Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky refused support because I requested my Mac

This is a discussion on Sky refused support because I requested my Mac within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Mr Spouse I don't understand your problem. You have put in a request to move your Sky ...

emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky refused support because I requested my Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      I don't understand your problem. You have put in a request to move your Sky broadband to another provider, then complain when they say they can't assist you because, errm, you have requested to move your broadband... etc.

The infrastructure delivering your broadband belongs to BT, not Sky. So they would have to contract BT Openreach to investigate problems. If during this process another ISP takes over the line it will complicate the investigation. You may say you're not going to use the MAC code, but how do Sky know that?
      There is not request to move my broadband. Having a Mac code only means you may be considering it. By odd coincidence, my already slow connection was even further degraded after I requested the Mac code. The Mac code has done nothing other than sit in an envelope on my desk. Naturally I'm going to request help from Sky if they're still providing my service regardless if I have a number sitting on my desk in an envelope. This Mac code system is a poor system. You should just be able to phone up a new broadband provider and get switched without a number. It's done like that in other countries. Then you avoid the company you're with not assisting you "just in case" you're switching.
      Peak usage speed test

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It can be very bad if Openreach fail to inform the previous ISP you have moved, then you get billed by both ISP's .

Its done like this to prevent any personal data held by one ISP being known by another. so if for instance you had been a late or poor bill payer, but no legal action had been taken against you, it is difficult for one ISP to inform another.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

It's also done to stop your line being taken over by an ISP who you didn't want to move to.

When the Utilities were 1st privitised there was a rash of door to door sellers who were signing people up without their knowledge or consent to their provider as they got comissions for doing so.

It got so nasty, I had one sales woman from nPower who threatened me physical harm if I didn't sign up there and then, so a quick call to the police and then she ran off.

Although the MAC process could be handled better and OFCOM needs to take breeches of MAC transfers more seriously, especially as now more and more services are being offered electronically (I only have 2 bills now come via post)
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

even if your broadband is pending cancel, whereby sky KNOW the broadband will be gone within 30 days rather than you MIGHT use the mac code to move to another ISP they still have to help you! mac codes are often auto-generated after billing issues etc also so dont let them fob you off with that one. you either got a very lazy tier 1 agent or someone who couldnt be bothered dealing with a problem due to it being the connect package.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emrobin View Post
      There is not request to move my broadband. Having a Mac code only means you may be considering it.
      Yes, and indicates as much to the ISP. Did you request it or was it Sky's idea? If you did request it, why?

You should just be able to phone up a new broadband provider and get switched without a number. It's done like that in other countries.
      Two problems - 1) How does the new provider know which line to switch; 2) How does the existing ISP know the request is genuine? Answer - they get the information from you. It stops any old third party ringing up your current ISP claiming you have given them authority to switch your connection when you haven't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      It's also done to stop your line being taken over by an ISP who you didn't want to move to.

When the Utilities were 1st privitised there was a rash of door to door sellers who were signing people up without their knowledge or consent to their provider as they got comissions for doing so.

It got so nasty, I had one sales woman from nPower who threatened me physical harm if I didn't sign up there and then, so a quick call to the police and then she ran off.

Although the MAC process could be handled better and OFCOM needs to take breeches of MAC transfers more seriously, especially as now more and more services are being offered electronically (I only have 2 bills now come via post)
      If there were that many problems with phony transfers, I understand why the system is this way. I do recall a similar problem in the US, but on a very small scale, during the 90's when there was a lot of competition in the long distance market. Haven't heard of anyone being transferred without consent in over a decade though.
      Peak usage speed test

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post

Originally Posted by emrobin View Post
      There is no request to move my broadband. Having a Mac code only means you may be considering it.

Mr Spouse: Yes, and indicates as much to the ISP. Did you request it or was it Sky's idea? If you did request it, why?

emrobin: You should just be able to phone up a new broadband provider and get switched without a number. It's done like that in other countries.

Mr. Spouse: Two problems - 1) How does the new provider know which line to switch; 2) How does the existing ISP know the request is genuine? Answer - they get the information from you. It stops any old third party ringing up your current ISP claiming you have given them authority to switch your connection when you haven't.
      1) How does the new provider know which line to switch
      - You can't have DSL without a phone number. That number is tied to your house. Give them your number and they know which line to switch. Pretty basic stuff.

2) How does the existing ISP know the request is genuine?
      - Good question and since phony transfers are a problem in the UK, the Mac system make sense.

I didn't understand the purpose of it before, but completely understand it now. Irregardless, requesting a Mac code because you're considering moving shouldn't remove an ISPs responsibility to fix a problem that occurs while you're still paying them to provide the service. That was the intent of this threat. To find out if UK ISPs are allowed to disregard calls for help simply because someone requested a Mac code.
      Peak usage speed test

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      even if your broadband is pending cancel, whereby sky KNOW the broadband will be gone within 30 days rather than you MIGHT use the mac code to move to another ISP they still have to help you! mac codes are often auto-generated after billing issues etc also so dont let them fob you off with that one. you either got a very lazy tier 1 agent or someone who couldnt be bothered dealing with a problem due to it being the connect package.
      That was my line of thought as well. The Connect package is atrocious. I'm definitely willing to pay three to four times for my broadband to have much better service. The Connect package is my only option through Sky and I had no idea how bad it was prior to signing up. Lesson learned. We'll see where I end up in two months. If I go back to the states, then I'm back in broadband heaven. If I stay here, I'd have to move house to enjoy better broadband. I'll probably give ADSL24 a go as I do like the large house I'm living in and where it is located.

Thanks to all who replied.
      Peak usage speed test

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

What problem did you want Sky to help with?

Was it just that connect is slow?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsldude View Post
      What problem did you want Sky to help with?

Was it just that connect is slow?
      It was beyond slow and it kept going out repeatedly. The problem seems to have rectified itself though. Now I'm just back to the "normal" slow Connect rather than what it was.
      Peak usage speed test

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12