Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Skype Packet Loss - Sky Connect

This is a discussion on Skype Packet Loss - Sky Connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Everyone, Can I start by adding to the numerous comments on how bad the Sky Connect package is. I ...

korpro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Skype Packet Loss - Sky Connect

Hi Everyone,

Can I start by adding to the numerous comments on how bad the Sky Connect package is. I joined Sky Connect in October last year after I moved to a new village and it is quite possibly one of the worst broadband experiences I have had. Oh to be back in the last house with an LLU Tiscali connection!!

Anyway, enough of that. I am having serious issues with packet loss in Skype. Before I spend countless hours chasing a problem that I ultimately wont be able to resolve I thought I would ask you guys to see what other people are experiencing with Skype calls on Sky Connect.

I am running the latest Skype client on Windows 7 with a 12 month old high end laptop. For the most part I am calling Australia on a Sunday morning and the remote end is saying they are getting good video and audio from me, but I get rubbish video and audio. The skype stats are telling me I am running at about 20% packet loss from the remote end, on a rate of about 2kBps, meanwhile I am uploading with 0% packet loss at a rate of 35kBps.

Now thinking that the distance being covered may have a small part to play (450ms odd round trip time), I ran a test to the Skype Echo / Sound Test Service (100ms odd round trip time) and I am getting the same results.

I initially thought Skype may be doing too good of a job at uploading the video and audio from me, and that the 35kB upload was killing the link. But then that didn't wash for the Echo Test call as the upload was as low 1kB with the same bad audio coming back.

Some technical info for my connection:

Distance to the exchange: 180 yards (yes that is the street based distance as the straight line distance is shorter)

Downstream
      Speed: 8128kbps
      Line Attenuation: 7.0db
      Noise Margin: 12.3db

Upstream
      Speed: 448kbps
      Line Attenuation: 6.5db
      Noise Margin: 22.0db

Of all the times I have run the BT speedtester, I generally get between 750kBps and 1MB down regardless of the time, only once did I get 5.5MB and that was on Sunday morning at 11am. My line profile is always 6MB or above, but generally sits on 7MB.
      Last edited by korpro; 10-05-10 at 04:11 PM. Reason: I cant spell!! :D

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Skype Packet Loss - Sky Connect

There will be nothing wrong your end, it is really just down to the package you are on, as it is over capacity, there will be a delay in sending/recieving packets of data and they will eventually be lost causing your current problem.

Personally, I would move to another ISP as fast as I could, Sky will not hold you to contract due to the poor useability.

Have you checked to see if there are any other LLU ISP's in your exchange~? as with that attenuation is so low, it seems a shame to be wasting it.

Maximus007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

When you send data it is split into little packets which are each sent on different routes, each packet has TTL or time to live. If the packet is bouncing around from router to router and the ttl runs out you get dropped packets.

If the user on the other end is getting good video from you I would say that their connection may be causing the problem, i.e. their packets are being dropped thus your end can't make sense of things, because it's only getting small chunks of the data.

Does this happen only when you call the person in Australia or does it happen in other calls, like if you called someone with the UK?

Please don't use the BT speed tester it tends to give bad results when you are testing from another provider. Use this http://www.speedtest.net/

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Please don't use the BT speed tester it tends to give bad results when you are testing from another provider.
      Not true, the OP is on Connect which is a BT package, no different from one direct from BT, apart from Sky's severe throttling at peak times that is. Speedtest.net has proved time and time again to be next to useless. Just look at some of the ridiculous speeds posted in the forum for confirmation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

korpro
      Hi the times that are really bad are 5pm till Midnight, public Holidays and Weekends.
      Of all the times I have run the BT speedtester, I generally get between 750kBps and 1MB down regardless of the time, only once did I get 5.5MB and that was on Sunday morning at 11am. My line profile is always 6MB or above, but generally sits on 7MB.

Maximus007

Hi I always thought that if you were not on a Bt product or Bt re-badged product from other ISPs like Sky connect you are unable to use it.
      Please don't use the BT speed tester it tends to give bad results when you are testing from another provider.

Thanks

Unfortunately I am on a BT Wholesale only exchange (Market 1 Exchange I think it's called) so I don't really have anywhere to go. The joys of living in a small village!! I am thinking of moving to BT though. Probably wont make much difference in the overall experience, but at least I would be able to complain to someone who is in the same family.

I use the BT Speedtester as I have seen it written in other Sky Connect posts on here that it is the only one you can reliably use for someone on a BT Wholesale / Sky Connect package.

So far as other calls are concerned. I have a similar problem when I have called someone in the UK. The audio and video I get from them is awful. I haven't made that call for a couple of weeks, so I might try it again and see how it goes.

Like I said, I get awful audio from the Skype Echo Test call and that is just an audio call!!

Smithy99
      as with that attenuation is so low, it seems a shame to be wasting it.
      Tell me about it. I finally get close enough to the exchange to get a great connection and I end up on Sky Connect!!

Thanks anyway guys, I think I am just going to have to put up with it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Some users have moved to Plusnet and IDnet and report a good service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

as stated plusnet and idnet are good.

i have same connection speed as you if you look in my attached picture and my attenuation is worse than yours and i get 6.6meg roughly all day long on idnet.

why go to bt when you can try plusnet or idnet (which by the why do monthly contracts instead of being tied down for year plus etc with sky,bt) and get the maximum speed your connection is capable of pretty much 24/7.

honestly once you move over to idnet (or plusnet have great feeback too),you will be wondering why you didnt do it b4, dont move to bt and suffer a just as bad service almost as connect,go with an isp that does a good service.you wont regret it.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skype Packet Loss - Sky Connect-11052010-stat.jpg  

Thanks

I thought I would update you all on what I found out regarding Skype packet loss on Sky Connect. My father-in-law lives about 20 miles away in a fairly major centre and recently moved to BT ADSL after having some issues with Virgin Media's cable service. I thought I would skype call with him just now and check what the stats were like

The ping time was 60ms average between us and I am still loosing 22% packets. Also this was without video coming from him. I was sending out video and audio at 19kBps (which they were receiving fine), but was getting audio at 1kBps or less and couldn't make half of it out. I have been checking the technical info on all skype calls I have made since I first posted and I don't think I have seen a call register a download rate over 1kBps or have a packet loss rate less than 20%.

Just for fairness. I have tested the same laptop on other internet connections and the loss rate is 0%.

Thanks for the info on the alternative ISP's guys. I will check them out. At the end of the day I am happy to have to pay for a service, but I just want one that works. I need to be able to have half decent skype calls with my family in Australia and at the moment I am just happy to hear every third word!!