Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Really strange problem when downloading, anyone help?

This is a discussion on Really strange problem when downloading, anyone help? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All. Last week i had to buy a new router from Sky as my old one had concked out ...

enigma27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Really strange problem when downloading, anyone help?

Hi All.

Last week i had to buy a new router from Sky as my old one had concked out and was over a year old.

Old router was a black netgear one and the new router is a sagem.

Now basically when i download anything at max speed i cant seem to do anything else to do with the ineternet... webpages dont load... my GF's laptop cant connect either... but slowly as the downlaoad speed starts to settle or as the doanload is finishing internet activity comes back...

Strange thing is i never loose connection to the internet it just seems when downloading its using every last squeeze of speed from my line and leaves nothing for any other internet activity.

This never happened with the sky router based on the netgear make nor on the 3rd party router i was using while waiting for the new sky router to turn up...

Dont think anything wrong with my line as its been up and rock sold for almost 4 months ( lady at sky was very impressed with my line )

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18013 kbps 1146 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 8.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 9.6 db

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

re: Really strange problem when downloading, anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma27 View Post
      Strange thing is i never loose connection to the internet it just seems when downloading its using every last squeeze of speed from my line and leaves nothing for any other internet activity.
      downloading clients are generally designed to max out your connection speed, i think there is a way to configure them to use a limited amout of connections(torrent clients) and can limit the download speed if need be. ensure your not uploading at your full speed as well.

This never happened with the sky router based on the netgear make nor on the 3rd party router i was using while waiting for the new sky router to turn up...
      im fairly sure this wouldnt be a router problem, although somebody may confirm what was wrong with the netgear router?

Exchange:
      Thanks

The netgear router just stopped working... looked like the connection on the back had gone for the dsl socket...

just tried putting the 3rd party router i have back on donwloaded a 600 meg file at full speead and could still surf the web pages loaded no problems at all....

stuff the sky router back on... downloaded the same file and as soon as it hit full speead couldnt load any web pages till it slowed down.......

Im sure routers have some kind of small processor of some kind.... maybe the one in the sagem cant do too much when its being maxed out?

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

not really, they arent the best routers in the world but the problem your having isnt shared by the thousands, maybe millions of sky customers using a sagem router. if your downloading exactly the same file at the exact same speed on both routers and only one lets you browse whilst doing it i am very shocked. are you connecting wirelessly? if so it is likely the wireless is simply poorer on the sagem router than your non-sky router

Exchange:
      Thanks

no im on a wired connection....

Just tried it again incase it was a fluke....

put the belkin adsl router on download a file at full speed and can still browse internets no problem.

put the sagem router back on downlaod the same file and as soon as it hits full speed tried to refresh a webpage and it comes back saying page cannot be display.. pause the download and webpages work again.... rsumethe download and as soon as it hits full speed cant refresh internet pages...

very strange

mikehiow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I've found the Sagem router to be hopelessly slow in its interface, which may signify a slower cpu/less ram than the netgear leading to it bogging down with a lot of connections.

Are you testing over HTTP, Torrent, Usenet or other? Which client, and at what speed?

Why did you buy a new router from Sky if your third party one was working OK?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikehiow View Post
      I've found the Sagem router to be hopelessly slow in its interface, which may signify a slower cpu/less ram than the netgear leading to it bogging down with a lot of connections.

Are you testing over HTTP, Torrent, Usenet or other? Which client, and at what speed?

Why did you buy a new router from Sky if your third party one was working OK?
      Because i phoned sky because initially i thought it was a line fault and as they then found out it was a router fault they had already flagged it as dead so getting help in the future with a router they new wasnt working would have been hard...

to be honest im always abit cautios of using a 3rd party router when they say dont... while i was on the phone with sky they asked me to plug in the 3rd party router to see if they could at least see it connect to rule out a line fault which it did so they can definatley tell your using 3rd party equipment and i didnt want them to get funny about me using it...

to be honest if they dont condone it but ultimatley dont card ill continue to use it as its a better router and much more customisable and wireless range is better....

do you think they would say anything or contact me if i continue to use it?

also im confused about getting my sky username and password... i originally extracted it from the netgear sky router so surley the sagem with generate a different usersname and password when i enter the details onto the well know website app? does that mean the username and passwords are tied to the router itself and not me?

i.e could i get a sky router rfom another random address and plug it into my line and it would sync as its tied to the sky network and not specific to my line? if i do use the 3rd party router i dunno whether i should us the user / pass generated using the netgear router or generate it from the sagem router?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

yes the username/password as linked to the router, not you. this means anyone with an active Sky BB line and active router can get online...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket