Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Own router on Sky BB?

This is a discussion on Own router on Sky BB? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can you use your own router on sky broadband or must you use the one provided by them? I have ...

centenary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Own router on Sky BB?

Can you use your own router on sky broadband or must you use the one provided by them?

I have a NetGear DG834N.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Own router on Sky BB?

Sky won't support you with it and you will need to get your adsl details out of the Sky router to put into your own router.

centenary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Sky won't support you with it and you will need to get your adsl details out of the Sky router to put into your own router.
      Im familiar with router workings so set up isnt an issue or getting details from the sky router.

I noticed sky seem to use netgear routers clones, mine is a netgear DG834N. But they also seem to supply crap sagem routers. Wouldnt want one of them for all the tea in china.

When you say sky wont support you, do you mean with router settings or any BB issue if you are not using their router?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Any issue. In fact, if you complain about it and insist on using your own router, they will be within their rights to cut you off.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

The DG834N happens to be one of the worst routers i've ever had the misfortune to use. Every single one of them i've ever used gets too hot, drops the connection and then wont come back on until I cool it off.
      Aside from that though...
      Basically in terms of support if you use your own and have issues you have to plug the original one back in before phoning or they wont help you at all. See the extracting sky router passwords section of the forum for info on how to get the details you need to login with your own.

blade1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I have just joined sky and was wanting to use my own router, but so far im very pleased with the sky one.

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by centenary View Post
      mine is a netgear DG834N. But they also seem to supply crap sagem routers. Wouldnt want one of them for all the tea in china.
      Odd that cos i am using my Sagem router over my DG834n, the Sagem is much more stable then the DG834n and the wireless appears to be more robust on the Sagem. The Sagem also seems to have more control over the noise margin and it displays a lower line attenuation.

I have had the DG834n for over 2 years and tried every firmware for it but unfortunately only the latest official one makes the UPnP work correctly on it for my PS3s, one is in a DMZ but the other has a moderate or strict NAT using UPnP on anything other than the latest Netgear firmware which unfortunately could not hold a connection over night for toffee.

I too was dreading getting the Sagem but i have to say i am delighted with it.