Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Connect blocking FTP connection at peak times

This is a discussion on Sky Connect blocking FTP connection at peak times within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, Does anyone else have any experience of Sky blocking FTP connections at peak times? I have great connectivity ...

wojoco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Post Sky Connect blocking FTP connection at peak times

Hi there,

Does anyone else have any experience of Sky blocking FTP connections at peak times?

I have great connectivity to my sites all the way through the day, then the time turns 6pm and suddenly it all cuts out. Amazingly, within seconds of midnight passing, the connectivity is all back up again.

This is not a server issue, these connections span servers on many continents. The timing of this, every single day, seems uncanny if it isn't a central block.

Anybody else experienced this? I'm a happy Sky customer, they beat Orange who I was with previously by a country mile, and speed is very acceptable. This is, however, highly annoying!

John

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect blocking FTP connection at peak times

your on sky broadband connect. that is your problem and the only way of resolving the issue is to move to a provider offering LLU at your exchange(if there are any). sky connect is a re-badged BT product which is severely over subscribed and poor during peak hours(and outside peak hours for alot of users).

you can read numerous threads on the forum about the problems of sky connect and other users experiences with it. check out www.samknows.com to see if any providers offer an unbundled service in your exchange

edit: by the way the connect traffic management policy officially applies 5pm-midnight and during the weekends.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They are not blocking FTP, they are running out of capacity and that stops everything working at any sort of speed.

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Thanks

So basically what these guys above me have just said... Sky Connect sucks and you should move to something different if possible.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

wojoco
      Hi if you run a Bt speed test Bt Updated Speed Tester in the day time when everything runs smoothly then a Bt speed test at night time when the connect package is being traffic managed post the results. you will see a big difference with the downstream. You could also post your exchange. If you have no LLU at your exchange have a look at Broadband from 4.99 - Compare Best Broadband Deals, Packages & UK Broadband Providers

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

if you cant get an llu service at your exchange then move isp to idnet or plusnet, you wont get the problem you mentioned with them(not with idnet anyway i have their service and nothing changes wether it be 6pm or whatever the time) sky connects speed is the issue not them blocking ftp.

i had same issue on connect with gaming, id go online at around 9-10 and it was so bad i couldnt even keep a connection going it was god awful but with idnet honestly you dont get that issue,nothing changes whatever the time,they aint the cheapest but sky charge 17 for connect anyway so it isnt much different in price and they also run their service on a monthly contract thats how confident they are of their performance.