Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speed

This is a discussion on Slow speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone Hope there is someone who can help. My dad has been signed up to Sky for nearly a ...

lspight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sketty
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slow speed

Hi everyone
      Hope there is someone who can help. My dad has been signed up to Sky for nearly a year now. He is on the Sky Everyday package up to 10MB but like most gets nowhere the max. Today I changed the BT master socket over to the ADSLNATION faceplate and removed all bell wiring in the house. The noise margin improved when directly connected to the socket by about 3db from 7db to 10db. Otherwise the stats remained the same. He is connected to the Sketty exchange in Swansea which according to google maps is 3.4 miles away by car.

The statistics below are from today after all the work has been done
      Downstream
      1536 kbps
      55.0 db
      7.3 db
      Upstream
      604 kbps
      29.8 db
      16.0 db
      Sagem Firmware Version 1.9Sky

If the downstream speed remains almost always around 1.5MB does that suggest the line is capped in some way? If so can this be determined and could this be lifted and if yes to around what theoretical speed?

Many Thanks
      Leon

2. Advertisement
      SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Thanks

Re: Slow speed

By the sounds of things you are heavily capped, with a line attenuation of 55db you should be receiving speeds of about 4.5mb's or maybe a little more depending on the quality of your line. I wouldn't give sky a ring just at the moment, not until you have heard from a more experienced person on the forum.
      Just wait around, you will most likely get a reply from Isitme or User5.

Thanks

Thanks SOF006, I'll wait for their replies. The line attenuation is in a range from 50db-55db. The noise margin is 7.1db to 10.9 With the XTE-2005 fitted the numbers are 50db and 10.9 respectively. There isn't much more I can do our end I think, I would appreciate any advice on how to engage Sky next.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With the XTE-2005 fitted the numbers are 50db and 10.9 respectively
      Why are you not using it? If your download noise margin increases to 10.9dbs, that indicates you are capped and could possibly get another one or two Mbs. The figures in your first post show that you are getting as much as you can, so your internal wiring is reducing your possible speed. Using the filtered faceplate will isolate your wiring and give you the best speed possible. Your line may also do better on the G.DMT mode, rather than ADSL2+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I've been swapping the face plates around to isolate where the noise is coming from. I've now finished that and the xte will remain in place. Is my next step to call sky and ask to be placed on a adsl 2+ and lift any cap in place? Or is there any more I can do within the house?

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lspight View Post
      I've been swapping the face plates around to isolate where the noise is coming from. I've now finished that and the xte will remain in place. Is my next step to call sky and ask to be placed on a adsl 2+ and lift any cap in place? Or is there any more I can do within the house?
      repost your current stats and we will see if there is more to be done. you want to ask sky to take you off adsl2+ and ask to be put on g.dmt, not the other way round as g.dmt suits longer lines like yours. your only capped if your downstream noise margin is above 7db, if it is already at 7db or very close to it then this wont leave much room for an increase in speed. SOF006 the OP is capped and should be able to get more for his attenuation but he is capped correctly as the snr is 7.3db and 7db is the target so it isnt really worth uncapping the line unless we can get the snr up

Thanks

If you have a filtered faceplate connected to the master socket and you connect the router to it, that is all you can do. The faceplate, provided you have fitted it properly, will isolate all your other wiring so there is no need to worry about it. If you are still getting around 10-11dbs, call Sky and ask them to configure your line as you have made improvements to your wiring. You could ask them to try your line on G.DMT(ADSL1) just to see if you get a better result. If you are lucky enough to get one of the guys who post here, they will fix you up in minutes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you for all your replies to date. The speed has significantly improved following a call to Sky. The present stats are as follows:

Downstream
      5056 kb
      49.0 db
      7.4 db
      Upstream
      512 kbps
      28.0 db
      16.0 db

The ticket will remain open for 72 hours but the immediate results look like the best we can get for now. Is there more I can do though?

Thanks

That is much better. It looks like you have been moved to G.DMT which is suiting your line better.

TomD

Useful Utilites