Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

websites that dont work!

This is a discussion on websites that dont work! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Manik again. Did i forget to also mention that trying to log on to my Gmail account is also an ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Angry

Manik again.

Did i forget to also mention that trying to log on to my Gmail account is also an absolute nightmare as after putting the username and password in, it seems to go into a complete loop by automatically constantly refreshing and attempting to logon on.

I can't even go back a screen and the only way to end the session is by closing the browser down and restarting.

I am increasingly becoming extremenly miffed and i've only had broadband for less than hald a day!

Is anyone having any luck with Sky?

I'm wondering whether The McAfee Security Centre that comes with the installation disc has anything to do with all this problem accessing sites. Could its firewall be blocking access to sites requring passwords??

I'm guessing here.....

Any lights from tech experts would be helpful.

Manik

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi Manik

Try disabling the Macafee firewall and try, that will let you know if it is that causing the problem. Normally right click on the icon near the time bottom right hand corner and click on disable.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Hi NewsreadeR,

Tried your suggestion with disabling McAfee but still no luck with hotmail.

Manik

skalpel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm a UK Online user thinking about moving over to Sky broadband (same kit, so hopefully I'll get the same speed etc), but this has got me worried - how much troubleshooting has anyone tried?

Some quick things to try - first of all, grab your own IP address by visiting http://www.whatismyip.com/ and then (for a Windows XP/2k machine) click Start>Run and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and hit return. In the box that come in type "nslookup <address of site>" then "tracert <first IP returned>", and post the results here - blank out the last two octets of your IP if you're worried about security. (To copy from the DOS box, right-click the title bar of the box and tick the box marked "Quick Edit", then just drag over the text you want to copy and hit Return).

I'll compare them with the results I get from my UK Online account and maybe we can work out if this is actually Sky deliberately blocking, the other site blocking, or just a problem with the Sky service itself.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      @Manik, I know this is a probably a very silly suggestion, but have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by skalpel View Post
      In the box that come in type "nslookup <address of site>" then "tracert <first IP returned>", and post the results here - blank out the last two octets of your IP if you're worried about security. (To copy from the DOS box, right-click the title bar of the box and tick the box marked "Quick Edit", then just drag over the text you want to copy and hit Return).
      Hi Skalpel,

would love to follow your instructions but you kinda lost me with the above.

After typing 'nslookup' did you want me to type the address of site using <> to start and end e.g <www.hotmail.com> and press return or type the next bit as well?

Also, for "tracert<first IP returned> did you want this typed into a new command line? Do i type the words 'first Ip returned' or should there be something else typed here?

Sorry for the complete novice questions as i've never had to go through this process as this is the first time i've had broadband. Hasn't been a pleasant experience so far with no access to any of mny e-mail addresses. Just found out can't even listen to the Five live football commentary on BBC website.

Manik

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hugsie View Post
      @Manik, I know this is a probably a very silly suggestion, but have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?
      Hi Hugsie,

Tried that couple of time with no luck.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Ok, just thought I would check, sometimes you spend ages looking for a problem and forget the simple stuff! At least I do

bravedan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton (SDLTTLH)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I was activated 18/9.

Basically, as used to networks, netgear products, and shy of install disks from bitter experience, I setup purely manually, only wired, and currently to only one PC.

Connection keeps going to "sleep". If you get it working and keep using it, it's fine.................pause for 5 mins and suddenly sites start timing out on connection, or server resets during connecting, or sometimes when even able to access homepages, can get no deeper....THEN get timeouts/resets.

Power cycle router and it work fine till you pause for a few mins!!!!!!

cnn.com IS available, uktrainsim.com and others I need to access are not.

Getting timeouts on sky.com and skybroadband.com........

Sky site...........

Totally unable to access password change.

Totally unable to add Email addresses.

Told "we have a problem, no current solution" by Tech Support

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Talking

Hi everyone,

I think i've managed to figure out what the main problem is in not being able to access to certain websites -McAFEE!!!

I've just gone ahead and did a complete uninstall of the whole McAfee Security Centre package, not just disabling some aspects, and tried using Sky Broadband again. Now it seems i can access everything normally including logging onto Hotmail, Gmail etc.

If anyone is using McAfee and facing problems accessing certain websites, it may be worth doing the same. I've gone back to using the Kerio Firewall and AVG free anti-virus again.

Manik

PS: Until the next Sky problem....he he he ;-)

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast