Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Does Sky break connection if you use more than xGB during the day?

This is a discussion on Does Sky break connection if you use more than xGB during the day? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As posted on the thread about intrusion which I thought applied to me, I think I have got to the ...

merrydown is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121427
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Does Sky break connection if you use more than xGB during the day?

As posted on the thread about intrusion which I thought applied to me, I think I have got to the bottom of my problem now...

I think my router is having problem with interference/overlap from other wireless devices in my house and in my close. I think it has so many collisions and interference issues that it freaks out and tries to restart the connection (maybe it even resets, I haven't been able to run to the box and watch it when it happens yet). This obviously takes the wired connection down too.

I know that it refused to work consistently (when wired) last night and at all via wireless, but when I turned my video sender off this morning it started working again...

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I was wrong it isn't the wireless as the problem occurs even when the wireless access point is turned off. As predicted, Sky say it isn't the line that's to blame and I have tested from the master socket with exactly the same problems and stats, so I know that it isn't anything beyond that point which is to blame either

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

And the Sky router works OK in all of this? Seems to me the only thing you've not changed is the router...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

could be the router what router you using maybe it cant cope with downloading i had that problem with older routers when i was with other isps like bt etc the bt home hub the white one was terrible for that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      And the Sky router works OK in all of this? Seems to me the only thing you've not changed is the router...
      Nope, I changed the router!

When I started this post I was using my Linksys/Cisco, but I became convinced it must be the router so I bought a new Sagem (pah) router off sky which I have been using since the end of last week...

Same problem...

So far I have taken the following steps with no joy:

-master socket direct connection
      #NOTE line attentuation and speed stats identical from master socket AND BT extension off master socket usually used
      -different adsl filters
      -all wireless in house turned off
      -all wireless channels
      -wireless access point disabled
      -all other wired devices disconnected
      -tried from desktop pcs, mac wireless and laptop wireless and wired
      -rapidshare and thinkbroadband.com/download.html used for file download tests
      -different routers, sky's / linksys/cisco routers
      -provided yellow cable and third party rj45 cable
      -provided dsl cable and alternative dsl cable

In my opinion it has to be the line and not the equipment...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Doubt it's the line - possibly a fault with the card exchange end but good luck finding a CST agent who'll think enough to look into it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

did you post your stats from your extension and from your test socket? i had a look through all 3 pages and couldnt find any proper stats. unfortunately if you mention using an extension to sky or a BT engineer if sky do arrange one they will think the exact same thing as me.. internal wiring problem. how long have you left your router in the test socket to actually test the connection?

Thanks

I don't know what that means, if it is at the exchange would it be affecting other users most likely? In my lay terms, the exchange is the line in as much as it is a problem between the open internet and my house...

We shall see what Sky say, but I don't hold out much hope either... Well, there's always competitors!

As for stats, I haven't posted them no, but when I looked at them and when I tested the download I had almost exactly the same results (in both stats revealed by the router and download issues) after the master socket as from it so logic dictates that the problem is before the master socket. I haven't the time to check again right this second, but my downstream attenuation was approx 17.2/17.3 and upstream was approx 7.1/7.2 If I try again later will post exact figures...

If it is a problem with internal wiring then I'd just have to accept that and pay to have it fixed, that's fine by me if it really is the problem.
      Last edited by merrydown; 17-05-10 at 06:45 PM.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merrydown View Post
      I don't know what that means, if it is at the exchange would it be affecting other users most likely? In my lay terms, the exchange is the line in as much as it is a problem between the open internet and my house...

We shall see what Sky say, but I don't hold out much hope either... Well, there's always competitors!

As for stats, I haven't posted them no, but when I looked at them and when I tested the download I had almost exactly the same results (in both stats revealed by the router and download issues) after the master socket as from it so logic dictates that the problem is before the master socket. I haven't the time to check again right this second, but my downstream attenuation was approx 17.2/17.3 and upstream was approx 7.1/7.2 If I try again later will post exact figures...

If it is a problem with internal wiring then I'd just have to accept that and pay to have it fixed, that's fine by me if it really is the problem.
      when you say have it fixed what do you mean? its not your attenuation thats important, its the SNR levels. if an engineer gets to your house and finds the problem is with your extension cable the chances are he will plug the router directly into the master socket and leave, not before dropping a bill of around 160.

post your stats from current location and test socket so we can see the SNR levels, if it is a problem with the internal wiring then you can fit a pre-filtered faceplate easily and cheaply without worrying about a pointless engineer bill.

Thanks

Ok, I figured since the problem is the same for me whether I am hooked up to the master or extension that showed that the problem was before the master socket...

Here are the screengrabs of the stats taken from the master socket and extension from the master socket...

Thanks for the info...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast