Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Intermittent Internet Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Internet Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yeah I only have one phone point in the house. My router is connected directly to that using only the ...

Big_Lad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Internet Connection

Yeah I only have one phone point in the house. My router is connected directly to that using only the data cable that came with it, I am not using any form of third party telephone/data extension lead.

2. Advertisement
      rich_clarkson999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 Unlimited
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The exact same thing started happening to me last night. Didnt know if it was a line fault but its been the same today and after reading your post im guessing we are both in need of a replacement router.

I'll get sky rung first thing in the morning! Anyone know the average wait time for a replacement router to be sent?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rich_clarkson999 View Post
      The exact same thing started happening to me last night. Didnt know if it was a line fault but its been the same today and after reading your post im guessing we are both in need of a replacement router.

I'll get sky rung first thing in the morning! Anyone know the average wait time for a replacement router to be sent?
      Sky want their agents to say 3-5 working days, but it's usually 2-3 working days.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just spoken to Sky and they ran a test to my router and everything is fine. While i was on the phone there was a lot of static noise as i was trying to talk to the rep.

He suspected that my micro filter might be dying, so i unplugged my router from the filter and the static on the line disappeared instantly, plugged it back in and it came back.

I've got two new filters coming to me in the post, so this could hopefully be my problem resolved.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It may fix it, but there are numerous other things that could be the cause, such as the router or adsl cable.

- Are you positive that you don't have a test socket?
      - Is the set-up as follows: master socket > filter > router/phone (with no extension cables in use and no other telephone sockets in use)?
      - Do you have a spare router and/or adsl cable?

Instead of waiting on the microfilters, you may be best going out and buying your own and swapping them over. If no difference, then you're probably looking at a faulty router and/or adsl cable.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Are you connectiong wirelessly from upstairs in your property whilst your router is in the downstairs master socket? If so, it may need nothing more than a change of wireless channel.

Just a thought that occurred to me when you mentioned your router was downstairs. This led me to believe your computer was maybe upstairs?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Wireless interference wouldn't explain the noise on the phone line though so I doubt very much that has anything to do with it.

It's going to be either filters or router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      - Are you positive that you don't have a test socket?
      - Is the set-up as follows: master socket > filter > router/phone (with no extension cables in use and no other telephone sockets in use)?
      - Do you have a spare router and/or adsl cable?
      Yeah i only have the master socket on my wall connection. To confirm the setup is Master Socket > filter > ADSL cable (no extension lead) > Router. I don't have a spare router but I fabricated a new ADSL cable at work and after using that there was no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      Are you connectiong wirelessly from upstairs in your property whilst your router is in the downstairs master socket? If so, it may need nothing more than a change of wireless channel.

Just a thought that occurred to me when you mentioned your router was downstairs. This led me to believe your computer was maybe upstairs?
      My router is downstairs and i connect to it via wireless from my laptop, but my HTPC has a wired connection to the router and the problem is still occuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Wireless interference wouldn't explain the noise on the phone line though so I doubt very much that has anything to do with it.

I'm hoping it will be the micro filter, if not the Sky guy said to call them back and they would look about sending a new router.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

Yes, it is likely to be the filters or router for noise on the line. It also usually happens if there are other sockets in the house which are not filtered. However in this case, I see there are no other sockets.

If the filters resolve the noise issue however, I think I would definitely check out the wireless side before opting for another router. Since oow replacements are now charged for, its good to eliminate all other possibilities first.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      Yes, it is likely to be the filters or router for noise on the line. It also usually happens if there are other sockets in the house which are not filtered. However in this case, I see there are no other sockets.

If the filters resolve the noise issue however, I think I would definitely check out the wireless side before opting for another router. Since oow replacements are now charged for, its good to eliminate all other possibilities first.
      If for no other reason this is why those who sign up to Sky BB from another ISP should keep their old routers. Without the username and password it would sync, and with the username and password, it can be used to prove if your Sky router is the problem .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12