Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

connecting wifi enabled laptop to router ( no desktop pc)

This is a discussion on connecting wifi enabled laptop to router ( no desktop pc) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all, my daughter is due to go live for broadband next week..she has asked me to help her set ...

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

connecting wifi enabled laptop to router ( no desktop pc)

hi all, my daughter is due to go live for broadband next week..she has asked me to help her set up her connection/router..it has been an absolute age since i connected to sky broadband so i am looking for a little help,i have only ever connected through a desktop first..then added a wifi enabled laptop later, so what is the procedure for laptop only connection..she wants it wire free..she is using my old laptop ( which i have used for a few yrs on sky & it has built in wifi )..so then ...here goes...when the router is up & running do i just connect phone line(& filter)...then search for her network,find her network & enter appropiate information etc..then thats it ? or even though she only has a laptop do i have to use ethernet cable at first for any reason ?..i know when connecting to desktop i have used ethernet cable but is set up different for laptop, i hope you understand what i am trying to explain, many many thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Thanks

Re: connecting wifi enabled laptop to router ( no desktop pc)

Hmm, You should be able to connect using wireless straight away. But if not you will have to get an Ethernet cable and plug the laptop into the router and then access the routers configuration settings by typing http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar and then enable WiFi and make sure that it has a WEP, WPA or WPA2 security on it to make sure no one piggybacks on your daughters connection.

Thanks

hi, yes i know about accessing the router etc..but i do not know if the router is automatically set to wifi broadcast...or as you suggest.. if i do have to access the router to enable it..i am just hoping that it is automatically configured to broadcast wireless( hoping someone can say yes or no for definate)...and if it is then is it just the case of connecting the phone cable & filter to tel socket, find network etc etc without the need for ethernet cable,,,cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The Sky routers are supplied with wireless enabled using WPA encryption by default. The SSID and network passkey is printed on the router.

You should be able to connect by wireless immediately but any changes to the wireless setup, ie, changing the network key should be done by cable. Using wireless to make these changes can cause you to loose the connection. The network key and SSID should be changed to a more secure one as soon as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

many many thanks guys...at least i know now that wifi is already enabled in router & set up (all being well) should be straight forward...i knew about changing settings password.encryption etc etc...but i could not for the life of me remember if i would have to use the ethernet cable for set up...now i know i do not....once again, many thanks guys !

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

It would probably be worth enabling wireless access control as well just for a bit of extra security.