Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet cuts out whilst downloading.

This is a discussion on Internet cuts out whilst downloading. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This seems to be an ongoing problem, I was just downloading the trial version of Photoshop CS5 from Adobe, and ...

Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Internet cuts out whilst downloading.

This seems to be an ongoing problem, I was just downloading the trial version of Photoshop CS5 from Adobe, and the download was going pretty quickly (1.4 to 1.5mbps) the first thing that happened is MSN disconnected, then the internet went completely, had to switch the router off and on again... It worked fine again until I restarted the download, same speeds, MSN cut out again, fortunately the download completed before the internet went again...

Any ideas why this is happening? I'm on the max/unlimited/whatever they call it these days package, using a wireless connection. Sagem (notveryf@st) router.

Stats if anyone needs them:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19880 kbps 1008 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 db 6.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 8.0 db
      Last edited by Azasmith; 14-05-10 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Inc Stats.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Internet cuts out whilst downloading.

It sounds like you are topping out your connection with the download and there is then no extra bandwidth to spare for anything else.

You cannot have your cake and eat it.

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I've seen something similar and it turned out to be a problem on the wireless side, interference causing a weak signal therefore lower wireless transmit rate and the router tied itself in a knot with retransmits and crashed. If you can, try connecting using an Ethernet cable and download ' Photoshop CS5' again to rule out the wireless element.

I bet this sort of thing will become more common with FTTC around the corner, VDSL running at 40Mbit/s, FTTP at 100Mbit/s but the wirless just about managing 4Mbit/s!

Thanks

Yeh, there isn't a problem with the wireless, it does it with both routers, nearest wireless channel to mine is 5 channels away. I'm using a brand new Belkin N+ router now too with N+ capable laptops.

Mums other half is downloading the Garmin software + updates, and the internet is really struggling. The Belkin has an auto QoE, but it doesn't seem to do anything, and there's no options to set maximum limits...

Wired isn't really an option to be honest.

It always seems to cut out at 1.5mbps as well.

HDCheapskate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWEXTR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

As others say, the download is saturating the connection so there is no headroom for anything else to run.

I have my PCs configured with download managers, all of which have a bandwidth cap set in their config so there's no way I can cause this problem when I download.

It also helps, if you ever use uTorrent, to set a max global connections to 200 or less, as most routers can't handle more concurrent connections than this and fereeze up even if the bandwidth isn't saturated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HDCheapskate View Post
      As others say, the download is saturating the connection so there is no headroom for anything else to run.
      So why am I paying for 20Meg broadband if after 1.5mb it just cuts out? And it's not just nothing else running, leave it long enough, the router completely dies and has to be reset.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Azasmith View Post
      So why am I paying for 20Meg broadband if after 1.5mb it just cuts out? And it's not just nothing else running, leave it long enough, the router completely dies and has to be reset.
      Hang on a minute,

Let's make one thing clear - you aren't paying for 20Mbit. The product is marketed as an upto 20 Meg product specified to run at any speed between 1/2 a meg and 20 meg. If you want garunteed 20Mbit on a 1:1 contention call Easynet and ask for their SureStream product. Might need to put your whole salary into their account to pay for it, mind.

All and any download progress windo I've seen measures in MegaBYTES / sec not MegaBITS / sec.

So, you were downloading CS5. Was this using a download manager? If so, do you know how many concurrent connections the download manager had open for the download?

Like I said, even if the throughput isn't maxing out your bandwidth, if the download manager or P2P software (whichever you may be using) has a crazy amount of concurrent connections open it will kill your connection, because the routing table in the router fills up.

Also have you tested with another router? Some are better than others at handling multiple connections, and although the Belkin might have N+ wireless tech, that says nothing about how big it's routing table is / how well written it's firmware is / how powerful it's SOC is.

As of late I have played with a D-Link DSL-2740R, which a well known website crowned "The King of Ping". It has great wireless throughput, and a simple to use setup which looks very polished; but when it comes to downloads, multimple connections, or P2P software, it just died.

No fault of the ISP but try to download a torrent or the like and the router couldn't handle it, would peak up to 1.5Mbyt/sec, drop to zero whilst it recovered, peak up to 1.5Mbyte/sec, back to zero and carry on like this all the while accessing the web was inpossible. Tested a Netgear DGN2000 in it's place, no problems.

Give it a shout with another router see if you get the same results

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HDCheapskate View Post
      Hang on a minute,

So, you were downloading CS5. Was this using a download manager? If so, do you know how many concurrent connections the download manager had open for the download?
      Yepp, Adobes own Akamai downloader.

Also have you tested with another router? Some are better than others at handling multiple connections, and although the Belkin might have N+ wireless tech, that says nothing about how big it's routing table is / how well written it's firmware is / how powerful it's SOC is.
      It's possibly to do with the sagem, as the Belkin is a cable router with the Sagem plugged into it.

Thanks

Ah so yes the Sagem may still be the bottleneck. I haven't really used the Sagem on my line bar the initial sync so I cant say what it's capable of just yet but regardless what router you're using, it's good practice to, where possible, limit the max bandwidth and max connections a download manager / P2P software use.

If not possible, like with Akami, as you've found, you just have to grin and bear rubbish performance with other web based tasks whilst the download is running.

It's not a limitation of the ADSL service; rather a limitation of common or garden home user routers. No doubt the likes of a Draytek Vigor 2820 or Netgear Prosafe router won't have such limitations; but they are business class and very expensive routers... one of those things you'll just have to live with when you use low consumer grade routers I'm afraid

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Few more troubleshooting steps:
      • Do you have the same problem no matter what large file you download, from any site (could it be Adobe download specific)?
      • Plug the official Sky Sagem into the phone, disconnect any other routers, computers, etc and with a network cable connect the router to your test computer run your test again. This will rule out the wireless element (dodgy wireless card in the computer, interference etc) and that the non-Sky Belkin isn't confusing things.
      • Have you tried the same Adobe download test on another computer in the house wireless/Ethernet if the other computer is OK its a computer specific issue and nothing to do with the router/Sky?
      Last edited by DesertRaven; 15-05-10 at 12:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast