Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My Unlimited Broadband

This is a discussion on My Unlimited Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys I have today upgraded to Sky's Unlimited package because we kept going over our allowance I have some ...

MrMischief is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My Unlimited Broadband

Hi guys

I have today upgraded to Sky's Unlimited package because we kept going over our allowance

I have some stats here I'd like some advice and can I ask if there is anything I need to do to improve the connection, such as lower ping, etc? On my previous package (Everyday), the max speed I got was just over 7MB.

Are my router stats ok, etc?

I have done some speed tests at various sites and I am getting different speed test results. One even said 44MB!! Impossible on an upto 20MB package.

Thanks in advance
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Unlimited Broadband-ping-test.jpg   My Unlimited Broadband-speedtest.jpg   My Unlimited Broadband-stats.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: My Unlimited Broadband

It really depends on the line quality, but I would expect to see more sync speed from that attenuation. As you've just been upgraded, DLM will re-run on the line also, but at the moment there is no room for more speed.

If you have a test socket (link below), plug into there with no extension cables going to the router and re-post the stats.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

In regards to pings, sky can lower max delays on their end to improve ping times. DLM leave them at 8ms (the lowest, and best that sky offer in regards to ping times) a lot of the time, but sometimes it takes a call to sky to get them changed.

Thanks

Forgive me for being a bit dense, but what's DLM?

I have done the master socket test and attach the new stats. Not much difference in speed, only 1kb difference.

In regards to pings, attenuation, etc, to improve things, what do I need to tell/ask Sky to do to improve the line?

Our line quality is pretty good, since we are not far from the exchange and our house is a new build.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Unlimited Broadband-stats-1.jpg  

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

DLM is a training period that occurs on new and upgraded connections to sky. It runs for up to 10 days and tries to find the best stable and quick speed for the line conditions. With the conditions on the line at the moment, it wouldn't make any difference to the speeds, however.

The line is set to 10240 kbps downstream and 608 upstream. However, there is no room for more speed, even from the test socket results. Can you confirm those stats are with the faceplate unscrewed off the master socket? If so, try the following:

Swap over for a new microfilter and ensure the set-up into the test socket is exactly like the following: test socket > microfilter > router. This means using the short grey dsl cable to the router that sky supplied, using no extension cables or even the phone plugged into the filter for the time being. Reboot the router and re-take the stats after trying that. We're looking for an increase in noise margin specifically.

In regards to ping times. Asking sky to reduce your 'max delays' to 8ms is the best sky can do.

Thanks

Ok I will do it tomorrow, and yes it was done with the faceplate unscrewed off the master socket.

What are noise margins? Do they need to be lower or higher?

Thanks

I have just read the DLM thread and what it does. Apparently, I am not supposed to disconnect my router whilst DLM is running on my line. I have to disconnect it before I test the master socket again.

Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrMischief View Post
      I have just read the DLM thread and what it does. Apparently, I am not supposed to disconnect my router whilst DLM is running on my line. I have to disconnect it before I test the master socket again.

It's ok. DLM takes about 2-3days to start

Thanks

Morning, people.

Here is the stats you asked for, from the test socket >> microfilter >> router.

Do I need to call Sky and ask them to change anything? I am currently getting around 8.1MB in speed test results and I am sure my line can get more than that.

If I call Sky, what do I say to them? Last time I spoke to tech support, I got some newbie who didn't know what she was talking about....

I thought I might attach my exchange info, for information.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Unlimited Broadband-stats-2.jpg   My Unlimited Broadband-exchange-info.jpg  
      Last edited by MrMischief; 20-04-10 at 01:05 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If these are the results from your Test socket, you are not going to get much more, a few Ks at most. You sync speed is far below what it should be, but the low noise margin shows you are getting about as much as you can. Can you check that when your faceplate is off that none of your extensions have a dial tone? Can you also confirm that you are not using an extension to plug into the Test socket and that you are using only the cable supplied by Sky?

Do a quiet line test by plugging a corded phone and dialling 1 digit and listen. You should only hear a very quiet hiss at the most.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Can you check that when your faceplate is off that none of your extensions have a dial tone? Can you also confirm that you are not using an extension to plug into the Test socket and that you are using only the cable supplied by Sky?

Do a quiet line test by plugging a corded phone and dialling 1 digit and listen. You should only hear a very quiet hiss at the most.
      I am not using any extension cables and yes, I am also using the the grey cable Sky supplied. Unfortunately, as I am Deaf, I am unable to check for tones on the line.

I am confused about what my speed actually is. I did 2 speed tests from 2 different sites...see the attached screenshots. Not the same....
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Unlimited Broadband-speedtest.jpg   My Unlimited Broadband-speedtest-1.jpg  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast