Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

sky shows support for deb

This is a discussion on sky shows support for deb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; il be very suprised if virgin or tesco or er any other isp joins to tackle it heh be a ...

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: sky shows support for deb

il be very suprised if virgin or tesco or er any other isp joins to tackle it heh be a laugh

2. Advertisement
      slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      how is disconnecting paying customers going to make sky money? even if they replace disconnected customers with new ones its not going to make them any money
      Well with my warped logic of how evil Sky works this is how....
      (pure Rick anti sky theory btw)
      They disconnect you, but because you have broken the TC's/been a naughty boy/broken the law...... whatever, then you have to buy out the remainder of you BB contract - or you still get billed for it untill your year is up.
      So they still get the money from you, but have the free capacity for someone else to join to take your place.

The real way they will make money out of it is.....
      They know by disconnecting the file sharers/pirates they will be freeing up large portions of their network capacity, because lets be honest... these users are the ones using the most bandwidth.
      This enables sky to get even more subscribers onto their network,because nobody will be hammering all the bandwidth anymore,so they can over subscribe it.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is no longer a bill, it is an Act of Parliament.

Sky as a major content provider could hardly do anything else. I would be very surprised if Virgin, another major content provider, did not comply without dissent.

I came across an article on aaisp.net which is worth a read, in conjunction with the actual Act. Bear in mind that the writer says they are not a lawyer, so the suppositions made may be incorrect.

Digital Economy Act
      Sorry for the 2 posts in a row, but just read this article.... very interesting.

I guess the thing which gets under my bonnet (and many others maybe?) with this Act is this....

1) It was probably drawn up/supported/ financed by the Entertainment industry.
      2) Only a handfull of MPs discussed it, even fewer of them probably knew what it all meant.
      3) I haven't seen many Popstars/Movie stars/Music or Enterainment moguls on the dole queue.
      4) This country is a rip off in just about every sense, now they are further taking money from the poor/masses (by making them buy all their music/films ) to give to the rich eg the Music/Movie industry.
      5)How about bringing the price of fuel/ utilties down so we can afford to spend more on luxuries/lesuiure/entertainment, maybe we wouldn't pirate so much then????

Basiclly those who benefit from this act are the
      1) Entertainment industry... like they need any more cash
      2) The ISP's, as they can kick out the pesky high bandwidth users
      3) The govt... they get their VAT on the increase in Entertainment sales. (although this could be a mooted point as maybe the pirates wont spend their cash somewhere else if they buy their film instead of d/l it.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The pirate bay embarressed the BPI and just showed how little they know about the internet when they spammed fake IP addresses around their site.

It was funny when a load of pensioners then take them to court as they would never download "smack my bitch up"

My wife worked in forensics for over 10 years and when she talked to the piracy team they welcomed p2p as a lesser of evils as they were putting the Chinese/Russian gangs out of business with their pirate DVDs, which profits were then used to buy drugs etc.

So I geuss the big winners are organised crime as we'll see an upswing in dodgy DVD's back on the markets, so well done there to the entertainment industry for paying to lobby for organised crime. D'OH
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

How about this -
      You further agree that neither you nor any person using the Service with your permission shall use the Service to send, receive, download, or place upon any website hosted by us any material which is obscene, offensive, defamatory, unlawful, or infringes the intellectual property or other rights of any third party.

We shall be entitled to terminate the Agreement without the need to give any notice in writing to you upon the occurrence of any one or more of the following events: if we in our opinion believe that termination of the Service is necessary to protect our goodwill or reputation and/or of our services or products (or necessary to protect the service provided by us to other users); if we in our opinion believe that you are in breach of the provisions of Clause 3 or Clause 4 of these Conditions; the receipt by us of any complaint, letter before action, or proceedings by any third party in relation to the manner of your use of the Service, or the content of any material published by you through the use of the Service
      Draconian measures by Sky you might say, but this is not from Sky, it is from IDNet and I have no doubt other ISPs have a similar clause hidden away in their small print.
      It is important to realise that no ISP supports illegal downloading, what they don't support is the method being used to stop it. The ISPs do not seem to have been consulted when the bill was originally drawn up, if they were, their advice does not appear to have been taken. They are fully aware that innocent users are going to be accused and are going to have to prove their innocence in a Court of Law. The fact that if they do, all their expenses will be reimbursed, means little if they do not have the means to fight the accusation in the first place.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

see this is what i mean inocent people will be acused this world has gone bonkers damn stupid laws il try anything to protect my connection either from hackers or snoopers spying on what im doing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123