Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Hope it gets better!!

This is a discussion on Hope it gets better!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, Sky have come back...2mb thats your lot. They reckon the lines not capable of any faster Went a bit ...

gary.edge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDLNCNG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear Nighthawk D7000
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Hope it gets better!!

Well, Sky have come back...2mb thats your lot. They reckon the lines not capable of any faster

Went a bit nuts at them for advertising they could give me 4.5-5mb then providing half the speed!!! Spoke to a supervisor who said according to the BT tests it should indeed be capable of providing the full 5mb but they cannot fulfil it.
      I'm going to go ahead and replace my cabling then give it another shot and if that doesn't work told them they can stuff their BB and i'll go to Virgin and get an 8mb cable connection.

So Brian, after looking at the cabling again want to do what was suggested by somone else earlier. Seeing as i've aready removed the Master downstairs may as well go the whole hog and start from scratch. If i have to get BT in they aint going to be happy already so nothing to lose! I
      'm going to replace the cable from the outside BT box direct to the new Master which i'm going to place upstairs. Then all i have to do is run a single cable from the Master to the junction box downstairs which will then just conect to the other socket i have in the front room.

So if i understand your previous instructions correctly i've edited it below, to show what i'm going to do.

(1) Run the 3-pair telephone cable from the outside BT box to the location of the router. Fit the NTE-5 master and connect as follows:

Green/white to B terminal.

White.green to A terminal.

(2) Run a new cable downstairs and on the filter faceplate connect

Blue/white to 2

White/blue to 5

Orange/white to 3

(3) In the junction box downstairs, disconnect all the old wires and join 2/5 and 3 above to the identical colours on the cable that goes to the front room.

Think i've got it right, can you confirm.

Thanks

Gary

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gary.edge View Post
      Went a bit nuts at them for advertising they could give me 4.5-5mb then providing half the speed!!! Spoke to a supervisor who said according to the BT tests it should indeed be capable of providing the full 5mb but they cannot fulfil it.
      the estimated speed will be based on the length and quality fo your external line so if there is problem with the wiring inside your house or coming into your house then no they wont be able to provide this speed.

if that doesn't work told them they can stuff their BB and i'll go to Virgin and get an 8mb cable connection.
      virgin dont have an 8mb cable package, research the packages they do have and their traffic management policies. virgin arent worth it unless you go for their 50mb package and if you do that you will pay for it big time.

Thanks

they do a 10mb over fibre dont they, or am i reading it wrong?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well, Sky have come back...2mb thats your lot. They reckon the lines not capable of any faster

I'm going to go ahead and replace my cabling then give it another shot and if that doesn't work told them they can stuff their BB and i'll go to Virgin and get an 8mb cable connection.

So Brian, after looking at the cabling again want to do what was suggested by somone else earlier. Seeing as i've aready removed the Master downstairs may as well go the whole hog and start from scratch. If i have to get BT in they aint going to be happy already so nothing to lose! I
      'm going to replace the cable from the outside BT box direct to the new Master which i'm going to place upstairs. Then all i have to do is run a single cable from the Master to the junction box downstairs which will then just conect to the other socket i have in the front room.

So if i understand your previous instructions correctly i've edited it below, to show what i'm going to do.

(1) Run the 3-pair telephone cable from the outside BT box to the location of the router. Fit the NTE-5 master and connect as follows:

Green/white to B terminal.

White.green to A terminal.

(2) Run a new cable downstairs and on the filter faceplate connect

Blue/white to 2

White/blue to 5

Orange/white to 3

(3) In the junction box downstairs, disconnect all the old wires and join 2/5 and 3 above to the identical colours on the cable that goes to the front room.

Think i've got it right, can you confirm.

Thanks

Gary

Right, if you are going to replace the cable from the outside box then I take it this cable will run on the outside of the building to the point where you wish to fit the master, and then go through the wall?
      If this is so then you need to get some external telephone cable, you need not get 3 pair, 2 pair will do.
      Is the master now to go in the same room as the present upstairs socket?

If it is, and you can replace the present socket with the new master, then you could use the existing cable to connect to the filter faceplate, as this already connects to the junction downstairs.

Thanks

fortunately it will be run inside.
      The BT box is mounted upide down on a facia board. I've drilled a hole straight through the bottom of the box and straight into the loft.

The master will replace the current box in the upstairs room.
      Thing is again just realised i'm only using 2 cables from the current junction box to the front room. Blue/white, white/blue, no others, but i've got an orange appearing in the actual front room box! Not quite sure what i was doing before so looks like i need to run new cable. Its not a problem though.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

they do a 10mb over fibre dont they, or am i reading it wrong?
      they currently offer 10mb, 20mb and 50mb but as i say be sure to check the traffic management polciy for the 10/20mb packages before going down that route

Thanks

ok thanks

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

fortunately it will be run inside.
      The BT box is mounted upide down on a facia board. I've drilled a hole straight through the bottom of the box and straight into the loft.

The master will replace the current box in the upstairs room.
      Thing is again just realised i'm only using 2 cables from the current junction box to the front room. Blue/white, white/blue, no others, but i've got an orange appearing in the actual front room box! Not quite sure what i was doing before so looks like i need to run new cable. Its not a problem though.
      Thats good then Proceed as follows.

(1) Run new cable from outside junction to the point where you wish to fit the new master.

(2) Connect to the master as follows (as you will only be using one pair of this cable you can use conventional colours)

Blue/white to B

White/blue to A

(3) Now connect the new cable at the outside box (how you do this will depend on the box, you may need some crimps) it does not matter which way round you connect the wires, but if you have a volt meter, check across the line at the outside box and connect the White/blue wire of the new cable to whichever is positive and the Blue/white to the other. If you have not got a volt meter, then dont worry.

(4) You should now have a dial tone at the test socket of the new master and nowhere else (you did remember to disconnect the old cable at the outside box)

(5) As this is an old installation, you may find an earth connection at the outside box, connected to a bare earth cable running down the outside of the building. If you do ignore it and just connect the blue pair of the new cable to to the overhead line.

The rest is the same as before, and if you have new cable then you can replace as necessary.
      Last edited by Brian69; 26-05-10 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks

right, here goes.....

Thanks

That was fun.
      Connected line from BT box to master, red light on router.
      Checked router status on web and it said ppp down.
      Called Sky, first guy couldnt help so passed me to 2nd level support.
      1/2 hr later and i get 4.0 meg in the test socket with a possible of 4.7 but engineer said there was quite a lot of noise and best not to push it to the max but leave it for a few days and call back.

Just plugged ADSL into faceplate filter and connected phone downstairs and its dropped to 3.7 meg. Bit late to do any more testing but still need to lay new cable to front room as its only running over blue/white white/blue (no orange) at the moment.

Its a start anyway. Take it i can remove the filters from front room and skyTV box now!

Thanks for your help Brian.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast