Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

websites that dont work!

This is a discussion on websites that dont work! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What's the last hop before it times out? Also, what (if any) firewall, AV, or anti-spyware are you using? And ...

skalpel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      What's the last hop before it times out? Also, what (if any) firewall, AV, or anti-spyware are you using? And what result are you getting from the nslookup command?

2. Advertisement
      gogsie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problems getting onto Internet

I finally got my sky equipment and have gone through the set up and can now finally access my (send and receive) emails through Microsoft outlook. However, I try to go onto the internet via explorer and it comes up with HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden error message and saying that I do not have persmission to access the page. I have tried over 20 pages all with the same result. I had no problems before when I was with Pipex and all I have done is installed the Sky equipment. I phoned sky and said I needed to ping my router but I do not have ethernet connection on my computer so he said he could not help and best I take my computer to a shop. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get online again?

skalpel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      That sounds more like you're trying to go through Pipex's proxy - go to Tools>Internet Settings>Connections>LAN Settings and set "Direct connection to the internet" and see if that works.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Tried that already but no change, next suggestion?

Ralph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWNEDG
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: 2x Sky+HD 1tb
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gogsie View Post
      ......I do not have ethernet connection on my computer....
      What sort of modem did you use with Pipex? Was it a router/modem (ethernet connection) or a USB modem?

How have you connected the SkyBox to your computer?

-----------

There is a VERY powerful utility called WinsockFix.exe that will clean up your TCP/IP connection and rebuild the database. After the program is complete, reboot and your problems should be resolved.

It is simple to use, quick & brilliant.

I have not provided a link because
      I take NO responsibility, use it at your own risk - create a restore point 1st, but it can back up your registry for you as well.

It is widely available & works for Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP.

If you still have connection problems after this, your problem is not your windows configuration.
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      With Pipex I had a PCI adsl modem which I had no problems with. i have connected the sky router with a usb wireless stick which i also got from sky, thinking it would be easier to set up and work. Will try that thanks. Someone when I search the net suggested a resitry problem although it always worked ok up until I installed the sky router.

Thanks
      WinsockFix would sort out any registry problems

(Forgot about the PCI alternative!)
      LWNEDG
      Unlimited

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      fantastic, thank you, will give it a go when i get home and let you know

Thanks

A collection of tools & sensible precautions

There are a few things I do weekly to keep my computers sweet. Most are M$ utilities & tools.

Again I take no responsibility, If you choose to do these, it is AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Start Run > sfc /scannow
      (You will need the XP installation disk.) This checks every system file for wholesomeness. If it doesn't like what it finds, it copies a clean version, either from the installation disk or an system library folder if it has been updated. It is intelligent and will not overwrite a newer file with an obsolete file. It's reporting when finished is non existent. This is part of Windows File Protection.

QFECHECK.exe utility checks that every service patch is correctly installed. If it reports one or more isn't correctly installed, jot down the number, go to Add/Remove, uninstall it, reboot & run M$ update to reinstall it. Then re-run QFEcheck.
      1stly you will have to google for the QFECHECK version appropriate to your version of windows, download it & install it. IT MUST BE RUN FROM A COMMAND PROMPT or you won't be able to see the results! Even if you choose not to fix a problem, at least you will then know of it's existence!

Defragment. (I actually use PerfectDisk)

DiskCheck. This checks files / file structure / directory entries etc for errors. IT CAN TAKE A LONG TIME TO RUN - hours sometimes. you will not be able to use the computer whilst this is running. Overnight is a good time.
      Open up an incidence of WINDOWS explorer (NOT IE). Right click the C drive (or other), select properties > tools > error checking, tick both boxes, OK, read the advice, click yes & reboot.

Initially it might take 2 rounds of the above to completely clear a problem as it can involve more than one of the fixes above.

Windows Defender. Anti Spyware. Install it and set it to run say weekly.

---------

Commercial protection

Zone Alarm various possibilities & alternatives
      - FireWall (The MS version does not give ANY outbound protection if your computer is infected.
      - AntiVirus RUN WEEKLY
      - AntiSpyware RUN WEEKLY (running 2 is not a problem)

Ensure your AntiSpywares, Antivirus, and Windows installation is ALWAYS fully up to date. There is no excuse if you are on broadband!

When M$ issue security updates, it is important to install them ASAP. Why you may ask? Because the scallywags examine an update & reverse engineer it into a virus with the intent of infecting a few computers before those have been updated!! When it comes to security updates IGNORE ADVICE THAT SAYS, IF IT AIN'T BROKEN. DON'T FIX IT!

FireFox (It's free) is a far superior browser than IE. There are many extensions that are freely available. Securitywise, one of the best is NO MORE SCRIPTS. This blocks all scripts but allows you to reenable them on a site by site basis to your liking.

Registry cleaner - there are many to choose from

Download a keep a copy of WinSockFix.exe before you can't access the internet & it needs fixing ...........

Practise Safe Surfing or use protection!

LWNEDG
      Unlimited

skullkid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: (WMLON)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      that Torpark browser is only working becoz its ruing through a http proxy connection.
      and i wouldnt trust it when it comes to adding site account info

is also doesnt fix the problem alot of sky users are having o.O

i got my first month free from sky for now.
      im happy with the service for now but the sooner its fixed the bette

hmm dunno whats going on but i couldnt view http://www.imdb.com/ the other day but now i can again weird
      Last edited by skullkid; 22-09-06 at 04:06 PM.
      Motto - "Vis unita fortior"

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast