Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grade II virus infringment disconnect

This is a discussion on Grade II virus infringment disconnect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am hoping that someone has some experince or is interested in the problem I have had with sky ...

fcuksky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Grade II virus infringment disconnect

Hi, I am hoping that someone has some experince or is interested in the problem I have had with sky broadband.

I have been with Sky for a number of years and not had many problems. The first thing that happened is that I was disconnected from Sky because they believed that I had viruses on my laptop. In order to sort this out they said I needed to reformat the drives and get rid of the viruses. I got someone professional to clean out the computer and get rid of the viruses.

I then phoned up Sky with the presence of the computer expert guy to say that they were happy everything has been done and that they will switch me back on and no further action needed to be taken. A few day later was having problems with the connection which showed an orange light. Originally when I phoned they said it was a problem with the authenticity of the server.

It took a few days before I got the story that there was a Grade II virus infringement. When I spoke on the phone the person said that he was unauthorised to do anything and that I would have to contact customer services, only by mail or fax. They said that they wanted confirmation that the laptop had been reformatted. So I faxed them the information but was not given any indication that they act upon it. They said they were reviewing it and did give any other details.

I have been about a month with the internet. Just now they have switched me back on but I have already switching to Virgin Media in two days, which is thankful after they have left me with no internet for a month and not given any apology or rebate.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Grade II virus infringment disconnect

Grade 2 abuse will usually occur when the router is unsuspended from the first instance, grade 1, without the network being properly formatted. Of course, the network may have been formatted properly, in which case it's possible you've been infected again somehow. It'll then flag up grade 2 soon after, the router's mac address suspended again and on sky's end, it'll show that you're a zombie in a botnet.

The problem with abuse issues past grade 1 is that the abuse team deal with them, who are no longer contactable directly, so it leads to long-winded processes in some cases.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It has happened a few times and from what you say your machine was infected by a virus. The 'someone professional' you got may have missed something and when you machine was connected, it started to show itself again, probably be sending out spam mail. When that happens the network abuse team will disconnect you until written confirmation is received from a certified pro that you PC has been formatted and reinstalled. This will happen with any ISP not just Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Mr professional should of formatted the pc/pc's first time around.

fcuksky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Thanks

It was not the fault of the professional because the drives were throughly cleaned and removed of viruses after the first Grade I instance.

Many of the problems were caused by the sky email account which I have never used and which seems to have been hacked into by someone around the world. I place the blame on Sky as I have never activated this email account and have asked on several occasion for them to terminate this account which they are unwilling to do.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Sorry, if it was the email account then the issue wouldn't have pointed back to your PC if the account wasn't in use. The blame is not with Sky on this.
      At worse Sky would had received a blacklisting on it's email servers.
      The grade 2 alert was triggered from your IP and was flagged back to Sky, this is how most alert systems work, they track the IP causing the issue.
      Cleaning and removing viruses is not what is asked for when you get a grade 1 warning, people are told to format to ENSURE the virus is clear. There are a number of virus tools out there that are very good a picking up known virus infections but cannot deal with malware/ spyware/ trojan issues. We spent a week using 5 professional tools on our work network after being hit by a trojan infection bought in by an outside engineer.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fcuksky View Post
      It was not the fault of the professional because the drives were throughly cleaned and removed of viruses after the first Grade I instance
      if the computer "expert" didnt understand the difference between cleaning out the pc and actually reformatting the HD then yes it is his fault. if simply removing the viruses was going to work then sky would not have told you that you must reformat the pc. sky have turned off the broadband again because you obviously havent completed the necessary steps to get rid of the virus.

puskas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028256
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

And more to the point Virgin will more than likely do the same !

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puskas View Post
      And more to the point Virgin will more than likely do the same !
      yeh i would say so, seems to be a standard policy with ISP's

parvez123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

I have had the same prblem as this grade 2 infrignment. what the hell is going on. Theve discconcetd me now saying need to fax them confirmation. Is it no true that formatiing clears what ever virus there may be??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast