the allowance, will I be charged for it, or just simply upgraded? I can't find the extra charges anywhere on their website.

Thanks

Does it say something like, 'your line has been set to XXMbps down and XXMbps up'? If so it means the testing is finished. If there is nothing shown, it does not mean much as the webpage can take a long time to catch up with 'real life'.

I would not worry about being on the Lite package, use it as normal and you will be Auto Upgraded if they do not get round to fixing it manually. There are no charges for going over an allowance.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast