Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Weird connection problem with PS3/PSP

This is a discussion on Weird connection problem with PS3/PSP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello! I know there have been lots of threads here on PS3 connection issues but I believe this one is ...

abaminog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Weird connection problem with PS3/PSP

Hello!

I know there have been lots of threads here on PS3 connection issues but I believe this one is new...

I used to have a reliable connection to the Sky router from my PS3 and PSP and could download game updates, browse internet, you name it. Then I tried to download smth in PS3 earlier today and, as soon as the downloading started, the connection failed. I tried to reconnect (automatically and manually), double checked all the settings on the playstations and router, the whole nine yards, but always the same final result: I can connect to the route after restart but as soon as I try to use the internet (browser or download), the connection fails almost instantly. Both on PS3 and PSP. Another wireless device (laptop) is working fine. By the way, I tried reconnecting the PS3/PSP both with and without laptop connected.

The security log of the router shows odd "Intrusion" messages almost every minute -- see the file attached. I can't remember seeing them before. I don't think they are directly linked to the PS3/PSP as they keep appearing all the time even after I turn off the playstations. I am not even sure whether these issues are related.

If anyone could help with advice, I'd be grateful.

Cheers!
      Attached Files Attached Files

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Weird connection problem with PS3/PSP

Have you tried a wire to rule out any wireless issue?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Have you tried a wire to rule out any wireless issue?
      No. The PS3 and router are too far apart. Plus I really don't see how the wire can help if (1) my laptop is still working fine on wireless, and (2) both PS3 and PSP have the same problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If only the Sony products are effected it could be an update which is causing the problem. The first thing to try is turning off the security in your router and see if the connection is maintained. Sony products had a lot of problems with encryption some time ago, I thought it was sorted out, but maybe they have returned.

Smithy's suggestion is quite valid, just because one wireless device works does not mean that others will. If the connection still drops, it indicates that it is something deeper than wireless.

You might also like to try changing the router channel.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry, nothing helps of what has been suggested... Just to repeat, the weird thing is not that I cannot connect to the router, but that the connection drops as soon as I try to use internet.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have had a look at your debug log and I will not pretend to know what it all means, but information seems to be being sent to Sony and an address in Moscow and one in Brighton. The first is probably understandable but why the others I have no idea . By the way if you save your logs in Wordpad instead of Notepad, the formatting will be saved better. Copy and paste your Notepad to Wordpad rtf and you will see what I mean.

I don't know if it will do any good, but I suggest you reset the router by pushing a pin in the reset button on the rear. Before you do this, save you settings to a file on your Desktop, so that they can be returned when the reset is complete. You can do this easily by using the 'Back up Settings' link in the router. After you reset, I would advise unticking any items that are ticked in the WAN settings, this may prevent some of the attempted kernal intrusions you are receiving.

Resetting the router can cure all sorts of strange problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.