Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Does Sky break connection if you use more than xGB during the day?

This is a discussion on Does Sky break connection if you use more than xGB during the day? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Wow, I have have solved the problem!!! The solution seems to have been turning off keyword blocking. While I was ...

merrydown is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121427
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Does Sky break connection if you use more than xGB during the day?

Wow, I have have solved the problem!!! The solution seems to have been turning off keyword blocking. While I was at it, I also turned off the 'ping from wan' feature which seems to have been turned on by default and may offer a security hole.

I've been flipping every switch I can - unlikely as it might seem - in the style of Holms deductive reasoning. I installed a program called kiwi syslog server which has a 30 day trial which seemed like a good bet. I directed my router to send all info to my machine's syslog server.

I saw that as well as the intrusion attempts which I was seeing in the router (I am still getting one every 30 seconds) I got a whole stream of 'url_block matched' warnings probably 1 per second. I should add at this point that the only web-page I had open was you tube with no adverts showing... I looked in security at the blocked keywords I had put in (all I had added were yieldmanager, pkr and 888.com) and turned the facility off. The warning messages stopped and suddenly I was able to download files without the line dropping!

I don't know whether this is coincidence or why it worked, but my Sagem firmware is 1.9Sky at the moment and I have read that there are loads of bugs in the Sagem firmware. After doing a disconnect / reconnect, the syslog shows that a firmware update has been triggered. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but for now I will leave the site blocking facility off and report back if the problem recurs.

Actually, as I write I see on the kiwi syslog readout that the remote HTTP POST has been successful... I don't know if that means it is flashed or in the process. If it does upgrade, I will check also if the 'ping via wan' feature has been reactivated and turn that off...

I hope this is useful to someone or provides more food for thought...
      Last edited by merrydown; 19-05-10 at 09:38 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merrydown View Post
      Wow, I have had a degree of success here perhaps? The solution seems to have been turning off keyword blocking. While I was at it, I also turned off the 'ping from wan' feature which seems to have been turned on by default and may offer a security hole.
      If you are getting a lot of intrusions, it could be the ping feature rather than the keyword blocking that is causing your disconnections. Keyword blocking monitors URIs so unless your downloads are hitting a 'forbidden' URI that shouldn't be the problem.

Pings on the other hand can overload a router, forcing it to reboot/resync, if enough arrive within a short period - effectively a DoS attack. Turning off the feature does nothing else in security terms - if someone tries to ping your connection it returns 'host unreachable', which actually tells the source there is something there (otherwise it would just time out).

Just out of interest, what don't you like about the Sagem router? Do you have a specific bad experience or are have you just read bad things about it?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Mr S.

I don't like the Sagem router because it has a shorter range than previous routers I have bought and because the last one I had stopped working after 13 months. I also have this experience which means I can't use keyword/domain blocking which I found very useful in the past. Otherwise, it's 'ok', just not great.

The problem only stopped once I turned off keyword blocking. That was sending an error message literally every second which I couldn't see on the router log window, but became very obvious in the kiwi syslog window once I installed that. I believe that is what was irritating the router and causing the problem and I think must be a firmware bug since 1) there were no feeds to those sites up at the time and 2) even if there were, they wouldn't be polling once a second..

The ping feature was turned off a while before the problem stopped and intrusions continued after I turned it off. They are still coming in at a rate of once every 30 seconds - 15 minutes fairly reliably. I mention the security hole because of what you mentioned. If they can see the machine is there and responding to a ping I believe they will focus more intently on it rather than passing over it. If you do have a port tunnelled for any reason, I guess that means eventually they will probably find it.

Jim

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If your PC isn't compromised then don't worry - it's just someone/thing trying to get to your PC and the router doing it's job...

Don't think I ever check router logs, bore me personally
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

You'd check it eventually if your connection never allowed you to download anything or stream anything

No, I am not worried, but neither am I going to set up a beacon on the top of my computer saying "take me now!"

I'm glad I didn't stop troubleshooting at the rational stage or I'd still be waiting for sky to tell me that everything was fine despite the buggy router!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Still wouldn't look, I'd just reformat the PC and be done with it...lol!!

I'd look at turning things off but logs mean nothing to me - I know I'm secure so let the little buggers try and get in!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Ha ha! Fair enough, but you'd not be able to download anything ever again You'd have to call me!

Last edited by merrydown; 19-05-10 at 01:07 AM.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merrydown View Post
      Ha ha! Fair enough, but you'd not be able to download anything ever again You'd have to call me!

i dont get it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      i dont get it
      What don't you get?

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

why would he not be able to download anything again/need to call you? as he said he would format his pc rather than sitting reading through router logs(im falling asleep thinking about it)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast