Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Massive downloads without doing anything

This is a discussion on Massive downloads without doing anything within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK half an hour later: Uploaded 113mb downloaded 8.7 mb (I looked at some photos on Facebook). Does the Sky ...

NOTTNICK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0115
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Massive downloads without doing anything

OK half an hour later:
      Uploaded 113mb
      downloaded 8.7 mb (I looked at some photos on Facebook).
      Does the Sky Usage log traffic in both directions?
      On downloads, it looks like I am well within what I would expect.
      have run 'Malware' scanner and Avast.
      Puzzled.
      Nick

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

More:
      Uploads still as high.
      I had ie & chrome running together a moment ago.
      When I shut them both down, the uploading stopped for about 30 seconds, then continued again just as high. Could this be a clue?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like you have a bot on your PC. Uploading would not normally be anywhere near your download unless you were using P2P or Torrents. You PC may have been taken over and being used to send out spam. If this is the case it will be detected by Sky and you will be disconnected until you can prove that your PC is clean.

It is difficult to recommend what you should do, this type of bot is usually so well concealed that nothing short of formatting and reinstallling will get rid of it. If you have run Malwarebytes as I recommended earlier and it found nothing you could try another called Superantispyware, this will sometimes detect nasties that Malwarebytes misses. The other you can try is TrojanHunter, which is a dedicated trojan hunter and remover.
      SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
      Download TrojanHunter 5.3 Build 994 Free Trial - This program searches for and removes trojans from your system - Softpedia

Both of these are fully functional trials.

There are other scanners but to be honest if the ones I have recommended do not find the problem, you should save your data, format your disk and reinstall your OS.

Can you shut down your browsers and open a Command Prompt and run netstat /b Copy and paste the result here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Problem solved
      It was my end, and it wasn't a nasty either!
      There was an on-line backup process running (Roxio Backontrack).
      It didn't show in task manager and there wasn't anything showing elsewhere either. It's not even in the start menu!
      For some reason it had decided that a substantial part of an image taken 8 months ago needed re-doing. I had set it up last year and totally forgotten it was there. It suggested that after initial image, only changed data would be uploaded. I certainly hadn't added dozens off gb lately.
      Of course it was sending out data at maximum speed available.
      I am very relieved - like you I was convinced I had something nasty on-board and know how insidious these bots can be to web users.
      I am grateful for all advice. It wasn't until I was shown 'Netmeter' that I discovered it was uploads and not downloads causing huge data usage.
      Thanks again,
      Back now to sensible usage levels.
      Nick

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Glad you have solved it. Thanks for letting us know the reason, that is another little bit of knowledge to be stored away for future use when someone else may have the same problem. It should have shown up in netstat /b, I don't understand why it didn't.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It might have shown in netstat/b but there was no indication as to what the process was. certainly nothing with a title (ie Roxio / backup etc.) I seem to remember only a couple of processes showing and they looked innocuous.
      Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12