Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

DLM finished? any good ?

This is a discussion on DLM finished? any good ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone ;-) this is my first post and on this excellent site having read the various post over the ...

Funky007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Question DLM finished? any good ?

Hi everyone ;-) this is my first post and on this excellent site having read the various post over the past weeks i have learnt a lot but I would still like someone more knowledgeable then me to see if the following seems ok?

According to skymy line testing started on the 12th June

loged in to mysky and read: Line connection testing completed on 16/06/2010
      download speed 4.9mb upload 0.8mb ( 800kb)

When I ordered sky is said maximum download speed your line can support was 6.0Mb.

I had a noise margin of 18db from the test socket for a couple of days from the onset but doped to 9db or so when the speed increased to 5016kbps and then never changed.

I done the speed tests / router stats and the results are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5016 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.5 db 21.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 12.5 db

Sky user speed test on this site was 4280kps and upload was 660kps

Speedtest site was

Could someone kindly please tell me if all is OK ? am I getting the best speed I could? could I get more out of it? ....any help or advice will be much appreciated.

is it now safe to switch the router off and on again a few times? will it start the whole process again?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router

Re: DLM finished? any good ?

You could get maybe 0.5 meg extra but your pretty much at the max at present. You may also get a little more out of your upload. If you switch it on and off many times there automated system has an irritating habit of reducing your speed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: DLM finished? any good ?

When you remove the faceplate from the Master socket are your other extensions dead? I ask as your speed is a bit low for your attenuation, 7-8Mb would be more like it. If you are getting a clean connection at the Test socket, then it is down to a poor external line, which you can do little about, unless it is really bad.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.