Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modem keeps losing connection + Terrible speed

This is a discussion on Modem keeps losing connection + Terrible speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ive been a sky user for over a year now. The service itself has been pretty aweful for my needs. ...

Chrisazgo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Modem keeps losing connection + Terrible speed

Ive been a sky user for over a year now. The service itself has been pretty aweful for my needs. Though i have rang them multiple times to try fix it and got no where. My connection has always been very slow at primetime except on fridays and saturdays. The other nights im constantly getting lag spikes on any games(with a stable 500+ ping otherwise) and watching streaming video or downloading is pretty much immpossible.
      I have however just kept going and tried to do the best i can with online games and make the most of the days i have off - where the connection is completely different.

The past 4 days though my modem has started to drop all the time. daytime/night time i will just suffer a full disconnect on whatever i was doing and the 3rd light on the modem(sagem) will disappear and then flash orange for awhile. Sometimes reconnecting after a short 20-30secs, sometimes taking several trys and minutes. if i manage to keep it stable for awhile it usually is so slow that the google main takes takes over 10sec+ to load. Ive also tried to play online games but am booted instantly from server with a 20k+ ping. there have been some hours where it was been reasonable though.

I was considering ringing support up but ive had really bad experience in the past. the last time i rung the person basically told me no one in the uk can run any applications or stream videos during primetime its just a nationwide problem because theres too many internet users these days. Im not a moron and was shocked at the bs they were telling me.

So im trying this forum to see if anyone can suggest anything, the last helpful person i spoke to recommended me to change away from sky as they dont have a LLU in my exchange and that was what is causing my terrible speed at primetime. SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Grantham (EMGRHAM) Exchange
      I dont mind keeping the bad ping/download speed if it stays connected but that is the main issue now. I cant even have a skype conversation anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also is there any info i can get off my router that would identify the new and ongoing problems.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Modem keeps losing connection + Terrible speed

If that's your exchange then yes your on SKY connect which is severely throttled at peak times. You cannot expect to get a good connection with it, as we usually say on here if you cant get on SKY's LLU services then dont bother.
      By the looks of it from your exchange AOL, TalkTalk and Tiscali are your only LLU options.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I guess its time to leave them then.
      The main thing holding me back is how long i will be without any internet connection.
      has anyone had much experience with switching ISP's before. If i ring up now and ask for my MAC code will i lose the internet connection immediatly and then have to wait 5 days for it to come in the post then another week or 2 for a new isp to set me up? 3 weeks without internet i dont think i could survive ^

sbarkeri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSHI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisazgo View Post
      I guess its time to leave them then.
      The main thing holding me back is how long i will be without any internet connection.
      has anyone had much experience with switching ISP's before. If i ring up now and ask for my MAC code will i lose the internet connection immediatly and then have to wait 5 days for it to come in the post then another week or 2 for a new isp to set me up? 3 weeks without internet i dont think i could survive ^
      I've never switched from Sky, however when I switched from AOL to BT back in the "old days", I got my MAC code from them and they switch off your old connection at the same time your new one becomes active. I think that is one of the ideas of the MAC code system, to minimize the downtime of the connection. If this is still the case I would expect you to be without a connection for a matter of minutes rather than days.

Please someone do correct me if I'm wrong as this was a long time ago.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Albeit connect is pretty terrible, you should at least have a stable service. If you're dropping sync, something is not right and no matter the throttling, your ping should not be 20k+. Sounds like errors on the line to me.

Post up your stats to have a look at - How to get your router statistics

P.S. Sky are currently buying more capacity for connect, which should help with the traffic management issues - a difference should be noted by those on connect by the end of Summer, or Autumn for a few areas in Scotland.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just tried to play an online game, world of warcraft. Got 5 disconnects(from wow server not my modem this time) in a row about 5 seconds after entering and tried another character 3k ping when i was standing completely alone away from any activity.
      Ive just tried to go through skys webpages and stuff looking for trouble shooting and experienced alot of page not found / meaningless errors due to the load speed aswell. Im going to ring them up and demand my MAC code. Im used to this service at primetime but not at lunchtime on a weekday(and a dayoff work ruined ><)

I have attached a screenshot on my router statistics. The numbers are meaningless to me. I dont know if they will help explain my problem.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modem keeps losing connection + Terrible speed-router.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, well the line has stayed in sync for the last 16 hours or so (i.e. the internet light @ symbol on the router has stayed green), but if you're usually seeing the internet light drop and flash amber occasionally, then something isn't right.

Confirm the following as detailed as possible:

- (Regarding gaming) I assume from the stats you're connecting/gaming via ethernet cable?
      - How many telephone sockets do you use in the house?
      - Does each telephone socket in use have a microfilter (two-way white box with 'phone' and 'modem' printed on it) connected DIRECTLY into each telephone socket, ensuring nothing is before the filter?
      - Do you have sky tv plugged into any telephone socket? Is there a sky tv splitter (two-way blank white box that may say 'sky tv - do not unplug') connected?
      - Is there router connected to the master socket?
      - Are you running any extension cables to the router, or are you using the short grey dsl cable sky supplied? If so, the router will be pretty much beside where the telephone socket is located, is this correct?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I fear the only reason it stayed connected that long was because is was asleep and then not using it til after lunch today. The last time it disconnected was last night around 11pm when i was trying to use it
      Im using an ethernet cable and dont use any extensions. With microfilters on the sockets that need them.
      I got through to sky support and will give them a chance. They told me to connect via the test socket and call back if i get any disconnects. While i havnet got any disconnects yet the speed is still very poor for this time of day with webpages taking awhile to load.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I assume you were previously running the router off an extension socket? If so, then there's your likely issue. Post up your new stats whilst connected to the test socket - it may take a bit for your profile to improve.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Theres no improvement with the test socket. The tech support guy on the phone seemed to think my speed is fine as the router statistics match what they think my line is cabale of (2.5mb) So basically they wont do anyhting.

However im sitting here right now downloading at 11kbs waiting awhile just for a small 1.5 mb file to download. Gaming immpossible, i drop connection to the server almost immediatly. Streaming videos immpossible, unless i leave it on pause for about 15min to get a head start. Even webpages take a long time i open several tabs and have to wait forever for it just to load the text and by the time the adverts and pictures have laoded im done with that page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast