Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 21 to 30 of 33

    do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

    This is a discussion on do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Oh and the reason I say it wouldn't be illegal is because they always say " up to " 20 ...

    1. #21
      poorbroadband's Avatar
      poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      116
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Oh and the reason I say it wouldn't be illegal is because they always say "up to" 20 meg. They never fail not to mention the "up to"

      Wanna know what that means? They don't have to give you those speeds of they don't want to. Put it this way, they could give you 0.1 kbs all the time and there would be nothing you could do about it.

      Edit: Even if you could prove it


    2. Advertisement
    3. #22
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Quote Originally Posted by poorbroadband View Post
      "somehow i dont think OP understands, his idea of how ADSL broadband works is astonishing and my faith in humanity is disintergrating with every new post he"

      I know how it works.
      No. You evidently don't. You also don't seem to grasp any knowledge of contract law, which is why I can't be bothered furthering this 'debate'. I believe last time I was straight to the point with you, or perhaps abrupt, I was given an infraction of which I don't fancy getting another one. So, we'll leave it at that you're a little naive and/or uneducated as to how adsl functions.

    4. #23
      poorbroadband's Avatar
      poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      116
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      No. You evidently don't. You also don't seem to grasp any knowledge of contract law, which is why I can't be bothered furthering this 'debate'. I believe last time I was straight to the point with you, or perhaps abrupt, I was given an infraction of which I don't fancy getting another one. So, we'll leave it at that you're a little naive and/or uneducated as to how adsl functions.
      Al I know know is that the Internet has changed over the years (for me anyway). I remember when I first got broadband in 2002 and it use to be fast (like, I felt unrestricted, no iron fist) right up until just a couple of years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they ever state "up to" back then when advertising a package? I don't think they did. It was as if by not stating that they had (or could) to give you the best speeds possible.

      I'm not saying broadband isn't fast, I'm just saying "broadband" (the thing as a whole) just isn't as fast as what it use to be. Nevermind talking about individual companies or packages, it just isn't as fast as what it use to be. Like, a 20 meg say 4 years back would have been better than a todays 20 meg.

      EDIT
      Last edited by poorbroadband; 26-05-10 at 03:07 AM.

    5. #24
      misfit96's Avatar
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Belfast, NI
      Posts
      415
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      under ofcoms rules and regulations ISPs must use HEADLINE speed, ACCESS speed and ACTUAL SPEED

      the headline speed is the max you can get out of your package(say 20mb)

      the access speed is the estimated speed for your line(due to line length and quality)

      the actual speed is the speed you are actually receiving(may be lower than access speed due to internal wiring problems etc)

      AS POINTED OUT, YOU ARE ON SKY BRAODBAND CONNECT AND YOUR HEADLINE AND ACCESS SPEED ARE MEANINGLESS AND YES OF COURSE YOUR BROADBAND IS SLOW = ITS CALLED SKY CONNECT!

    6. #25
      Mr Spouse's Avatar
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Posts
      314
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Quote Originally Posted by poorbroadband View Post
      Al I know know is that the Internet has changed over the years (for me anyway). I remember when I first got broadband in 2002 and it use to be fast (like, I felt unrestricted, no iron fist) right up until just a couple of years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they ever state "up to" back then when advertising a package? I don't think they did.
      No, ISPs didn't quote 'up to' speeds, until OFCOM forced them to because the truth is that very few users connect at the headline rate[1]. What rate were you connecting at in 2002? ADSL was in its infancy, that was around the time I got BT Home Highway and thought a solid 64Kbps with 'instant' connection was wonderful compared to 8K dialup!

      You say you understand broadband but have posted nothing to confirm that, just your own rantings on how ISPs fix things. Allegedly. If you are not connected to an LLU exchange then your only available broadband provider is BT. No ISP using BT wholesale is going to be able to tweak things to any great extent.

      [1] Some do. My current downstream sync is 19999Kbps.

    7. #26
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,131
      Thanks
      64
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      I think there is also a memory defect somewhere. In 2002 the fastest broadband available was 512kbps and few actually reach that exalted speed, most were around 400kbps. It did seem very fast, but that was only because we had moved from dial up speeds of up to 56kbps. Very few got over 50kbps. At the time the speed difference was phenomenal, now that would be considered a very slow connection. A page from the TB archives from 9/2002,
      thinkbroadband :: Top 10 Fastest Broadband ISPs for September 2002

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.





    8. #27
      misfit96's Avatar
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Belfast, NI
      Posts
      415
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think there is also a memory defect somewhere. In 2002 the fastest broadband available was 512kbps and few actually reach that exalted speed, most were around 400kbps. It did seem very fast, but that was only because we had moved from dial up speeds of up to 56kbps. Very few got over 50kbps. At the time the speed difference was phenomenal, now that would be considered a very slow connection. A page from the TB archives from 9/2002,
      thinkbroadband :: Top 10 Fastest Broadband ISPs for September 2002
      i remember 512kbps broadband coming out, hard to believe i have 100x the speed less than a decade later

    9. #28
      poorbroadband's Avatar
      poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      116
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think there is also a memory defect somewhere. In 2002 the fastest broadband available was 512kbps and few actually reach that exalted speed, most were around 400kbps. It did seem very fast, but that was only because we had moved from dial up speeds of up to 56kbps. Very few got over 50kbps. At the time the speed difference was phenomenal, now that would be considered a very slow connection. A page from the TB archives from 9/2002,
      thinkbroadband :: Top 10 Fastest Broadband ISPs for September 2002

      There is deff no memory defect because I remember starting off with BT's 1 meg package and then they upgraded us to their 2 meg package about a year (Ok maybe 2) after this. All I know is that BT had a 1 and 2 meg package round about that time. Ok I'll say it: "round about that time"

      My point is: Broadband was much faster back then because less people had computers.

    10. #29
      poorbroadband's Avatar
      poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      116
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      i remember 512kbps broadband coming out, hard to believe i have 100x the speed less than a decade later
      Yeah they didn't have 20 meg back then but if they had it would have been a lot faster back then (ie faster and more stable than todays 20 meg).

    11. #30
      misfit96's Avatar
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Belfast, NI
      Posts
      415
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: do sky do a rapidshare on us connect users?

      Quote Originally Posted by poorbroadband View Post
      Yeah they didn't have 20 meg back then but if they had it would have been a lot faster back then (ie faster and more stable than todays 20 meg).
      no it wouldnt. 20mb is 20mb. its like saying cars back then would do 20mph faster than cars nowadays because there were less cars on the road. 20mph is a measurement of speed just like 20mbps, if thats the speed your driving at or the speed your broadband is running at then it IS 20mb NOT MORE, NOT LESS. i get 50mbps exactly so it would have been no different 10 years ago if they released 50mb(im paying for 50mb, im getting 50mb, they arent going to give me more than i pay for and they wouldnt 10 years ago either).

     

     
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION