Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Security...

This is a discussion on Wireless Security... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, In the past 2 hours my USB adapter has dicovered 4 unsecured Sky networks!I am not an expert in ...

garyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Security...

Hi,
      In the past 2 hours my USB adapter has dicovered 4 unsecured Sky networks!I am not an expert in wireless security by any means but have configured my LAN as follows in the hope it may help others secure there home networks.

This obviously wont suit everyone but it helps me sleep easier!

Changed Default Administrator Passwords
      Enabled WEP Encryption [32 characters]
      Changed the Default SSID
      Enabled MAC Address Filtering on Netgear router
      Restricted DHCP range to allow only 2 IPs [laptop & desktop]
      Block inbound traffic
      Enable outbound traffic on port 25, 80, 443 & 3389 [work purposes]
      Disabled SSID Broadcast
      Turned off the router when not in use
      Disabled C drive share & file & printer sharing
      Installed XP SP2 & Windows defender [Free]
      Enabled XP firewall
      Installed AVG or Avast AV [free]

Am I paranoid or are my fears real!!

G

MS defender
      http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
      AVG - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Gary

You will see that quite a lot I do around my area as well

Nope I do much the same as you for the very same reason and each MAC has an internal IP assigned to it in the router as well.

Always better to be safe than sorry
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Just set it that your computer only connects to Infastructure or WPA-SPK Networks only. Il create a tutorial on how to do that tomorrow as im not using a lappy ATM!

Or just disable your wireless network connection when not in use! But you should change your default Administrator passwords straight away.. Whether you have Wireless or Not!
      Last edited by Keiran2K8; 14-10-06 at 02:46 AM.

Cyrus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Streetly - CMSTRE
      Broadband ISP: Max, 15.3MB Downstream! B E A Utiful
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      For crying out loud guy's secure your wireless network! With respect, the vast majority of Sky Broadband users will be inexperienced users, hence, all of the open SSID's available to you. All IP addresses are monitored by the ISP and what you don't want is some little T*SS*R; A) Using your bandwidth to download, B) Accessing P2P file sharing sites to download undesirable content, most importantly C) Being able to port-scan your networked PC's.
      Just at the point where you sit and think... "Well I think that will do now, I think I'm secure", check & check again that you have made good use of ALL of the security options available to you!

SECURITY 1st – ALWAYS!
      "If you are planning for a year, sow rice;
      if you are planning for a decade, plant trees;
      if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people."

fixer2035 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      How can they be unsecured as they are set to WPA as default, unless the user has switched it off!

Always change the admin password, and preferably the SSID as well. It is my understanding WPA is better than WEP so stick to that.
      I have sold my sold soul and joined SkyBroadband

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      @garyb

Four unsecured Sky networks - you mean just within your wireless range there are four people who have turned off the default security settings on their Sky routers? Or do you mean four visible Sky networks. There's a big difference.

Even so, I agree wireless is inherently secure.

WEP is hopeless now (why are you not using WPA?) and can be cracked in under a minute by brute force. WPA is much harder (a brute force attack would take billions of years) but a vulnerability has been found which can be exploited to grab the authentication at handshake.

Turning off SSID can't hurt but would only delay an intruder for a couple of seconds.

Ditto with MAC address filtering.

Restricting DHCP wont protect you against spoofing any more than MAC filtering will.

The best wireless security? Turn it off.

If that's not possible then (and this should be done in any event) secure your PC with a good, properly set up software firewall - not the inbuilt XP one.

Any hacker who has persevered to get through the available wireless security, got past the router firewall and a software firewall is someone on a mission! They'd be after you specifically as there would be any number of easier targets.

garyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

>>Four unsecured Sky networks
      They had disabled WAP/WEP as I "could potentially" browse \\*.*.*.*\C$

>Restricting DHCP wont protect you against spoofing any more than MAC filtering will.
      Agreed, but if I restrict to 1 IP address & I am using it, they cant aquire one from DHCP.

>>Any hacker who has persevered to get through the available wireless security, got past the router firewall and a software firewall is someone on a mission! They'd be after you specifically as there would be any number of easier targets.

Again agreed, but it would be far easier to crowbar my back door!!

G

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Where on earth do you live? Peterborough must have some extraordinary population density characteristics.

I've just been pondering on your experiences and did a quick "back of the envelope" calculation:

A couple of weeks ago I read a post on another forum from a Sky employee who said they'd passed 50,000 connections. Let's say they are (optimistically) at 100,000 now.

There are approximately 30,000,000 households in the UK. So 30m divided by 100k = 300.

So, 1 in 300 households currently have SkyBB. Sounds a bit high but lets go with it.

You can see four Sky networks which means that (assuming even distribution across the country , which clearly isn't so) you, theoretically, are in wireless range of 1200 households!

For some bizarre reason out of those 1200, the 4 with SkyBB are clustered within a few yards of you. Not only that, they've all turned wireless security off (I'm surprised the average SkyBB customer even knows how to yet alone would do).

I can't even begin to try and calculate the odds of that.

I'm buying a lottery ticket tonight. The chances of winning must be far greater than the odds I'd have placed on your discovery.
      Last edited by Saturday; 14-10-06 at 02:32 PM.

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      When I disable SSID Broadcast my laptop wireless card (D-Link CardBus) is unable to connect to the Sky router despite being set to auto connect to that SSID with correct WEP password.

Any ideas?
      John in High Wycombe

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Well the easy answer is why turn SSID off? It really won't enhance the security of your network at all. Anyone who is capable of even trying to get into your network can detect it with or without SSID being broadcast. WEP will protect you against casual snooping but WPA is much more effective. If your card won't support it then if you're worried about security then you should consider replacing it.

The reason you're having problems is probably because of a feature within XP SP2. You can get a Microsoft hotfix for this if you really feel you need it.
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-10-06 at 10:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast