Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back to Sky :)

This is a discussion on Back to Sky :) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After being with O2 for a few months and finding their customer support on the mobile side of things absolutely ...

James_478 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aycliffe [NEAYC]
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Back to Sky :)

After being with O2 for a few months and finding their customer support on the mobile side of things absolutely terrible and having many issues with them, I decided to leave the company completely; broadband and all.

I have moved back to Sky and just have a couple of questions

1. Am I on DLM? I know this is asked a lot and I believe I am. When it first connected, my line attenuation was 38, then the connection died and the attenuation jumped up to 40. This happened last time I was with sky when they switched me from ADSL to ADSL2+.

Downstream: 4093kbps
      Upstream: 604kbps
      Line Attenuation Down: 40db
      Line Attenuation Up: 24db
      Noise Margin Down: 20db
      Noise Margin Up: 16db

When I was with O2, I had a connection speed of about 10,000/11,000 kbps downstream and 1,300 kbps upstream. Is that likely here or not?

2. I want to use my own router, I am using WiFi and my own router is 'N' rather than 'G' and I have extra options for QoS and I'd like to use my own router. What's the chances of me getting kicked off or having my service disconnected for using my own router? If the chances are low and it's possible, how would I go about doing this?
      Last edited by James_478; 17-05-10 at 07:55 PM.

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Back to Sky :)

your downstream may even get slightly higher than 10-11mbps, noise levels are good for your attenuation

chances of getting kicked off for using a third party router is very very slim, if it does happen then go to a provider that allows you to use your own equipment.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have been put on ADSL2+ but DLM may not have started yet. Sometimes it takes about 3 days to kick in. You will soon know, as your router will resync in the early hours and raise your speeds.

You should get much the same speed as you did with O2, maybe a bit lower as Sky use a higher default noise margin. You are unlikely to get 1300 upload, very few do, most with your attenuation get between 900 and 1100.

There is no record of anyone being penalized for using their own router and many do. If you want to do this, have a look at this section's stickies. - Asking for help

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      your downstream may even get slightly higher than 10-11mbps, noise levels are good for your attenuation

chances of getting kicked off for using a third party router is very very slim, if it does happen then go to a provider that allows you to use your own equipment.
      Cool thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You have been put on ADSL2+ but DLM may not have started yet. Sometimes it takes about 3 days to kick in. You will soon know, as your router will resync in the early hours and raise your speeds.

You should get much the same speed as you did with O2, maybe a bit lower as Sky use a higher default noise margin. You are unlikely to get 1300 upload, very few do, most with your attenuation get between 900 and 1100.

There is no record of anyone being penalized for using their own router and many do. If you want to do this, have a look at this section's stickies. - Asking for help
      Thank you I'll take a look at that, I'll leave the Sky Router plugged in until DLM appears to have finished with my line.

Just a question, why won't I get 1300 upload, it this because of the different noise margins too? I had 1300 with O2 and had no problems.

If I do what I used to do and reboot my router in the morning so it syncs at a higher speed and leave it, will it stay connected at higher speeds? This worked with O2 too, I have had 13Mb out of this line before. The noise margin quite often dropped down to 1db and sometimes even got to 0.3db but still stayed connected without issues

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just a question, why won't I get 1300 upload
      Nobody quite knows, but I would not run out of fingers counting the ones who have got 1300 on the forum.

Whether your connection holds up with a low attenuation depends on the line and the particular router. Usually when the noise margin drops low you will start generating errors, whether these effect your speed depends on how many occur in a short period. Too many mean the data has to be resent, thus slowing down your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Nobody quite knows, but I would not run out of fingers counting the ones who have got 1300 on the forum.

Whether your connection holds up with a low attenuation depends on the line and the particular router. Usually when the noise margin drops low you will start generating errors, whether these effect your speed depends on how many occur in a short period. Too many mean the data has to be resent, thus slowing down your connection.
      Thanks again I suppose I shall see what happens, if the Sky router is not holding speeds at the lower noise margins I shall give my own router a go and see how that copes with Sky

Sorry for all these questions, but I just received an email from O2 saying that BT are cutting off my telephone line and that I won't be able to have broadband. Does this mean I have been or am being switched to sky's new network? How do I check this and what does it mean?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Have you taken line rental from Sky? if you have then that will lilely be the cause.

Personally, I would do everythng in my power to stop this happening, ring Sky and tell them you do not want the line rental or want to opt out of their SVBN system if they will allow it.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

When I left o2 I got the same email, even though I called them up and asked for a Mac code and gave them the reason for leaving and the line is still with BT anyway, the move across to Sky still went fine though.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_478 View Post
      Thanks again I suppose I shall see what happens, if the Sky router is not holding speeds at the lower noise margins I shall give my own router a go and see how that copes with Sky
      i think the difference is your actual line settings, 02 may be able to set your target SNR lower than 7db whereas 7db is as low as sky go. your router will sync in with the highest possible speeds to leave you with a SNR of 7db, i may be wrong however

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

O2's target SNR is 6dB I believe...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast