Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can only connect when making a telephone call

This is a discussion on Can only connect when making a telephone call within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My problem is that my router drops its connection intermittently and the only way I can regain a connection is ...

folkct20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01303
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can only connect when making a telephone call

My problem is that my router drops its connection intermittently and the only way I can regain a connection is to make a telephone call (I call my business number as I don't need the call to be answered). When I make that call the line is generally very noisy and I can hear the router trying to connect then when I see the solid green internet light on my router I can hang up the call and everything is hunkey dorey until the connection drops again.

This may happen many times in one day or appear to be fine for days at a time; I can't be sure how long the "fine" periods are as the house is empty the majority of the time and the connection may have dropped and re-established itself without anyone knowing. Sky Customer Solutions have told me they cannot monitor the number of times the connection drops from their end.

I am confident this is not specifically a Sky problem as I had exactly the same issue when Pipex Homecall was my ISP and as they could not fix the fault it was the driving factor to me changing my ISP to Sky.

I have, obviously, made many calls to Sky but once the connection is re-established they say that everything will be fine in the future, and I imagine thay just take my protestations that the problem will re occur as sure as eggs is eggs as the rantings of a disgruntled customer who has just had to wait too long on the line. The last time I called Sky (about 10 minutes after a 2 hour call to their Customer Solutions) they said the only thing left for them to do is send out a new router. The new router arrived today and, surprise surprise, THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

I have only the one telephone socket, which is the master socket, and only one telephone and one router connected to it.
      I have replaced the master socket faceplate (with two others) but this just to appease the Sky helpdesk as the problem occurs whether the micro filter is plugged into the master socket faceplate or into the test socket.
      I have replaced the micro filters with many others (at least 6) once again to jump through hoops for the Sky helpdesk staff.
      I have even replaced the telephone.

Has anyone else had this problem?
      Or, does anyone know how to make Sky "own" this problem until it is resolved?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Can only connect when making a telephone call

Sounds like a line issue, you'd need to get in touch with your provider...or is the line fine with just a phone in the test socket?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This usually indicates a high resistance fault in the phone line, eg, a bad joint. This is a fault in your phone line and has nothing to do with Sky broadband. You will have to pursue it with your phone rental provider. Report it to them as a noisy line, don't mention broadband or you will be referred back to Sky Broadband. When the engineer comes out show him what is happening with your broadband. If he is worth his wages he will get an idea what is wrong.

To be absolutely sure, try your Test socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ah, should have made clear Sky is my line provider.

Thanks

Then you need to get onto Sky Talk to get BTOR involved - might be an SVBN issue, though...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Svbn?

Thanks

if you call the BB line, and let it go to the 1571 voicemail does it say 'welcome to BT answer 1571' or 'welcome to the sky voicemail service'? if it's the latter, you're on Sky's full network so you need to speak to them. If it says the former, then get in touch with BT as they're your provider

Thanks

If you have Sky phone rental then you will have to get on to the Sky phone support side, not the broadband. They should send out BTO to fix the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Okay guys.
      Thanks for this info.
      I will see whether I can get the phone support people to do something.
      Trouble is when I unplug the router from the micro filter the noise on the line generally disappears and I imagine that the phone support people will tell me it's a broadband filter problem.

Thanks

This is the problem with phone v broadband. The phone may work perfectly well, which is all your phone provider is contracted to do, but here are line problems which effect broadband and the only way to fix them is getting the phone line properly fixed. Who is actually responsible for a line fault that only effects broadband is difficult to sort out.

TomD

Useful Utilites