Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky refused support because I requested my Mac

This is a discussion on Sky refused support because I requested my Mac within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Last week my line was unacceptably slow even for Sky Connect so I sent a request for assistance in. I ...

emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky refused support because I requested my Mac

Last week my line was unacceptably slow even for Sky Connect so I sent a request for assistance in. I was told they could not help me as I had requested my Mac. If I let the Mac expire without switching to a new ISP, they would be able to help me, but not until after it expired. I'm still paying for the service so why would they refuse to provide technical support? Is this even legal?
      Last edited by emrobin; 20-05-10 at 03:09 AM. Reason: edited a sentence to make it easier to understand.
      Peak usage speed test

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Sky refused support because I requested my Mac

Quote Originally Posted by emrobin View Post
      If I let them expire without switching, they would be able to help me after they expired.:
      This bit is a bit confusing so i guess it may be a typo ?

I'm still paying for the service so why would they refuse to provide technical support?
      Totally agree with you on this, until you are gone if there is a problem then they should assist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      This bit is a bit confusing so i guess it may be a typo ?

Totally agree with you on this, until you are gone if there is a problem then they should assist.
      If I let the Mac expire. In other words, not switch to a new ISP. Then they would be able to help me again. Macs are good for 30 days. Essentially they were saying they would not assist me with any issues inside that 30 day window even though I was still a Sky broadband customer.
      Peak usage speed test

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Such are the joys of Sky Connect. In fairness to Sky they have little to do with this product from a technical point of veiw, so as soon as you request a MAC, they would know nothing else untill Openreach inform them that they have moved your connection at your request. For all Sky know you could be in the process of migrating now so they will be reluctant to help while a MAC is in force.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

If I let the Mac expire.
      Ah, yes I see what you mean.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What dept. was it? Cancellations, broadband tier 1 or broadband CST?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      What dept. was it? Cancellations, broadband tier 1 or broadband CST?
      Since I used the Kana form, I imagine it was Tier 1. The signature block says Sky Help Centre.
      Peak usage speed test

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Such are the joys of Sky Connect. In fairness to Sky they have little to do with this product from a technical point of veiw, so as soon as you request a MAC, they would know nothing else untill Openreach inform them that they have moved your connection at your request. For all Sky know you could be in the process of migrating now so they will be reluctant to help while a MAC is in force.
      I find it very hard to believe that a transfer of service can happen without them knowing when it is going to happen. Clearly they'd know so as not to bill you for services they no longer provide.

I am an American and Sky is the first broadband provider I have used in the UK. We don't have to request any type of Mac in the US to switch. We simply phone up the new company and get switched so I didn't realize the Mac was something that expired. I thought you requested it and kept it on file for future reference.

I may be moving back to the US in July. I'm not going to switch unless I end up staying longer. Mac requested or not, no company should be able to refuse to assist a paying customer when they're having problems with a service they are providing.
      Peak usage speed test

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I don't understand your problem. You have put in a request to move your Sky broadband to another provider, then complain when they say they can't assist you because, errm, you have requested to move your broadband... etc.

The infrastructure delivering your broadband belongs to BT, not Sky. So they would have to contract BT Openreach to investigate problems. If during this process another ISP takes over the line it will complicate the investigation. You may say you're not going to use the MAC code, but how do Sky know that?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I find it very hard to believe that a transfer of service can happen without them knowing when it is going to happen. Clearly they'd know so as not to bill you for services they no longer provide.

I am an American and Sky is the first broadband provider I have used in the UK. We don't have to request any type of Mac in the US to switch. We simply phone up the new company and get switched so I didn't realize the Mac was something that expired. I thought you requested it and kept it on file for future reference.

I may be moving back to the US in July. I'm not going to switch unless I end up staying longer. Mac requested or not, no company should be able to refuse to assist a paying customer when they're having problems with a service they are providing.
      When you request a Mac and decide to move to another ISP, you give them the Mac number. This is then given to Openreach who connect you to your new ISP. They then tell your old ISP you have moved, your old ISP then bills you up to your move date.

The point is that once you request a Mac you have 30 days to use it, and in this case Sky do not know if you have used it or not untill they hear from Openreach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast