Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Surely this is throttling?

This is a discussion on Surely this is throttling? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; All day until around 5:30pm, I get a solid 6mbps, give or take a megabit. However, as soon as 5:30pm ...

Cosmo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect :(
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Surely this is throttling?

All day until around 5:30pm, I get a solid 6mbps, give or take a megabit.

However, as soon as 5:30pm comes, I instantly get dropped to 0.3 to 0.4 mbps. Most of the time its so slow that I cannot even load a speed tester. If I try to use YouTube in this time, I can eventually load the page and the media player, but its not that it buffers slowly, it makes no effort to buffer at all and my network metre reports that nothing has been transferred to even attempt to begin buffering.

If I try to load say 5 pages at once, they won't connect for a while.. they will be on "Resolving host..." (chrome).. for about 20seconds, then my network metre reports a burst of about 20kB going through once every 10seconds or so, and each page loads at the same time all together, eventually.

Its as if they aren't slowing me down, but instead limiting how many times I can try to connect.The most worrying thing is where I try to ping in CMD, I generally receive 25% loss in this time period and if I try pingtest.net, it won't even do the test, I just get an error saying "Packet Lost Test Failed".

After a long load I did a speed test on speedtest.net at 11:24pm to get 0.4mbps downstream, and 0.4mbps upstream (the upload speed is always about that). Then, a minute later, after pressing Try Again, I get 6.20mbps. These times (ie. 11:25 onwards) has been constant for the last 3 nights where as soon as its 11:25, my internet unlocks itself I get fast downloads, rapid page loading and no packet loss or any other hassle.

I've been lucky that it didn't happen today too but on Thursday I had no internet for almost 12 hours (from 11:30pm to 11:00 am - figures, the internet breaks as soon as I get good speeds). And also yesterday it broke for 10minutes at a random time. The problem was, according to the solid amber "@" light, that there was some problem with my sky not being "activated" or so the Sky online help thing thought anyway.

I've asked 2 people in my area, both on different ISPs if they had been having problems, and no, they were doing better than ever.

I will add that I don't usually get 6mbps at peak time, but a lot more than not even half a megabit, generally around 1.5 to 2, which is a fair enough speed for browsing, at least I can load a forum - had to wait till now to make this post because of it.

Sorry for the realllllly long post but I wanted to be descriptive in case it helps me resolve this.

Also I have tested this on both of my sky routers and I don't have a test socket.

Thanks for reading and hopefully contributing to help,
      Cosmo

2. Advertisement
      dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Surely this is throttling?

The only way to resovle this is to leave Sky as your on Connect

Exchange:
      Thanks

But what is better? My exchange has no LLU services.. just rebadged BT. The only reason I stay with Sky is because they are the only ones in my area that allow as much as 40GB downloading per month as no-one offers unlimited anymore (at least not for a decent price) ... I've phoned sky before over this and they sent me a new router - I'm not too sure why... Besides just leaving.. is there nothing I can do to resolve this?

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Plusnet are one of the best non-LLU ISP's you can opt for.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you take the time to look around the forum, this thread in particular - (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users you will see you are not alone with this problem. There is advice on the forum that Sky intend purchasing more bandwidth for Connect, but whether this will make much difference is anyone's guess.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I called sky today and they said they'd call back after 48hours once they have checked my line.

Can I expect anything to come out of this? It's clearly them throttling me, and not a line fault (see attachment - obvious proof - look at times of tests). Would they unthrottle me or is that totally out of the question?

Thanks,
      Cosmo

Edit: The times in the attachments are one hour behind - I guess speedtest.net doesn't understand British Summer Time
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surely this is throttling?-11.25-unthrottle.jpg  

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It's not clear from the times you ran it whether it's definitely down to throttling - I know you say they were an hour between, but run the following link; one at peak time (5pm-12am) and one at non-peak time -

Test Result

Username it asks for is your router's mac address with @skydsl on the end e.g. 004FB934G@skydsl

The results via that url are the only data sky will take notice of. If it is throttling, then there's really not much that can be done at all. Connect is over-capacity and has been for quite a while now - however, sky are currently investing in 40% more capacity which connect customers should notice sometime before the end of Summer or so. In all honesty, whether that will help a great deal is anyones' guess, though.