Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Results 1 to 5 of 5

    "Went live" last week ... but no connection...

    This is a discussion on "Went live" last week ... but no connection... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My migration to Sky was meant to happen last monday (14th). I'm away on a business trip and had to ...

    1. #1
      BrixtonBiker's Avatar
      BrixtonBiker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brixton
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      10
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      "Went live" last week ... but no connection...

      My migration to Sky was meant to happen last monday (14th).
      I'm away on a business trip and had to leave my lodger in charge while I'm away. The new modem/router was plugged into the mains, and he knew that all he had to do was wait for the old DSL to go offline on the monday, and then plug the new one into the master socket.
      He then went away for the weekend and wasn't back until wednesday.
      When he plugged the Sky router in, there was no DSL signal. The phone line is working fine, though - dialtone all present and correct (and I migrated line rental to Sky Talk at the same time).
      Now, a week later, they still haven't gotten to the bottom of the problem.
      They've done some tests from their end, and apparently the signal "reaches within 50ft of the master socket". I have no idea how they can tell that.
      I also have no idea why the DSL worked perfectly with the last vendor (TalkTalk / AOL) ("perfectly" ha ha but that's another story)
      Is it possible that because the old router was left plugged in for a few days after they migrated, and/or the new router wasn't plugged in, that the dynamic line testing didn't work, and it's reduced everything down to such a minimal level that nothing is working at all?
      I have never heard an excuse of the signal only getting to within 50ft of the house before.
      I've tried calling Sky from here, but obviously with me in Sri Lanka, there is nothing much they can do with me on the phone.
      They told my lodger - and I'm paraphrasing him here - that "it seemed like the signal was only getting as far as the exchange"... well I know I'm more than 50ft from the exchange... so I have no idea what so ever what is going on.
      I thought you lot might have some tips or insight!


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: "Went live" last week ... but no connection...

      Quote Originally Posted by BrixtonBiker View Post
      Is it possible that because the old router was left plugged in for a few days after they migrated, and/or the new router wasn't plugged in, that the dynamic line testing didn't work, and it's reduced everything down to such a minimal level that nothing is working at all?
      That won't be an issue.

      Sky will need to go through a series of checks - the issue is that unless you give your lodger permission to call on your behalf (i.e. the password to your account) then there's only limited things that can be done. If you're happy enough giving him/her the password, then they can call on your behalf. Before they do, tell them to plug into the test socket with a swapped filter and no extension cables. First off, Sky specifically need to run a 'tone test' to check whether the line's been jumpered and then take it from there.

    4. #3
      BrixtonBiker's Avatar
      BrixtonBiker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brixton
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      10
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: "Went live" last week ... but no connection...

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      That won't be an issue.

      Sky will need to go through a series of checks - the issue is that unless you give your lodger permission to call on your behalf (i.e. the password to your account) then there's only limited things that can be done. If you're happy enough giving him/her the password, then they can call on your behalf. Before they do, tell them to plug into the test socket with a swapped filter and no extension cables. First off, Sky specifically need to run a 'tone test' to check whether the line's been jumpered and then take it from there.
      I gave him the password for the account and so he's been on the phone to them a few times already. I presume he's been through the test procedure with them, as they're sending an engineer out to inspect the line on friday.
      It just seems very odd that it's not working, as surely they should be able to unplug my line from one dslam in the exchange and plug it into another? It did work just fine before...

    5. #4
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: "Went live" last week ... but no connection...

      Quote Originally Posted by BrixtonBiker View Post
      surely they should be able to unplug my line from one dslam in the exchange and plug it into another? It did work just fine before...
      Should be able to; whether they have is another question!

      If openreach have been booked, then hopefully it should be sorted on Friday.

    6. #5
      BrixtonBiker's Avatar
      BrixtonBiker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brixton
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      10
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: "Went live" last week ... but no connection...

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Should be able to; whether they have is another question!

      If openreach have been booked, then hopefully it should be sorted on Friday.
      Well I get back from business on saturday, and I'm craving a decent internet connection at the moment - it had better bloody be working!

     

     

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION