Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router intrusions followed by connection loss.

This is a discussion on Router intrusions followed by connection loss. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Heya, I'm wondering if I can get any help with a problem I've been having on and off for the ...

Noxulus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router intrusions followed by connection loss.

Heya, I'm wondering if I can get any help with a problem I've been having on and off for the full length of my sky contract - around 16 months now. Basically everything will be working fine when out of the blue my connection drops, I check my router logs and I get this:

Apr 11 11:26:35 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=222.208.183.218 DST=90.207.50.118 LEN=40 TOS=0x0C PREC=0x00 TTL=109 ID=256 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=12200 DPT=8000 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Apr 11 11:47:32 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=88.80.10.1 DST=90.207.50.118 LEN=40 TOS=0x04 PREC=0x00 TTL=119 ID=33634 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=418 DPT=80 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Apr 11 11:54:00 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=125.224.199.227 DST=90.207.50.118 LEN=48 TOS=0x04 PREC=0x00 TTL=105 ID=6357 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=3091 DPT=8080 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
      As you can see the time intervals are regular and it makes browsing a pain in the rear when every 10-20 minutes your internet just gives out.

If anyone can share some insight I'd be grateful, thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router intrusions followed by connection loss.

The first attempted intrusion is from China, the second from Sweden and the third from Taiwan so I doubt if there is any connection. Go to the WAN setuo in the router settings and make sure all the boxes are unticked.

The router is doing its job and keeping out intrusions and I doubt if these are responsible for you loss of connection. It is more likely to be a fault in your line or the router. If you post your stats from the normal position and from the Test socket, they may point to the cause of your problem.
      How to get your router statistics
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

You might also like to download and run Routerstats Lite, this will show if a sudden drop in your noise margin is causing the drop.
      Internet Software

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I just find it hard to believe the timing between the intrusions and my connection loss is mere coincidence, but then again what do i know about these things :P

As requested my router stats:

ADSL Link
      Downstream
      Upstream
      Connection Speed
      6432 kbps
      448 kbps
      Line Attenuation
      34.0 db
      18.5 db
      Noise Margin
      6.1 db
      22.0 db

Do those figures offer any insight? Or should I move onto testing the Master Socket.
      Last edited by Noxulus; 11-04-10 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks

Your noise margin is very low, especially for a BT connection. Try in the Test socket and see if your speed/noise margin improve.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Which way am i wanting the numbers to be going? Or am i after a larger noise margin

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm turns out there isn't a test socket in my master socket, probably something to do with the age of the house. Maybe it's time I ask for an engineer to pop around then..

Thanks

Hmm turns out there isn't a test socket in my master socket,
      That's a pity. Is there a wire connected to terminal number 3 behind the faceplate? If there is pull it off. This is the ring wire and is not required when using filters. You do have filters on all the sockets that are in use, preferably the first thing plugged into the socket?

You want to see your noise margin going higher and in your case (Connect) your sync speed also rising. With your attenuation you should be able to get the maximum speed out of your connection, about 8128kbps. The fact that your are not, means you have noise on the line. This could be due to your internal wiring or to a fault in your external line. Unfortunately without a Test socket, this is difficult to diagnose. The best you can do is remove the ring wire, plug the router into the master socket and remove everything else you have plugged into your phone sockets Take your stats and see if there is a difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites