Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New customer with some stats for people to take a looksee at

This is a discussion on New customer with some stats for people to take a looksee at within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Afternoon 27th ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 4096 kbps512 kbps Line Attenuation15.0 db9.0 db Noise Margin31.6 db13.0 db Evening ...

Astec123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middlesbrough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

New customer with some stats for people to take a looksee at

Afternoon 27th

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4096 kbps512 kbps
      Line Attenuation15.0 db9.0 db
      Noise Margin31.6 db13.0 db

Evening 27th

Connection Speed 4096 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.0 db 9.0 db
      Noise Margin 32.5 db 13.0 db

Anyone able to give us an idea what sort of a connection speed we should get?

Running ping tests suggests a huge ping over 100ms is this normal with Sky in the initial 10 day period? Coming from Be broadband I am hoping that we will be getting a similarly brisk service, considering we are now about 250-600metres from the exchange by line run according to BT, 20metres as the crow flies (it's the next building along from ours.

Cheers for any help and advice. And thanks to everyone who have posted in other threads that we have been browsing for advice and tips
      Last edited by Astec123; 27-04-10 at 09:34 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Thanks

Cool Re: New customer with some stats for people to take a looksee at

Hi, you've got pretty much the same line attenuation as me and here's what I get.

Connection Speed 18014 kbps 1109 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 8.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 8.8 db

27 April, 2010 00:31:45 15496 Kbps 910 Kbps

I had to call sky to have it bumped up a little.

It will be interesting to see if you get more or less speed than mine once the DLM has finished on your line.
      I'll be keeping an eye on this thread lol

Hope it goes smoothly for you as it did for me

P.S. my ping went nuts for a while during the DLM but they will bring the "max delay" down as the testing runs so it will come down.

On http://www.speed.io/index_en.html the ping for me is around 26-29 now but at the beginning it was around 50-60

Thanks

Re: New customer with some stats for people to take a looksee at

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
      Hi, you've got pretty much the same line attenuation as me and here's what I get.

Connection Speed 18014 kbps 1109 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 8.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 8.8 db

27 April, 2010 00:31:45 15496 Kbps 910 Kbps

I had to call sky to have it bumped up a little.

It will be interesting to see if you get more or less speed than mine once the DLM has finished on your line.
      I'll be keeping an eye on this thread lol

Hope it goes smoothly for you as it did for me

P.S. my ping went nuts for a while during the DLM but they will bring the "max delay" down as the testing runs so it will come down.

On speed.io - Internet DSL Speedtest the ping for me is around 26-29 now but at the beginning it was around 50-60
      Nice one. Cheers for the reply. I was pretty sure it was the same thing on the ping front during DLM with BeThere but that was 2 years ago so can hardly remember. We used to be about 1.5km from the exchange and got good speeds of about 13megs down and the full 1.3upload with a 50ms ping which I was always happy with, so hoping sky comes through with the goods and makes me an even happier bunny. I would be interested to see how your stats compare to my own as well.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'd expect somewhere between 16-18mbps. If you do end up getting more, then all's good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I'd expect somewhere between 16-18mbps. If you do end up getting more, then all's good.
      Cheers for that, don't know why I needed the confirmation, I shouldn't cast doubt over the information I have read about how these things effect the connection.

Nice to know I will be hopefully getting 3-5mbps over what we had previous and hopefully a better ping to boot

Thanks

Just to keep people in the loop of what is going on for us the lines now syncing at double what we started at

Connection Speed 8191 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.0 db 8.6 db
      Noise Margin 29.9 db 12.0 db

Getting about 7.1mbps down and 700kbps up currently at 30ms ping. So ping has dropped dramatically and is about 30ms less than we got with be at our old address. So all it has to do now is get a download speed of over 13mbps and will be very very happy.

Attenuation has gone up a bit and noise margin has gone down but seems to be fairly consistent results that I have been monitoring.

Thanks

You should see around 18mbps all being well with your wiring I would think as it's still a very low attenuation.
      If you've got a bit of time on your hands, here's a link to my thread. Its a bit long winded as I didn't have a clue what line attenuation and noise margins did or meant etc lol. Just noticing your line attenuation has risen reminded me that when I was with AOL before moving to Sky, my attenuation was 13db but I was told that it had risen because of the change at the exchange from ADSL to ADSL2+.

My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience

Thanks

Thanks

You should see around 18mbps all being well with your wiring I would think as it's still a very low attenuation.
      If you've got a bit of time on your hands, here's a link to my thread. Its a bit long winded as I didn't have a clue what line attenuation and noise margins did or meant etc lol. Just noticing your line attenuation has risen reminded me that when I was with AOL before moving to Sky, my attenuation was 13db but I was told that it had risen because of the change at the exchange from ADSL to ADSL2+.

My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience

Thanks
      Nice little read that.

Funnily the flat I live in the BT master socket happens to be in the farthest bedroom from the living room where all the connected devices are. So the master socket is a bit of a no no until I can establish a way to route an Ethernet cable through. However I am so far very impressed with the way things are going.

Fingers crossed for blisteringly fast speeds in a few days after the training! Luckily I am not too bothered about loosing out a little bit for now on the speed front but the ping is really amazing in my opinion compared to what I have been used to on previous connections in the last 3-4 years.

Thanks

With the advise of one of the forum moderators on here, I bought one of these :-
      Belkin Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable RJ11M-M 7.6M: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
      (as seen in the thread)
      It just replaces the standard RJ11 cable that you get with the router and plugs straight into the filter box then into the master socket. It helped me gain another 1mbps download and around 400kbps upload. Well worth a fiver lol The same cable in my local Comet store was 35!

P.S. If you do buy one for yourself, don't change it until after the training has finished. Then you'll have to give Sky a call to configure your line, like I had to.

Thanks

With the advise of one of the forum moderators on here, I bought one of these :-
      Belkin Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable RJ11M-M 7.6M: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
      (as seen in the thread)
      It just replaces the standard RJ11 cable that you get with the router and plugs straight into the filter box then into the master socket. It helped me gain another 1mbps download and around 400kbps upload. Well worth a fiver lol The same cable in my local Comet store was 35!

P.S. If you do buy one for yourself, don't change it until after the training has finished. Then you'll have to give Sky a call to configure your line, like I had to.
      Not going to do anything for now, leaving the modem be but logging the stats as the days go by and then I am going to hopefully document as a separate thread my introduction and first few weeks with sky and what I have done to get that magical speed that bit higher. I have an array of microfilters that I will be testing to see if there is any that performs better than the standard one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast