Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Annoying Disconnect, Renegotiated at crippled speeds

This is a discussion on Annoying Disconnect, Renegotiated at crippled speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone. Ive had this problem on/off for ages now - ever since I got sky which was about a ...

collateral47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02476
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Annoying Disconnect, Renegotiated at crippled speeds

Hi everyone. Ive had this problem on/off for ages now - ever since I got sky which was about a year ago! Firstly, it used to occur once/twice a month, now its more regular.

Usually Im at around 8000kbps but sometimes the connection drops and then im at 1500kbps for quite a while. Reconnecting/switching on/off doesn't work and Ive changed routers at this speed just to see if I would get a better speed - i dont, i still get 1500ish

Sometimes the router drops connection so I use an old netgear dg834 i think (its not the sky one and it doesnt have wireless), the connection is usually more stable but this is also prone to lower renogations like I mentioned. When i do connect the ADSL cable back to my sagem, it (the sagem) usually works presumably after some time - i dont really know why.

Ive changed mostly everything, the ADSL extension (just got it last week), filters, swapped routers, tried it close to the socket but I still keep getting the same problems.

I was on sky mid then got "upgraded" to max because I kept going over the "limit" I think after the line DLM im now getting 7000kbps. I dont think there is a problem with the line, sky have tested it and said there isn't. Either its the router (im beginning to doubt as i have had trouble from the netgear from sky - it had similar problems) or something with the internal wiring or just sky.

PS. because sky upgraded me, do i have to sit for another 12 month contract?
      and I have turned of upnp.

Router STATs
      WAN PPPoA 4695 5580 0 1239 3531 00:16:59
      LAN 10M/100M 27237 27088 0 505 159 10:49:32

Connection Speed: Downstream: 1567 kbps
      Upstream: 333 kbps
      Line Attenuation
      Down:44 db
      Up: 26 db
      Noise Margin
      Down: 7 db
      Up: 8 db
      Last edited by collateral47; 01-05-10 at 09:46 AM.

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Annoying Disconnect, Renegotiated at crippled speeds

Quote Originally Posted by collateral47 View Post
      Hi everyone. Ive had this problem on/off for ages now - ever since I got sky which was about a year ago! Firstly, it used to occur once/twice a month, now its more regular.

Usually Im at around 8000kbps but sometimes the connection drops and then im at 1500kbps for quite a while. Reconnecting/switching on/off doesn't work and Ive changed routers at this speed just to see if I would get a better speed - i dont, i still get 1500ish

Sometimes the router drops connection so I use an old netgear dg834 i think (its not the sky one and it doesnt have wireless), the connection is usually more stable but this is also prone to lower renogations like I mentioned. When i do connect the ADSL cable back to my sagem, it (the sagem) usually works presumably after some time - i dont really know why.

Ive changed mostly everything, the ADSL extension (just got it last week), filters, swapped routers, tried it close to the socket but I still keep getting the same problems.

I was on sky mid then got "upgraded" to max because I kept going over the "limit" I think after the line DLM im now getting 7000kbps. I dont think there is a problem with the line, sky have tested it and said there isn't. Either its the router (im beginning to doubt as i have had trouble from the netgear from sky - it had similar problems) or something with the internal wiring or just sky.

PS. because sky upgraded me, do i have to sit for another 12 month contract?
      and I have turned of upnp.
      not to sure about the contract renewal but i wouldnt imagine yor stuck in a 12 month contract.

can you post your stats from the TEST socket(details in my signature) with just an adsl filter and the adsl cable sky provided?

collateral47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02476
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Stats with master test plug
      Attenuation:
      Down: 26db Up: 7.5dB

Noise Margin
      Down: 20dB Up: 23dB

Methinks the internal wiring (maybe bell wire?) is causing the problem

I can't seem to fit the other ADSL filter in since its the long rectangular type with no cable between the actual filter and the socket, looks like

Now I repeated this again, but swapped the downstairs filter. The phone seems to making a pulsing sound like a siren instead of a flat noise that it usually does. However the stats are the same as when I plugged in the test socket.
      Last edited by collateral47; 01-05-10 at 11:11 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by collateral47 View Post
      Stats with master test plug
      Attenuation:

Noise Margin

Methinks the internal wiring (maybe bell wire?) is causing the problem

I can't seem to fit the other ADSL filter in since its the long rectangular type with no cable between the actual filter and the socket, looks like

Now I repeated this again, but swapped the downstairs filter. The phone seems to making a pulsing sound like a siren instead of a flat noise that it usually does. However the stats are the same as when I plugged in the test socket.
      internal wiring is causing the problem yes. it is more than likely your adsl extension. extensions dont work well with broadband

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You should be receiving a much faster speed than that surely? your Line attenuation is around the right area for you to be getting speeds of around 16mb. Unless your on a speed of up to 8mb. Which in that case im completely wrong and you should just ignore me. ^_^

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SOF006 View Post
      You should be receiving a much faster speed than that surely? your Line attenuation is around the right area for you to be getting speeds of around 16mb. Unless your on a speed of up to 8mb. Which in that case im completely wrong and you should just ignore me. ^_^
      he is on the mid/everday package which is up to 10mb. the reason he is not receiving this speed has been established. OP has a SNR of 7db at 1.5mb which is the target SNR. when OP connects to test/master socket he sees a jump in SNR:

Attenuation:

Noise Margin

this drop in attenuation and radical jump in SNR means that OP can get alot more than 1.5mb and can get a stable connection but his internal wiring is preventing this(possible the extension cable)

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      he is on the mid/everday package which is up to 10mb. the reason he is not receiving this speed has been established. OP has a SNR of 7db at 1.5mb which is the target SNR. when OP connects to test/master socket he sees a jump in SNR:

Attenuation:

Noise Margin

this drop in attenuation and radical jump in SNR means that OP can get alot more than 1.5mb and can get a stable connection but his internal wiring is preventing this(possible the extension cable)
      I see, thank you ^_^