Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Line Fault?

This is a discussion on Line Fault? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just replaced the micro filters sky send you with good quality ones and these are my router stats ...

Kylep10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Line Fault?

I have just replaced the micro filters sky send you with good quality ones and these are my router stats now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 864 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44 db 16 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 12 db

BTW, like one person has said. I purposely rang up sky to tell them to cap my line as it was causing more errors on my line and as I like to play xbox, was more than annoying me.

Another thing I don't get though, my internet would lag/disconnect if the phone rang. Upstairs is my phone which can't have a sky microfilter on as Caller ID wouldn't work with it but with the master socket downstairs, we had a sky microfilter on which the router connects to. We have now replaced that microfilter for a new one and my connection no longer lags/disconnects when the phone rings but I have tried replacing the microfilter upstairs (the one the phone connects to) and still caller ID won't work. I don't understand why as I thought it only didn't work due to a sky microfilter.

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

is there a change in stats with the upstairs phone unplugged? a microfilter shouldnt cause problems with caller display.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      is there a change in stats with the upstairs phone unplugged? a microfilter shouldnt cause problems with caller display.
      I have just unplugged the phone and these are now the router stats:

Noise Margin 11 db 12 db

I couldn't have the sky microfilter upstairs due to the caller display not working when it was in so I had my old ISP's microfilter (AOL) with the phone as caller ID worked with it. I have just recently bought two new microfilters but upstairs the caller ID won't work with the new microfilter so I have to carry on using the AOL microfilter as it works with that for some reason.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There are a couple of reports on the forum about Caller Display not working with the supplied filters. Like you they discovered that a good quality filter cured the problem. The 'soap on a rope' type are the best if you are replacing any more. I don't know why Sky let themselves down by using low quality filters. A few pence more on these items would save a lot of problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There are a couple of reports on the forum about Caller Display not working with the supplied filters. Like you they discovered that a good quality filter cured the problem. The 'soap on a rope' type are the best if you are replacing any more. I don't know why Sky let themselves down by using low quality filters. A few pence more on these items would save a lot of problems.
      I've tried replacing my microfilters but still caller id doesn't work, if its a certain type of microfilter that makes caller id work then I'll have to look around the forum and look into getting them.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

so I had my old ISP's microfilter (AOL) with the phone as caller ID worked with it
      There is no reason why you should not continue using it as long as it is working. Fitting and using a filtered faceplate is the best solution of all, your extension wiring is isolated so you don't need any plug in filters.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

These are my normal router stats with the new microfilter:

Noise Margin 12 db 12 db

These are my router stats from the test socket with the new microfilter I have been using today:

Line Attenuation 44 db 27 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 12 db

Why is there a 11 db difference for upstream on my connection?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The differance is cause by the differance in connection between the faceplate which normaly fits the test socket, and the filter plug, why this does not effect the upstream I do not know. You need a filter faceplate to slove all your problems.

The caller id problem is common when using plug in micro filters and is cause by the filter suppresing the called id data which is transmitted just before the phone rings (the polarity of the line toggles to tell the phone that data is on the way) Again a filter faceplate will solve this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      The differance is cause by the differance in connection between the faceplate which normaly fits the test socket, and the filter plug, why this does not effect the upstream I do not know. You need a filter faceplate to slove all your problems.

The caller id problem is common when using plug in micro filters and is cause by the filter suppresing the called id data which is transmitted just before the phone rings (the polarity of the line toggles to tell the phone that data is on the way) Again a filter faceplate will solve this.
      Any Filter faceplates you or anyone recommends or should I just look to buy the one with the best reviews, thats what I did when buying these new microfilters. The phone also is upstairs with its own microfilter, so would I have to buy two filter faceplates and put them on both my sockets?
      Last edited by Kylep10; 06-05-10 at 01:44 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Also using this guide DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help, I've noticed that something is plugged into the 4 connector. Does anyone what the 4th connector is for and if it is needed, if not I can take the wire out and see if that fixes anything, my master socket use to have the bell wire in but I took that out a while back so it can't be that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast