Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need help with FTP

This is a discussion on Need help with FTP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The problem is getting the files from the server to my pc everything connects fine.. I'm using a client that ...

klemmo2879 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hucknall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Need help with FTP

The problem is getting the files from the server to my pc everything connects fine.. I'm using a client that was recommended to me called Filezilla, easy enough to use but the transfer speeds to my pc are aweful, never above 250kbs, surely as it is a direct line from my pc to the server i should be maxing out my Sky 20mb package.

I've also used 4 other ftp clients and still getting the same slow transfer speeds which makes me think it is a problem with my router and the ports

I've checked with Open Port Check Tool and get "Error: I could not see your service on xx.x.xx.xxx on port (21)
      Reason: Connection timed out"

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys or any links that could help me

2. Advertisement
      Astec123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middlesbrough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Need help with FTP

The thing with FTP I have found running my own site on a server is also such annoying things as the routing of the data and any issues with file sizes. Lots of small files (what most websites tend to mostly be) vs. one very big file, means that speed never gets up to full whack as with a lot of files tends to be slower. All data is broken into lots of little bits so a batch of smaller files is more like this

Please send file 1 part 1 - PC request
      sending file 1 part 1 - remote servers action
      File 1 Part one received - PC reply
      Please send file 1part 2 - PC request
      sending file 1 part 2 - remote servers action
      Part two received - pc reply
      PC checks file is correct - PC pausing to verify
      File received complete - PC reply
      Please send file 2 part 1 - PC request
      file 2 part 1 received - PC reply
      And so on and so forth.

Sadly with anything there can be packet loss along the way at any point so there are a lot of request to be made to get all those files, one big file is more simple as its complete packets being sent every time not just itty bits and bobs and having to make requests for individual files all the time and check each of them.

That's the best way I can explain it in a layman's terms, I did have some diagrams from a few years back but these have since been lost to explain how it works more clearly. If your host like my own offers a zip/rar your site facility I suggest you try that and you will probably see a much improved efficiency in the download.

Out of interest is it a website you are managing? As I personally find if you are keeping a copy at home and uploading to the server works best rather than having to download what is needed every time and just to simply overwrite anything that needs updating.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Have you got FileZilla running in passive mode? Make sure that is on, and that it is set to use the server's external IP address. You are getting some traffic through so doesn't sound like an IP problem though.

The other to check is whether something is blocking or checking traffic as it comes through, like a software firewall or antivirus application. Unfortunately there are a lot of things that could cause the symptoms you show...

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

It also depends on where you're files are hosted. If you're with a cheap hosting company they could well be restricting bandwidth.