Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sky and BT HELL!

This is a discussion on Sky and BT HELL! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm tired of getting the runaround by Sky and BT with regards my terrible connection speeds. I've had the main ...

angelboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01427
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky and BT HELL!

I'm tired of getting the runaround by Sky and BT with regards my terrible connection speeds.

I've had the main line replaced from my house to the pole, from the pole to the box in the village, from the box in the village to the exchange (2.2miles away), a new sagem router and filters/cables all round, 4 qualified openreach telephone engineers and 1 broadband engineer, 250 in call out charges which took 4 1/2 hours of arguing to get credited back and yet all I seem to get is the runaround.

My line originally gave me a stable 4.5mb, not great but in my rural location and Sky connect (17 or so) was great. Then after all the cables were replaced I got 2mb and was told like it or lump it. I've now been given 512kb with a warning that my line may not be acceptable for ADSL.

Sky have told me that it's my Netstats because there is more than 10 (?!?!), no it's the faceplate but I can replace it myself (property of BT carrying prosecution if touched) then it must be my router as I'm using a Netgear one and the Sagems are better - router speed is half that of my old one!

I now have to wait a further 2 days for BT to raise my profile with the new (half speed) router plugged into an upstairs room at the other side of the house.

Every time I call Sky nobody seems to read my file and after asking the customer service rep to take 5 minutes to read my file and get up to speed with the problems I've had for the last six months I'm told for the ******ing 50th time that I have to plug my router in to the test socket (which cuts of my phone line) and unless I go through the list of potential 'common problems' first I can't be put through to English understanding customer service reps who then give me another 'calender call back' for yet another 2 days time to see if anything has changed in the mean time and the problem (which quite clearly must be me and me alone!) has amazingly fixed itself.

I just want to talk to someone who tells the truth and give me a solution.

I'd rather have someone say 'Yep, the lines we use are rubbish and need replacing but we'll still keep charging you for a service we damn well know we can't provide but y'know what, what are you gonna to do and where are you going to go because we're all robbing bast*rds who are just as bad as each other!'

The best I seem to be able to get when things are running with a tad more consistency is less than 2mb then I should downgrade my service from 8mb to 2mb. Of course, Sky tell me not to do this as then my 2mb line would be downgraded even further!. WTF!!!! Another BS con to try and keep me paying for more than what they can supply but not letting me pay for what I'm getting.

Does anyone have any help or advice as to what I can do or do I just dump Sky and go with another ISP - bearing in mind that there is no LLU (is that right?) in my exchange meaning that whoever I use (should it be BT?) would be using BT wholesale and therefore at the mercy of BT?

I'm going a bit mad, please help!

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky and BT HELL!

Can you post your stats from the test socket which is located behind the lower half of the master socket. Plug in just the router connected via a filter using the supplied grey adsl cable.
      You are on SKY connect which means sky have NO direct access to adjust settings on the line they have to ask BT to do it for them. If you post your stats though we'll be able to see whether the speed is capped or whether the line is causing it.

Thanks

The speed is capped at 135kbps which is confirmed by Sky as being the lowest that BT could cap it at. This, the reason being is that the line must be unstable so until it's stable then BT will keep on capping it at the lowest possible.

What info exactly do you need? Downstream and upstream or others as well?

Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1760 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 24.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.6 db 20.0 db

Thanks

The stats needed come from the "Show Statistics" link on netgear routers and include Downstream Speed, Upstream Speed, Attenuation and Noise Margin

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

angelboy
      Hi Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The Connect package is being Traffic Managed 5pm till Midnight, weekend and public holidays. The issue is to many connect Customers and not enough Bandwidth up to now Sky will not be purchasing any more bandwidth. This has been going on for some time now here`s a couple of links about the connect package. Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? and (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users The first thread was started on the 07-01-09. The lowest I have been and seen from other connect Customers is 1kbps

simonmpoulton
      angelboy is on the connect package the 448kbps upstream is the give away Bt re-badged product Sky have DLM Bt have RAMBo (Rate Adaptive Management Box)

Thanks

I work online and use the internet early morning, through the day, evenings, weekends basically all across the range of times on and off and it is ALWAYS slow.

So the suggestion is that Sky connect is overloaded and I should change ISPs?

Thanks

Steve I think his problem is more that they've reduced his sync speed rather than him being on connect.

OP - Your attenuation shows you should be capable of 3.5mb-4.5mb but your noise margin is too low to allow for it. SKY are correct in saying that you wont be able to get anymore speed at present and that will be the same with any ISP. Have you got a test socket you can try the router in? It's behind the lower half of your master socket usually. If you have got one try the router there and repost your stats it will help us rule out any internal wiring issues.
      Also note if you have the original netgear then SKY are talking crap saying the Sagem is better, they're both based around a broadcom chipset which from my experience doesnt sync as well as the newer Texus Instuments based netgear DG934G in a lot of cases.

Thanks

Test socket stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1984 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 24.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 20.0 db

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

angelboy
      Hi look at LLU at your exchange here`s a link SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Exchange Search

simonmpoulton
      Sky`s Default Noise Margin is 6.9 which everyone hopes to achieve this is a connect issue I have seen Hundred`s all had the same issues

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast