Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky say checker is 'broken'

This is a discussion on Sky say checker is 'broken' within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I ordered Sky (TV and phone) for my new home. TV was installed mid-May, and I was told ...

checkermoo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky say checker is 'broken'

Hi all,

I ordered Sky (TV and phone) for my new home. TV was installed mid-May, and I was told to wait until line was active before ordering broadband.

The landline was recently made active (well, my new number was sent via SMS a few days ago and I can make and receive calls), so I phoned to order broadband today.

The first person I spoke to said I could only get 4mbps.

I though this was odd, as my previous property was in the same street, the with same postcode and on the same exchange (the exchange is a few hundred metres away). Sky’s speed estimates for my previous property suggested 13mbps would be achievable, but I was told there was nothing they could do.
      I phoned back again to query this.

The tech people said their "speed checker is broken", so some customers were being told (in error) that only 4mbps would be available.

I was advised to phone back on 1st June when the checker would be fixed.
      I’d be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this, as I’m keen to get the current deal which ends soon, and I’m not entirely certain that Sky know what’s going on.

When I do a line check on Sky’s own site using my new number, it says “appears your number is not compatible with Sky’s services”.

Sorry for lack of tech-savvy here…

Thanks !

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky say checker is 'broken'

Who's your phone line with at present? The line checker is available for BT lines so if yours isn't one it won't work...

If you have BB at present post your router stats and we can give an estimate to speeds
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is a bit of an anomaly that the Sky broadband system does not recognise new Sky phone lines as being compatible. It can take up to 10 days for the line to be entered in the database, after that it will be recognised. Just keep trying the online checker and it will eventually give you a result. Provided the street you live in is not over-long, there will not be much difference between where you live now and where you lived before.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

At our previous property, I had BT for phone and AOL for BB (their up to 8mbps product with about 6.5 average). We moved house a few weeks ago to the house in question (we only moved a few doors down).

Before we moved house, I simply cancelled BT & AOL and decided to start from scratch with Sky at our new property (for landline, calls, TV & BB) I did not request a transfer of number.

So to answer your quesions, my new Sky phone line was activated a few days ago and I don't have broadband yet - I had to wait until the new Sky line was active before ordering. When it became active, I phoned up to order broadband and Sky outlined the issue I mentioned in my original post.

When I spoke to Sky origianally, they estimated 13mbps would be possible with their 20mbps product.

Maybe their speed checker really is broken and I'll just have to wait until June to see what happens... Just seems a little odd to me

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm not sure what speed checker the sales team use. If it is a system called 'pacman', then if they enter a SVBN (sky talk) number into the checker, it'll return 4096kbps every time I believe. If they enter the post code instead, it shows a proper estimate.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is a bit of an anomaly that the Sky broadband system does not recognise new Sky phone lines as being compatible. It can take up to 10 days for the line to be entered in the database, after that it will be recognised. Just keep trying the online checker and it will eventually give you a result. Provided the street you live in is not over-long, there will not be much difference between where you live now and where you lived before.
      Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying.

It does seem odd that Sky themselves told me they "can't sell anymore broadband packages until 1st June because their own line checking system is failing". I wanted to order before June so I could get the current deal.

Oh well... Thanks again for the advice.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Oh, wait, I think I misunderstood. If it's stopping them from ordering the bb, I'd personally call back up and confirm that a second agent still can't put the order on. Seems a bit strange to me.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I'm not sure what speed checker the sales team use. If it is a system called 'pacman', then if they enter a SVBN (sky talk) number into the checker, it'll return 4096kbps every time I believe. If they enter the post code instead, it shows a proper estimate.
      Thanks. I'm not sure what they are using either, but it's certainly confusing me. Perhaps I should phone again and see if I get a different answer.....

Today, two seperate advisors said I'd get 4mbps, so I guess it's fairly unlikely that both of them are doing something wrong in terms of using their link checking system. It was only when I queried this that I was passed to the tech team who said they're having trouble with their line checker system..

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      sales just use a product availability check, i have seen people estimated 4mb and getting 20mb. you could call tech support and ask them to check your line in pacman(make sure you tell them to use your post code if your svbn because chances are they wont). the estimates are always quite conservative, i would also ask them to check your old address and see what the estimated speed is, it may well be 4mb as well. the estimates can be quite inaccurate.

edit - @OP. there are no problems with the line checker at all by the way, pacman..lama..etc are working fine if a little slow. thats somebody fobbing you off because they arent sure what to do.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      sales just use a product availability check, i have seen people estimated 4mb and getting 20mb. you could call tech support and ask them to check your line in pacman(make sure you tell them to use your post code if your svbn because chances are they wont). the estimates are always quite conservative, i would also ask them to check your old address and see what the estimated speed is, it may well be 4mb as well. the estimates can be quite inaccurate.

edit - @OP. there are no problems with the line checker at all by the way, pacman..lama..etc are working fine if a little slow. thats somebody fobbing you off because they arent sure what to do.
      Cheers for the info.

Well, latest update:

Just logged onto my Sky account to see what happens when I try to buy broadband. It now says line can support 'up to 8mbps' and suggests I buy the 10mbps package.

I don't see how this can be accurate, as it's an LLU exchange which is 0.17 miles away and a postcode check via BT says "Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 13Mbps"

Also, I got Sky to do a check on my old property just before I moved (to get an idea of what to expect), and they quoted 13mbps. I've only moved about 30 yards down the road..

Why would same system come back with two such different figures for each property?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast