Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Internet is getting slower as the line gets old?

This is a discussion on My Internet is getting slower as the line gets old? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Last year we had our BT phone line renewed because of a recurring joint problem, when the new line ...

TTT
      TTT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

My Internet is getting slower as the line gets old?

Hi,

Last year we had our BT phone line renewed because of a recurring joint problem, when the new line went in I noticed that my Internet speed rose from 2.50Mb/s to around 4.00Mb/s (consistent) which was great.

The new phone line is now about 1 year old & my speed is now down to 2.65Mb/s (consistent)
      The phone lines around our area are underground & I'm guessing that maybe water ingress could be causing problems at joints etc?

I have connected my router to the master socket test point & the speed never changed.

I'm wondering if I should maybe contact BT to see if they can do anything about it, or should my first port of call be sky?

I'm on sky everyday.

My router stats:

ADSL Link.................Downstream............Upstream
      Connection Speed......3068 kbps................606 kbps
      Line Attenuation..........51.5 db....................32.2 db
      Noise Margin...............9.1 db......................9.0 db

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: My Internet is getting slower as the line gets old?

a change to gdmt from adsl2+ might help give you another half meg - meg at the most...other than that not a lot more to be had
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BT won't take on bb faults, only pstn faults - I take if you have no noise on the landline?

If those stats are from the test socket with a swapped filter and no extension cables, then there are a few possibilities as to what has happened. First off, which I think is the issue - the line is set to adsl2plus and capped at 3072/608. It needs set to g.dmt and uncapped. If that didn't sort it out, then it's either a line fault has occurred again, router fault or just degradation of the line itself.

Either way, call up sky whilst in the test socket with a swapped filter and no extensions running to the router and they'll sort it out.

TTT
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi & Thanks for the replies.

No, there is no noise on the line, its crystal clear, strangely enough cracking on the line was the original problem.
      This kept happening as water was getting into the joint under the pavement, BT had to keep digging up the path & remaking the joint as the junction boxes they were using only lasted a couple of months at best. Each time they had to repair it we had no phone / Internet for a week, After digging up the path 3 times in a year I complained & stamped my feet & they put in a pit so they can get to the connection easier & fix it the same day should it be a problem, since then we have had no problems with noise on the line.

Yeah, the stats are from the test socket with a swapped filter & no extension or anything else connected.

I also tried my own netgear router & got exactly the same results so its not a router problem either.

So if I ring sky what do I need to ask them to do?...I don't want to get fobbed off.

Thanks.

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Phone and say you want your speeds looked at as your noise margins suggest more can be squeezed out of it. Ask whoever you speak to to get an agent with LAMA to look at it or ask for a cst ticket to be created. Just stress to them that you are in the test socket via a new filter with no other devices connected.

TTT
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that.

I'll try my best to ring them tomorrow & see if I get anywhere.

I have been reading on other forums of people ringing them but not getting anywhere as they can see no fault with the connection from their end.

Hope I get a result by mentioning some of the terms you have used.

Thanks.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
      Thanks for that.

I'll try my best to ring them tomorrow & see if I get anywhere.

I have been reading on other forums of people ringing them but not getting anywhere as they can see no fault with the connection from their end.

Hope I get a result by mentioning some of the terms you have used.

Thanks.
      very few tier one agents know what SNR is and some dont understand that the line is capped. luck of the draw who you get through to, as telephone suggested if you specifically say "my line is capped and needs to be reconfigured in LAMA" you shouldnt have a problem.

TTT
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,
      We had a look at our sky account on line, in the broadband details it states:

Line connection testing completed on 03/04/2010

Download Speed
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to
      3.0Mb (3072Kb)

Upload Speed
      Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to
      0.6Mb (608Kb)

So I take it from this that my line is capped.

I connected the computer to the router with the LAN cable just to make sure it wasn't a wireless issue & the speeds are exactly the same.

We switch the router off every night, should it be left on at certain periods so it can establish a better connection or does than not make a difference?

Thanks.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

you mentioned in your first post that you tried the test socket and the speed didnt change. the speed wouldnt change as you are capped but there may be a difference in your SNR levels, the stats in your first post.. were they taken from the master socket or the test socket? if they weren't taken from the test socket you should try and repost stats from there.

you line is capped and DLM has obviously finished so you can call and get the line reconfigured by sky, this is likely to be alot quicker if you call in the test socket also

its not the wireless connection thats the problem(although this doesnt help). once again i would suggest you retake your stats from the test socket with a new adsl filter and sky's short grey adsl cable

TTT
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,
      I'm pretty sure that the stats in my first post were taken from the master socket test point (behind the front cover) but as I have been doing a lot of testing I may be mistaken.

I have just taken the below stats now from the master socket test point with the short grey lead with a brand new out of the bag filter.

ADSL Link...................Downstream.......... Upstream
      Connection Speed .......3068 kbps..............606 kbps
      Line Attenuation............51.5 db..................32.2 db
      Noise Margin................ 8.7 db...................10.5 db

I rang sky about 1 hour ago, the girl tested the line & said that she was getting 3.5Mb/s, I told her that I was only getting approx 2.5Mb/s & that I had been told that "my line is capped and needs to be reconfigured in LAMA"
      She said that they would reconfigure the line & that I should see a difference withing the next 24 hrs, So I'll leave the router on & see what happens.

Should I leave it plugged into the test point ?
      (this means my new 2 day old sky box isn't connected to the phone line)

Info:
      My Master socket is a new Open Reach version, this is where the router & DECT cordless phone plug in. I have tried disconnecting the phone from the filter & moving it & the base away but this seemed to make no difference to the router stats (noise) at all. The phone was in the same place when my connection was faster (4.0Mb/s)

I have 4 extension sockets around the house all installed by me, 3 have nothing plugged in & the other has the sky box plugged in via a filter.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast