Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Net Cuts Out

This is a discussion on Net Cuts Out within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Greetings peeps. Got two quick questions for you. I had my BB switched on in my new flat about a ...

Los7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harlow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Net Cuts Out

Greetings peeps. Got two quick questions for you. I had my BB switched on in my new flat about a week ago. When it was first connected, i was connected at 4Mb with a line atten of 29 and a noise margain of 22. Then a few days later it reset itself and connected at 7Mb with a line atten of 31 and a noise margain of 9. Then yesterday it reset itself and connected at
      Connection Speed 9208 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.5 db 15.4 db
      Noise Margin 9.4 db 9.0 db
      i'm not sure why the Attenuation went up, but i wont complain.
      My first question is. Are these stats and speeds about right?
      My second question is...I never noticed/tried before, but now, when i pick the phone up to dial out (digital phone) when i press the button that gives me a dail tone, i hear static on the line and the router resets. Is this a wiring fault, or a filter fault, or something else maybe?
      I have the router plugged in to the first socket that comes into the flat(into a standard filter that comes with the router), and my phone is connected to an extension. I have 5 other filters to try, but as i've just had the BB connected, i didn't want reset the router anymore than i need to as i wasn't sure i had DLM running on my line. Any input would be splendid.
      Thanks in advance
      Steve

2. Advertisement
      telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Net Cuts Out

The noise on the line and the unsteady atn suggest a physical fault. You say your router is in the first socket (like;y master) via a standard filter and your phone plugs in elsewhere. Does the phone plug into that socket via another filter or just directly? All sockets that are in use HAVE to be filtered. Empty sockets are fine.

Your line should be capable of higher speeds but it first needs to be stable. So filter all sockets and replace those already in use and see how that goes.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Attenuation will have went up from the initial change from 4096/512 g.dmt to adsl2plus once DLM initiated.

Edit: Regarding the pstn noise; check the extension socket where the phone is plugged in has a filter connected as the previous dude suggested.

Los7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harlow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

I've been a PC tech for years and years, A+, MCP's...i forgot to put a filter on the phone line lol
      I was so excited about getting my broadband back after so long, i forgot to put it on. Such a sap. Thanks guys