Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

sky shows support for deb

This is a discussion on sky shows support for deb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; sk shows support for digial econamy bill disgrace here link was posted on 15th Sky Broadband shows unique support for ...

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

sky shows support for deb

sk shows support for digial econamy bill disgrace here link was posted on 15th

Sky Broadband shows unique support for Digital Economy bill - Broadband Genie

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: sky shows support for deb

Why is it a discgrace to want to help enforce the law? If you're innocent you've got nothing to worry about have you?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

thats the point though inocent ones could get punished because how the hell do they tell which is illegal and which isnt what if i downloaded loads of updates from microsoft update and i end up with a letter through my door

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      thats the point though inocent ones could get punished because how the hell do they tell which is illegal and which isnt what if i downloaded loads of updates from microsoft update and i end up with a letter through my door
      Those downloading or sharing copyrighted material will be those targeted, not IP addresses downloading a lot of legal content.

Thanks

oh i see but what if i download illegal stuff but dont share those files just keep for personnel use which is what i do

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

oh i see but what if i download illegal stuff but dont share those files just keep for personnel use which is what i do
      Well, it's still copyright infringement to download copyrighted material without permission to do so.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

The clue is in your question 'illegal' stuff is illegal! End of. Would it be okay to inject heroin as long as you didn't share it!?!?!?!? Nope, same here.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Why is it a discgrace to want to help enforce the law? If you're innocent you've got nothing to worry about have you?
      because the law is a disgrace, along with half the laws in the uk.

ArtemisX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      because the law is a disgrace, along with half the laws in the uk.
      very true. couple of issues spring to mind on this topic:

My isp can't see what i'm downloading if i encrypt my connection (VPN/Proxy) - this is just going to be the way people share files on the internet.

I can spoof my IP - what happens if i spoof yours and you then get send my warning letter?

That i have to prove im innocent seems.... slightly backwards, isn't it supposed to be the other way round?

In several occasions in cases recently IP addresses are not evidence enought to use to identify anyone - cases in USA have actually had network printers and dead people sent "warning letters".

If a rights holder can even fairly identify an internet connection having downloaded a file illegally, how can anyone accuratly identify who the infringer was sitting behind the computer?

what will happen to public wifi?

If i get caught and have "technical measures" taken against myself, what will be the expected respons from others in my family who use the internet connection themselves to run a business?

when my services - such as gas and electrics are only available online how do i get access to them when i'm disconnected for being caught for downloading 3 mp3s?

Why can i post a copy of a CD as mp3s and know no one is allowed to open it as post but my internet isn't private, where did my basic human right to privacy go suddenly?

That at one point during the discussion of this bill only 15MPs were present is just wrong, and so few even bothered to vote, or that so little time was devoted to discuss such a huge bill.

When someone is disconnected whats going to stop them hopping onto their neighbours Wifi? Im good with PCs and i know its not that easy to understand routers, most people struggle doing more than just web browsing.

People download illegal files at work, how long will it be untill those big businesses receive their 3rd warning? weeks or just days? then what happens?

What do you think the reaction will be when families start getting disconnected when the children, who run rings round their parents on the computer continue to download music.

If downloading is killing the music and film industries why are sales increasing Is Piracy Really Killing The Music Industry? No! | TorrentFreak

How much are lobby groups to answer for pushing for this bill - the BPI did write part of it!

even if this whole idea does reduce illegal downloading is it likely to make any difference to the ammounts artists receive from sites like itunes and spotify - go read about lady gaga and spotify.

Why were 34,000 people on the government petition website ignored along with 20,000 who wrote letters to their MPs?

Who in their right mind beleives that the values suggested in lost revenue and jobs are correct? i saw figures of upto 7.4 billion in lost income in UK alone!!

Is it right that any ISP should act in such an official capacity solely at the command of copyright holders? where's the accountabilty here?

Oh and i don't see myself staying with Sky with this sort of acceptance of a breach of my basic fundimental rights. Talktalk are looking rather tempting.
      Last edited by ArtemisX; 18-04-10 at 11:36 PM.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

also that bill specifically mentions schools, they cant really permanantly ban schools from accessing the internet just because one kid has done some downloading

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast