Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Couple of Issues

This is a discussion on Couple of Issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI first time poster. I am currently with Virgin and have ordered Sky Broadband Max when I cancelled Virgin I ...

Russdf1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: catford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Couple of Issues

HI first time poster.
      I am currently with Virgin and have ordered Sky Broadband Max when I cancelled Virgin I was given an approx date of 9/10/06 when given a MAC code which I gave to Sky I received letter from Sky stating that BT informed them that my line will be activated on the 4th! I received router almost immediately, I am annoyed as I have only recently bought the BT voyager 2110 70 and am happy with it why must I use the Sky router can anyone tell me the advantages of this I am on Catford exchange about 1 mile form exchange can anyone tell me the speed I can expect?
      Bit worried by the bugs others have posted here I have never had any disconnection problems with Virgin or previously with BT Openworld, is this a router problem thanks in advance. Russ

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Russ

You can go here estimate of the maximum speed your line can support on an ADSL2+ service all you will need is the Attenuation from you currant router.

As for the router I did the same thing I bought a Netgear DG834N Rangemax for 130 abut 5 weeks before I switched, I am now using Sky's router and its been stable for me though there are quite a few people who do seem to be having all kinds of problems with theres.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you Wheelie I am no techno bod I don't understand the Attenuation biz at the risk of humiliation can you or anyone explain in basic terms the difference between adsl and adsl2 which I am told the sky max package promises I just done a speed test on my current Virgin adsl line I am on the 8mb package the test results were 6716 download /372 upload does the adsl2 sky max 16mb mean my speed will double overnight getting 13-14 mb or am I salivating for no reason.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Forgot to say I plugged in the Sky router and attempted to use with my current broadband supplier to test it out but was told I was offline is this router designed to only work with Sky's service if so when my activation date comes can I just plug in and go with no modifications to my pc

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes the sky router will do nothing untill your on SkyBB

If you dont mind a little reading this may answer a few of your questions
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here