Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hope it gets better!!

This is a discussion on Hope it gets better!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Signed up for Sky Unlimited as it advertised i would receive between 5 and 5 1/2 mb speed. Old supplier ...

gary.edge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDLNCNG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear Nighthawk D7000
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hope it gets better!!

Signed up for Sky Unlimited as it advertised i would receive between 5 and 5 1/2 mb speed. Old supplier was only giving 1.8mb.

Had the service 24hrs and i'm only getting 1.7mb max! I understand i'm supposed to leave my router connected for up to 10 days whilst it adjusts itself but tbh i cannot see it jumping that much. Plus just checked sky help and it says there's no line testing currently in progress. Any thoughts?

DownStream Connection Speed 1760
      UpStream Connection Speed 512

Also, i switched my original BT socket for a fancy brushed metal one (fits the decor) but i read now that i should really have a dedicated ADSL socket to improve performance. Can i just buy one and fit it to the line where my router is connected. There is a junction box in the hall and the adsl line spurs off of this so you could say it is dedicated.

sorry to be a bit vague, hope someone can help.

Gary

2. Advertisement
      emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Hope it gets better!!

You need to make sure your router is connected to the BT Master Socket. Details can be found at this link:

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket
      Peak usage speed test

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It can take up to three days for DLM to get going so dont worry yet. If you would like some help with your wiring, then you need to provide some more details (the number of extensions sockets, if any, that you have, where your line enters your home)

Thanks

Ok, i havent got the original master socket, i removed it and replaced it with a brushed metal one as it was in my living room which we had decorated and white didnt match the wall paper However, i do remember now asking for a Master socket in the brushed type so apart from th test socket it should be the same. I really dont want to switch this back to a white box as it will look really out of place.

So, the BT wire comes into the house and into a junction box. One connection then runs into the living room where the old BT master was situated. This was switched out for the new socket as above. From this socket there is another wire which runs to a 2nd socket on the otherside of the room which connects to my sky HD box.

The other connection from the junction box goes upstairs to where the ADSL router is sited. There is nothing else on the line.
      All the terminations have a filter attached.

So the question is, can i just buy a dedicated ADSL outlet and put it on the end of connection 2?

Thanks

Gary

Thanks

It depends on how you feel about a bit of DIY, and as you have already replaced the master I guess you are not too bothered how BT may feel about this? (you are not supposed to touch the master)

(1) You will need to buy a NTE-5 master socket, a filter faceplate, and IDC insetion tool, and enough 3 pair telephone cable to reach from the junction in the hall to the upstairs where the router is situated.

(2) Please read what follows and make sure you understand it before you start.

(3) Run the 3-pair telephone cable from the juction box to where the router is. Fit the NTE-5 master and connect as follows

Green/white wire to terminal B White/green wire to ternimal A

On the filter faceplate connect Blue/white to terminal 2
      White/blue to terminal 5
      Orange/white to terminal 3

(4) Downstairs at the junction box Disconnect the exsisting wires to the incoming pair and connect the green pair of the new cable to the incomming pair. You should now have a dial tone at the new NTE-5 master but all other sockets should be dead (no dial tone)

(5) Connect the Blue/white White/blue and Orange/white to the same colours in the exsisting wiring.

You should now have a dial tone at all sockets, but the one upstairs will have ADSL.

Thanks

Seems straightforward enough. One question, will the other sockets still require filters on them?

Thanks for the advice.

Gary

Thanks

No, The idea is to feed all other extensions from the filter faceplate so they will not rquire additional filters.

Ive just throught, you may need some crimps to join the new and exsisting cable if there are no spair ways in the juction box.
      When you have finnished, its a good idea to remove the components from the original master (just clip them out) and make sure the ring line is connected at all sockets (the one to 3) its filterd at the filter faceplate so will have no effect on your BB

Thanks

ok, now i need to think as i got a bit lost at the end
      Just whipped the cover off the junction box and its got orange, green, blue and brown cables, with the blue one hanging loose. Went to put the cover back on and the house phone started ringing!!!
      Checked the line and got a dial tone and phoned in to test and its all ok so no harm done. BB still works as well. Looks like its over due to be looked at.

Gary

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Brian i'm doing ten things at once as usual so have only skeeted over the post but sounds like the OP may be better changing the junction box for an NTE5(& NTE2005) rather than fit a new NTE5 where the router is? That way he can use existing wiring and filter the extensions that do not need ADSL, the cable that goes to the router can stay as is & use a filter or this socket :-

BT Socket, Master, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11

??
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gary.edge View Post
      ok, now i need to think as i got a bit lost at the end
      Just whipped the cover off the junction box and its got orange, green, blue and brown cables, with the blue one hanging loose. Went to put the cover back on and the house phone started ringing!!!
      Checked the line and got a dial tone and phoned in to test and its all ok so no harm done. BB still works as well. Looks like its over due to be looked at.

Gary
      O.k no problem. The orange blue geeen and brown are old colours. They should be connected so that orange and blue connect to the incoming pair. If in doubt, check on the master you replaced and check the colours to 2, 5, and 3,

So, if you are unsure about wire colours, then check your exsisting sockets and make a note of which colours connect to 2,3 and 5

After you have fitted the new NTE-5 master and faceplate, and connected the green pair to the incomming line, join the new cable to the exsisting one so that the blue/white wire connects to the colour connected to 2 on the other sockets and do the same for 5 and 3

It sound like you may have found a problem if blue is loose
      Last edited by Brian69; 20-05-10 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast