Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The faster the line - the slower I go ???

This is a discussion on The faster the line - the slower I go ??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; No problem, results from Speed.io, run on Windows 7 using Chrome browser:...

...ish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: The faster the line - the slower I go ???

No problem, results from Speed.io, run on Windows 7 using Chrome browser:

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Only a couple things it could boil down to at this point if you're getting bad throughput from both OS's from wired speed tests. Possible errors being produced, in which sky may need to configure the line. However, the stats don't suggest that errors/crcs should be an issue. Other than that, possible router fault.

Exchange:
      Thanks

User05 - are there any diagnostics I can perform to determine if a router problem exists? I'm not keen on paying out to Sky for a replacement when I am still a bit suspect about the service they are providing to me.

Looks like I also need to give their tech support another try to check for line issues.

Andymo - theres always a big difference between upload and download, eg "Up to" 20Mb download speeds have only "Up to" 1.3Mb upload speeds.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ...ish View Post
      User05 - are there any diagnostics I can perform to determine if a router problem exists? I'm not keen on paying out to Sky for a replacement when I am still a bit suspect about the service they are providing to me.
      Apart from the obvious of extracting the username and password from the sky router and trying a router that you may have handy, there's not really. If I was being pedantic, you could check active connections on the win7 computer via cmd with the netstat command, but for the fact the linux (?) (excuse my ignorance/lack of experience past windows, I haven't a clue what ubuntu even is!) machine is the same, I highly doubt it's anything to do with bandwidth being 'eaten' by other programs.

Sky can make a few changes to the exchange equipment and if that fails, send a new router. If it's within warranty (12 months) then it's a free replacement. It's 28 otherwise, but I usually use discretion myself and will send the odd one free if enough fuss is kicked up or the customer has had a myriad of tech issues.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have a spare router, but wasn't aware I could use it - until a quick google lead me back to advice on this site !

Thanks for the help.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I cant remember if the SKY router has this, but if it has check to see if it is throwing up LOS errors/errors.
      Other than that try another router as suggested and if the fault persists then in all probability it is a line problem.

You do also have a problem with your internal wiring which will limit your speed when you get the line/router fixed and you should definitely look into fitting an XTE-2005 or similar to remove this issue. (Refer to the cabling/faceplate forum on here)

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK - I believe that I have now proven that the Router has a problem - see the stats below from my old Netgear modem.

So, how do I convince Sky of this when I can't confess that I broke their T&C's to find out?

Can I also ask at what point does it become obvious that there is a problem with internal wiring, what level of noise is acceptable? I'll be looking to replace the frontplate this weekend.

Many thanks for all the useful comments!!

Connection Speed 7548 kbps / 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38 db / 8 db
      Noise Margin 11 db / 16 db

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Well personally I would rather than trying to get them to send a new router out for your problem just say the wireless isnt working on it you've tried multiple computers and reset the router but just can't see the network

It becomes obvious you have a wiring problem when there is a significant jump in sync speed when connecting to the test socket or a significant increase in noise margin if the sync speed stays the same.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Good advice - thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

They may just send you the same make of router. It is not easy getting the type changed, the Support don't really have any control over what is sent out, they can make a request to the supplier but very often they take no notice and send out what comes to hand. There are a lot of posts on the forum where a user has been promised one type of router, only to receive the other one. Take a chance and tell them that you have tried a friends Sky Netgear router and it seems to perform better.

There is actually not a lot of difference in your figures for the 2 routers. You do have a higher noise margin, but a lower speed. From this it looks like your line is capped. Different routers read the attenuation slightly differently so I would not take too much notice of the change there.
      The difference is possibly down to the chipset in the routers. Depending what Network you are on, the Broadcom has a slight advantage over the TI and vice versa.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast